G23 Prop Fell Off .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gary s View Post
    The nut most likely did not back off- the prop seated deeper from the force pushing the boat. Bet the dealer just slaps the prop on,does not bother to seat it properly. Here is a good pictorial on how to do it,3rd block down is interesting
    Very interesting. I have never heard of using a valve compound on the shaft. I think it makes perfect sense that if the prop and shaft are not perfectly mated, it would cause breakage, but hope that the folks at Nautique would have discovered that problem long ago.

Comment

• I dis-agree. Over the years my family and friends have bent props on our Nautiques and Malibus and never "seated" the old repaired prop or brand new props. Just through that thing on the shaft, tighten the nut and YEARS later....NO issues. I don't think this has anything to do with what happened to the G shafts. Good guess though....but naw.....

Comment

• Originally posted by gary s View Post
        The nut most likely did not back off- the prop seated deeper from the force pushing the boat. Bet the dealer just slaps the prop on,does not bother to seat it properly. Here is a good pictorial on how to do it,3rd block down is interesting
        I have always done lapping when replacing a prop with a new prop. That is how I was taught by Acme and others. I assumed that everyone did. LOL!
        2019 SAN G23 | 2016 SAN G23 | 2013 Wakesetter 23 LSV | 2008 Wakesetter 23 LSV | 2003 Wakesetter 23 LSV | 2000 Wakesetter VLX | 1998 Sanger V210 | 1994 Magic Sceptor 28 | 1985 Cole TR2 | Too many PWC to count!

Comment

• Look what happened to my remote controlled G23. Yep, the prop is gone. Warranty claim?

My kids were using it last weekend and told me the propeller fell off. I just had to laugh.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Comment

• That’s the funniest thing I’ve read on here for a long time. My question is how’s the shaft? Lol
            2011 SANTE 210 ZR409 (6.0L)

Comment

• Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.
              2019 SAN G23 | 2016 SAN G23 | 2013 Wakesetter 23 LSV | 2008 Wakesetter 23 LSV | 2003 Wakesetter 23 LSV | 2000 Wakesetter VLX | 1998 Sanger V210 | 1994 Magic Sceptor 28 | 1985 Cole TR2 | Too many PWC to count!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunners View Post
                2014 G23 Prop Shaft Broken

This happened yesterday after about 5-10 minutes of driving 23mph while pulling a tube. All sudden a bad vibration started to happen so I pulled throttle back. Applied throttle again and it was still there. Idled into dock and when I was positioning boat into slip I put into reverse a couple times. On the second time I felt a slight thump and lost all propulsion. Raised boat and this is what I saw.

Boat has 50 hours on it and to my knowledge has never hit anything (bottom etc).

Anyone seen anything like this? Frankly, I can't wrap my head around the physics of how this thing just shears off.
                What are the odds this exact same thing happens roughly 5 years later? Well it did. Is this still a thing or are we just that unlucky?

Only thing different is the boat now has 270 hours instead of 50.

Comment

• Originally posted by McCannLand View Post
                  That’s the funniest thing I’ve read on here for a long time. My question is how’s the shaft? Lol
                  Shaft seems fine, but I'm going to ask the dealer to replace it under warranty!

Seriously, the kids used this toy twice and the prop fell off the second time. Too ironic. Now I have to see if I can get a replacement part or if I have to buy another RC boat.

Comment

What are the odds this exact same thing happens roughly 5 years later? Well it did. Is this still a thing or are we just that unlucky?

This time, they for sure have the right shafts and it shouldn't happen a third time. It is true that there hasn't been a 2019 pop up yet with no prop...so fingers are crossed.

Comment

• Curious, how do you know that this time they for sure have the right shaft? It would be nice so any propspective buyer (or during a warranty claim) can specifically ask for "X" shaft and understand the why behind it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2013 SAN 230
                      2006 SSN 210 (SOLD)

Comment

yikes, sorry to hear. did they just put a new shaft on it last time, or was it an upgraded design shaft?

Comment

• My understanding is that they thought they'd found all the bad shafts, in reality they had not. At that point Nautique made them toss ALL their shafts and replaced with the new "upgraded" shafts.

At least it was covered under warranty.

Comment

• Happened to a friends 2016 G25 this past weekend at Lake Powell. Strange vibration started. He flagged me down (I was in my boat) and I jumped in with him (my son took over driving my boat). Idled back to the ramp while telling him about this forum I'm on and the prop shaft issue discussed there, thinking the whole time that the chances of that being the issue were slim. Got to the ramp and coasted the boat on to the trailer. He put's it in gear and gives it a little throttle to move up the trailer and there was a small "tink" sound and then the engine revved. He shut down the boat and I jumped in the water behind - the prop was laying on the launch ramp, dented from the drop. His local dealer in UT had a shaft and prop in stock and another friend was headed down that evening - so he picked it up and brought it down. Shaft and prop were replaced and a little more than 24 hours after, the boat was back on the water - good as new. There had also been a slight "squeaking" sound when in gear before, but that sound was now gone. The guy who did the work said the coupler was loose when he pulled the shaft off, so maybe that has some bearing? Anyway - thought I'd add this account to the pile here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B9EA6D4E-6B13-4E25-9335-E0D9846F9A8B.jpeg
Views:	895
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	588974
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by bdisney3; 07-17-2019, 05:48 PM.
                            bdisney3

18 G23
                            09 SAN 210 TE (previous)
                            04 Supreme V220 sp (previous)
                            94 Four Winns Horizon (previous)

Comment

• Originally posted by bdisney3 View Post
                              Happened to a friends 2016 G25 this past weekend at Lake Powell. Strange vibration started. He flagged me down (I was in my boat) and I jumped in with him (my son took over driving my boat). Idled back to the ramp while telling him about this forum I'm on and the prop shaft issue discussed there, thinking the whole time that the chances of that being the issue were slim. Got to the ramp and coasted the boat on to the trailer. He put's it in gear and gives it a little throttle to move up the trailer and there was a small "tink" sound and then the engine revved. He shut down the boat and I jumped in the water behind - the prop was laying on the launch ramp, dented from the drop. His local dealer in UT had a shaft and prop in stock and another friend was headed down that evening - so he picked it up and brought it down. Shaft and prop were replaced and a little more than 24 hours after, the boat was back on the water - good as new. There had also been a slight "squeaking" sound when in gear before, but that sound was now gone. The guy who did the work said the coupler was loose when he pulled the shaft off, so maybe that has some bearing? Anyway - thought I'd add this account to the pile here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B9EA6D4E-6B13-4E25-9335-E0D9846F9A8B.jpeg
Views:	895
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	588974
                              Wow! Who is the dealer? I need to add their contact info to my phone.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCal G-Man View Post

Wow! Who is the dealer? I need to add their contact info to my phone.
                                Nautique dealer in SLC (where boat was purchased) is Croft Marine - there's no Nautique dealer at Lake Powell, so it was the Mastercraft dealer who did the shaft/prop replacement.
                                bdisney3

18 G23
                                09 SAN 210 TE (previous)
                                04 Supreme V220 sp (previous)
                                94 Four Winns Horizon (previous)

Comment

Working...
                                X