Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G23 Prop Fell Off .....

Funny story ...

I frequent this discussion board and read about the G23 with 550HP motor prop shaft issue as it happened to another member months ago and mentioned it to my dealer when they had my boat for a month to finish up warranty work back in June. They said they had checked the bulletin and everything was good on my boat .... Apparently they were wrong ....

Two days ago I was out on the big lake for a cruise and on our way home noticed some slight vibrations traveling at cruising speed of 45 km/hr. I thought it was odd so I stopped and hopped into the water, checked on the prop/rudder noticing no damage, seaweed or anything else of concern. We then continued and the vibrations slowly got worse and I continually was decreasing my speed to avoid damage. I got under the boat 2 more times to check on everything, I had no clue what it was but the prop nut was on tight with the cotter pin still installed and I could not see anything of concern. It got to a point where I was traveling just off idle (about 12 km/hr) because anything above the vibrations were so bad the steering wheel was shaking. Keep in mind at cruising speed we were probably 1.5 hours from home.

Without warning at such a slow speed we heard a *tink* noise and the engine RPMs increased.... I pulled back the throttle and shut the engine off. Knowing exactly what had happened I went under the boat again to verify, and behold no propeller.... Great.

I am not sure if anyone has towed a G23, but it is a beast. it took us 6 hours from that point to get home. I am not very happy, especially since I am very keen on the operation/maintenance of my boat and brought up this exact issue with my dealer to ensure we were not left stranded.

We got the boat last year in august around this time and it only has 57.7 hours on it.

I measured the prop shaft and it is 1-1/8" diameter. I have the XS550 motor, and from what I remember the issue was that the shaft needed to be thicker? I was wondering if anyone can comment/knows what the issue actually is? I am very keen on getting my boat fixed and back on the water ASAP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	379995 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2.jpg
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	379996 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3.jpg
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	379997 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4.jpg
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	379998 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5.jpg
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	379999
    Attached Files

So - there's two threads over on WW forums now (see below) regarding supposed snapped G23 drive shafts.

There are no pics - and I haven't seen ANY mention of it over here.. so I'm wondering if it's BS.

Has anyone here heard anything about this? or is this haters hating?

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796029
    http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...=793044&page=3 (scroll down toward the end)

Comment

This is the first I have heard of this. Will be interesting to see if this is a real issue or not.

Current Boats —> 2024 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2018 SAN 210 TE -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196 -- 2002 Ski Nautique -- 2001 Ski Nautique -- 2000 Sport Nautique -- 2000 Nautique Super Sport -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1996 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (Twin-Engine, 1 of 13) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4) -- 1980 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4)
      Former Boats —> 2023 Super Air Nautique G23 --
      2022 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2020 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2019 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2018 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2017 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2016 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2015 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2013 Super Air Nautique G232012 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2011 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2010 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2008 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2007 Air Nautique 236 Team Edition -- 2007 Air Nautique SV-211 -- 2005 SV-211 -- 2003 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition -- 2003 Air Nautique 226 -- 2003 Sport Nautique 216 -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196-- 2001 Sport Nautique -- 2001 Ski Nautique --1999 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1999 Air Tique 176 -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1994 Ski Nautique -- 1993 Barefoot Nautique -- 1983 Fish Nautique (TWIN ENGINE, 1 of 4) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (SINGLE ENGINE)

Need something for your boat? Please check out our site sponsors! Not only do they offer the best products available, they also support this site.
      NautiqueParts.com - Roswell Marine - Phoenix Trailers - SkiSafe - PCM Marine Engines - PerfectPass - C&S Marine - OJ Propellers - WakeMakers -- Swell Wakesurf

Comment

I know there is a recall notice for my G23, but I do not know what for and certainly I have had no issues.

Comment

Pretty much everything regarding Nautique on WW is BS. They were also saying the transmissions were blowing on the Gs . WW is all about trying to convince people that MB,Axis and Sanger are just as good as Nautique for 1/2 the cost.

Comment

To be fair, a tranny did blow on one of the first Gs out of the box....

I have heard rumblings about some issues with the G (not Wakeworld BS, actual facts) and a recall out there as well......I was planning on ordering my G for the spring when I winterize my 230....I am as hardcore Nautique as anyone, but this stuff is making me consider waiting until I hear everything is all worked out or maybe a different direction....
            Current Nautique: 2013 G23
            Previous Nautiques: 2012 SANTE 230, 2011 SANTE 230, 2010 SANTE 210, 2006 SANTE 210

Comment

If it is true that it happened, why is it so hard for him to throw up a few images? I would have taken some right away for my own documentation or for insurance and warranty work. I just am a visual person...
              Either way, this will be interesting to follow. I have no doubt Nautique will do the right thing if the situation requires it.
              1997 Ski Nautique

Comment

Originally posted by AllianceBJJ View Post
                To be fair, a tranny did blow on one of the first Gs out of the box....
                Was this ever confirmed by the people from Nautique? I was told something different from a Nautique employee back when it happened.
                2018 SAN G23 XR550
                2015 SAN G23 XR550
                2014 SAN G23 XR550
                2013 SAN G23 XS550
                2013 SAN G23 ZR450
                2011 SAN 230
                2010 SAN 230
                2000 XStar
                www.mnspringride.com

Comment

Originally posted by ironj32 View Post
                  Was this ever confirmed by the people from Nautique? I was told something different from a Nautique employee back when it happened.
                  This is what I was told from by an area rep...Not one from my area by the way...

Would be interested to know if/why the stories are different...
                  Previous Nautiques: 2012 SANTE 230, 2011 SANTE 230, 2010 SANTE 210, 2006 SANTE 210

Comment

Lets say for the sake of argument that its true a trans did let go on a promo boat and there are two cases of drive shaft failure .
                    So wouldn't that be a vendor issue? I remember working at a GM dealer and getting bad 350 blocks and a rounded cam lobe on a 3800 V6 with 52 miles on it .It dosnt have to be a design flaw sometimes you just get defective new parts.

Comment

Still seems fishy to me but maybe 550hp and a 15" prop are alittle more than these 11/8" shafts can handle?

Comment

Originally posted by Nautiquehunter View Post
                        Lets say for the sake of argument that its true a trans did let go on a promo boat and there are two cases of drive shaft failure .
                        So wouldn't that be a vendor issue? I remember working at a GM dealer and getting bad 350 blocks and a rounded cam lobe on a 3800 V6 with 52 miles on it .It dosnt have to be a design flaw sometimes you just get defective new parts.
                        There were quite a few vendor and supply issues which held up numerous "almost complete" $100K+ Gs on the line....wouldn't suprise me if a rush to get a part out may have caused a vendor to shortcut a QC process....

Nautique problem/vendor problem....Perception is reality in these types of things and it all will rest on Nautique to fix.....

Comment

I just thought it strange that nobody here had mentioned anything.. nobody at the local dealer had heard anything - but there's two related threads at WW which seem to be the only place on the net that mention it.

It COULD absolutely be true.. but if so - it's really easy to back it up.

Comment

The thread on WW is gonnnnne......

Comment

Originally posted by philb View Post
                              The thread on WW is gonnnnne......
                              Hmmm.....Lawyers might be good for something after all.

Comment

Working...
                              X