No announcement yet.

JL Head Unit and Transom Remote Retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I got mine done, but may regret doing so. My boat was at the dealer from Tuesday through Friday. When I got it home yesterday, and had it on the lift with the boat off-I could hear "white noise" coming from my speakers. I called the dealer, and the service writer thinks the amp gains are turned up too high. My retort is that I have a 2018 G23 that was completed in October/delivered after Thanksgiving sitting less than 50 feet away from my boat. I'll look at the gain settings on it; mine should be the same-and why wouldn't mine be set up identically to a 2018 from "jump street"? Secondly, I looked under the dash, and it looked like a bird's nest. Again, I am admittedly an "exacting SOB"; I want it identical to the 2018 that was delivered next door. I'm going to take a picture of both boats' under dash areas after sunrise. I have stains in my Sea Deck that I can't lift from this procedure. Not happy. Problem is, I'm not taking it back to the dealer again, like ever, that is unless I take it back and give the boat back to them. This retrofit should not have been that involved. My 2017 that was completed in June (toward the end of the model year production) is no different from a 2018 with the exception of the taller tower, RBG lighting, and some other small cosmetic items like the new lifting rings. This should have basically been "plug and play". I think I have a problem that is going to involve a fight. I am sick about this - - sick.

Below are under dash pictures of the 2018 next door and my 2017. Mine has a circled item that is a JL unit that allows for a wireless remote. Other than that, they should be the same, IMHO...

Last edited by RDT-G23; 03-10-2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

​ ​2018
      Last edited by RDT-G23; 03-10-2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	83645191-ED0D-4E5A-BF71-6F4EBFC3E39D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	113.3 KB ID:	549225Mine (retrofitted 2017)

Comment

In defense of Nautique/the dealer, I think the Polk head unit was a 2 OHM unit, the JLL, a 4 OHM.

Comment

Hmmm, sorry to hear that it didn’t go smoothly. I was also very much hoping this would be plug and play as well. Keeping fingers crossed that you get it sorted out.

Comment

RDT's account of this certainly doesn't bode well for this upgrade. I'm not all that wild about the Polk PA4A in my 230, but it certainly doesn't seem worth it to pursue this upgrade as it is.

-Charles

Comment

I guess I’m lucky, I have had no issues with my Polk head unit in my G

Comment

We are going to adjust the gains at the end of this week. I'll report out afterward. The fix may be that simple, hopefully. I will test the unit extensively if the weather is good.
                  Last edited by RDT-G23; 03-13-2018, 12:55 PM. Reason: Added content

Comment

Originally posted by GMLIII View Post
                    I guess I’m lucky, I have had no issues with my Polk head unit in my G
                    To be fair, I haven't had any nasty issues with mine either. I consider it a "middle of the road" head unit. It's isn't terribly versatile and if you're playing music off your phone through Bluetooth and a call comes in, it might or might not switch back to music when the call ends.

RDT,

Can you confirm that this retrofit into your G23 works with the LINC? Did you have to have that updated too?

-Charles

Comment

To be honest with you I really never use my head unit. I bascially play all my music off my Ipod with an aux cord. I think the sound quality is much better than bluetooth. I guess you could say I'm behind the times in technology still using the aux cord but my audio quality is night and day vs bluetooth.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesml3 View Post

To be fair, I haven't had any nasty issues with mine either. I consider it a "middle of the road" head unit. It's isn't terribly versatile and if you're playing music off your phone through Bluetooth and a call comes in, it might or might not switch back to music when the call ends.

RDT,

Can you confirm that this retrofit into your G23 works with the LINC? Did you have to have that updated too?

-Charles
                        It does. Give me a week. Hopefully we will get it de-bugged. Essentially, my stereo is now a 2018 (possibly with bugs) Stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by RDT-G23 View Post

It does. Give me a week. Hopefully we will get it de-bugged. Essentially, my stereo is now a 2018 (possibly with bugs) Stay tuned.
                          Keep us posted on the results

Comment

Originally posted by RDT-G23 View Post
                            In defense of Nautique/the dealer, I think the Polk head unit was a 2 OHM unit, the JLL, a 4 OHM.
                            head units don't have impedance like a speakers.

i believe you are think of line voltage on the RCA preouts. the signal line voltage could be different, and likely is. ie 2 v vs 4 volts. But i wouldn't trust the local dealer to install an amp or stereo accessory personally.

also, check grounds for whine.

Comment

And check the positives for cheese.

Comment

The dirty ground issue is one I suspect as well...
                                Last edited by RDT-G23; 03-16-2018, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X