• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schaabj
    started a topic G23 Prop Fell Off .....

G23 Prop Fell Off .....

Funny story ...

I frequent this discussion board and read about the G23 with 550HP motor prop shaft issue as it happened to another member months ago and mentioned it to my dealer when they had my boat for a month to finish up warranty work back in June. They said they had checked the bulletin and everything was good on my boat .... Apparently they were wrong ....

Two days ago I was out on the big lake for a cruise and on our way home noticed some slight vibrations traveling at cruising speed of 45 km/hr. I thought it was odd so I stopped and hopped into the water, checked on the prop/rudder noticing no damage, seaweed or anything else of concern. We then continued and the vibrations slowly got worse and I continually was decreasing my speed to avoid damage. I got under the boat 2 more times to check on everything, I had no clue what it was but the prop nut was on tight with the cotter pin still installed and I could not see anything of concern. It got to a point where I was traveling just off idle (about 12 km/hr) because anything above the vibrations were so bad the steering wheel was shaking. Keep in mind at cruising speed we were probably 1.5 hours from home.

Without warning at such a slow speed we heard a *tink* noise and the engine RPMs increased.... I pulled back the throttle and shut the engine off. Knowing exactly what had happened I went under the boat again to verify, and behold no propeller.... Great.

I am not sure if anyone has towed a G23, but it is a beast. it took us 6 hours from that point to get home. I am not very happy, especially since I am very keen on the operation/maintenance of my boat and brought up this exact issue with my dealer to ensure we were not left stranded.

We got the boat last year in august around this time and it only has 57.7 hours on it.

I measured the prop shaft and it is 1-1/8" diameter. I have the XS550 motor, and from what I remember the issue was that the shaft needed to be thicker? I was wondering if anyone can comment/knows what the issue actually is? I am very keen on getting my boat fixed and back on the water ASAP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	379995 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2.jpg
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	379996 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3.jpg
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	379997 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4.jpg
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	379998 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5.jpg
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	379999
    Attached Files

• SoCal G-Man
    replied
    Originally posted by gary s View Post
    The nut most likely did not back off- the prop seated deeper from the force pushing the boat. Bet the dealer just slaps the prop on,does not bother to seat it properly. Here is a good pictorial on how to do it,3rd block down is interesting
    I have always done lapping when replacing a prop with a new prop. That is how I was taught by Acme and others. I assumed that everyone did. LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Kenv
    replied
    I dis-agree. Over the years my family and friends have bent props on our Nautiques and Malibus and never "seated" the old repaired prop or brand new props. Just through that thing on the shaft, tighten the nut and YEARS later....NO issues. I don't think this has anything to do with what happened to the G shafts. Good guess though....but naw.....

Leave a comment:

• Tallredrider
    replied
    Originally posted by gary s View Post
    The nut most likely did not back off- the prop seated deeper from the force pushing the boat. Bet the dealer just slaps the prop on,does not bother to seat it properly. Here is a good pictorial on how to do it,3rd block down is interesting
    Very interesting. I have never heard of using a valve compound on the shaft. I think it makes perfect sense that if the prop and shaft are not perfectly mated, it would cause breakage, but hope that the folks at Nautique would have discovered that problem long ago.

Leave a comment:

• gary s
    replied
    Last edited by gary s; 11-29-2018, 02:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GMLIII
    replied
    Originally posted by Tallredrider View Post

It was a tiny bit loose, causing the slop. It just seems unusual for the nut to back off. FAIK, the dealer had to have an urgent prop replacement for another customer's boat and took mine and didn't put it back solidly. I suspect this would have eventually caused a problem, if it was going on for 350 hours.

Let's see if this works, I video'd it a little bit: I am not sure if everyone can see it or just me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ap2Fva8ZA6j9pFJM7
    Definitely loose not doubt, glad you discovered it before a potential shaft shear

Leave a comment:

• Tallredrider
    replied
    Originally posted by GMLIII View Post

Was your prop nut loose prior to removing it when the prop just slid of the shaft?
    It was a tiny bit loose, causing the slop. It just seems unusual for the nut to back off. FAIK, the dealer had to have an urgent prop replacement for another customer's boat and took mine and didn't put it back solidly. I suspect this would have eventually caused a problem, if it was going on for 350 hours.

Let's see if this works, I video'd it a little bit: I am not sure if everyone can see it or just me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ap2Fva8ZA6j9pFJM7
    Last edited by Tallredrider; 11-21-2018, 04:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GMLIII
    replied
    Originally posted by Tallredrider View Post
    I found my prop to be just a little bit loose today while checking everything out. After 350 hours, it seems a little strange. It fell off without a puller. I would just throw that out there and wonder if a busted shaft was going to happen next. If the tapers don't match up perfectly, then busted shafts happen.

How often do you guys check your prop nuts? I don't think I have checked it in quite a while. I suspect it is on the list for the 300 hour service, but my dealer likely did not adhere to any specific list.
    Was your prop nut loose prior to removing it when the prop just slid off the shaft?
    Last edited by GMLIII; 11-21-2018, 04:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tallredrider
    replied
    I found my prop to be just a little bit loose today while checking everything out. After 350 hours, it seems a little strange. It fell off without a puller. I would just throw that out there and wonder if a busted shaft was going to happen next. If the tapers don't match up perfectly, then busted shafts happen.

How often do you guys check your prop nuts? I don't think I have checked it in quite a while. I suspect it is on the list for the 300 hour service, but my dealer likely did not adhere to any specific list.

Leave a comment:

• Kenv
    replied
    Exactly. I'm with you Greg. Technically "dozens" to me is 24 or more...more than 1 dozen......and I skimmed that in 10 minutes. And SO WHAT if they are on here or not....they will be or have been counted somehow in the big picture when this is all said and done. Grand kids will be telling stories about the time their Papa's shaft and prop broke. We got to get towed home!!! Yay......

Leave a comment:

• greggmck
    replied
    Originally posted by scottb7 View Post
    I don't think we know how many people will do a "google search" when their shaft breaks. That is my opinion.

But you state that "dozens of others who had this experience have done". Cite your references. Supply the names and proof of those that google searched after their shaft broke, or admit you are just guessing. I admit I am just guessing. Please do the same.

Dozens...Surely you jest. Two dozen. Three dozen. How many dozen are you referring to? How many people do you really know that broke a shaft and then google searched?

Admit it is idle conversation...
    As stated above, Kenv did a review of the thread history on this topic and stated there were about 30 posts of people who have reported a shaft failure. 30 = dozens. That they got here by doing a Google search or knew in advance about this forum is irrelevant. My point is that if you review this entire forum thread from the beginning since 2013 there are dozens of reported failures, about 30 by estimation. Even if that is off by 2X it is NOT hundreds. Almost any person who has spent about $150,000 on a new G (most failures are in the first 100 hours) would likely be curious and upset enough to seek additional information about this problem. For that they would use a computer, GOOGLE, or other search engine and likely end up on this forum to post about it. I think this is very reasonable. Much more reasonable than to think there are hundreds of silent people who have shelled out big bucks for their G, had a shaft failure, and did/said NOTHING...
    Last edited by greggmck; 10-30-2018, 09:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scottb7
    replied
    I don't think we know how many people will do a "google search" when their shaft breaks. That is my opinion.

But you state that "dozens of others who had this experience have done". Cite your references. Supply the names and proof of those that google searched after their shaft broke, or admit you are just guessing. I admit I am just guessing. Please do the same.

Dozens...Surely you jest. Two dozen. Three dozen. How many dozen are you referring to? How many people do you really know that broke a shaft and then google searched?

Admit it is idle conversation...

Leave a comment:

• greggmck
    replied
    Originally posted by scottb7 View Post

yeah, i kind of doubt it.
    Really, why is that? Is it a shock to you that when the shaft on your boat fails you might do a Google search to learn about the problem? That's exactly what I and dozens of others who had this experience have done. We landed on this forum and posted our experience.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• scottb7
    replied
    Originally posted by greggmck View Post
    I suspect when an owner does have a prop shaft fail a very high percentage of the affected owners come to learn and post about it in the forum.
    yeah, i kind of doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• greggmck
    replied
    As far as the comments about very few G23 owners frequenting this forum...I suspect when an owner does have a prop shaft fail a very high percentage of the affected owners come to learn and post about it in the forum.

So if a high percentage of affected owners post here but a low percentage of all G owners show up, it would argue for the percentage of total failures to be lower than most here are estimating.

Last edited by greggmck; 10-30-2018, 05:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X