No announcement yet.

Restoring 2001 SAN & Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank you for posting all this... I'm about to buy a 2001 SAN ... it's good to know what under everything.

so the boat I bought has a crack in the top cover... the guy didn't know it was there... I believe him. I haven't checked the dip stick... he also said he had just changed the oil in it.
    Last edited by SteelAWake; 10-18-2017, 07:26 PM.

Comment

This was a great post. Enjoyed visualizing the progress from start to finish

Comment

Originally posted by SteelAWake View Post
        thank you for posting all this... I'm about to buy a 2001 SAN ... it's good to know what under everything.

so the boat I bought has a crack in the top cover... the guy didn't know it was there... I believe him. I haven't checked the dip stick... he also said he had just changed the oil in it.
        It has a crack in the top cover of the v-drive? If the oil looks fine, put some hours on it and keep a close eye on the oil. If it starts to turn milky at all then you've got further issues. If it stays clean then you can just buy a new top cover from Walter. I'm assuming you have a Walter, some came with a different model, but I believe most were equipped with the Walter. One good thing is you are close to Walter. They are located in New Jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by s_kelley2000
          Nice work! amazing the difference the wet sand is making. Nice job on the New Year freeze ride, must have been chilly!

It might already be on your list but swapping out the plastic bilge/ballast outlets and rub rail end caps for stainless is an easy improvement that makes a big difference. Here is a pic of my boat after the upgrade. Bilge outlets are from Wakemakers and end caps are from Nautique Parts. I also swapped the factory cup holders for stainless. I found a great deal on E-bay for these that seem to be exactly the same as the Nautique ones at a fraction of the price. I can find that info for you if you want.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n479250[/ATTACH]
          Im having difficulty finding these stainless capped fittings in the correct size. Mine seem to be smaller hole size going through the hull than what Im finding online. See my other post 2001 SAN Ballast Fittings for pictures with measurements. Has anybody found these stainless fittings?

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

Originally posted by brit_hunsicker View Post

It has a crack in the top cover of the v-drive? If the oil looks fine, put some hours on it and keep a close eye on the oil. If it starts to turn milky at all then you've got further issues. If it stays clean then you can just buy a new top cover from Walter. I'm assuming you have a Walter, some came with a different model, but I believe most were equipped with the Walter. One good thing is you are close to Walter. They are located in New Jersey.
            Bought a New cover cleaned up Painted and installed.
            Attached Files

Comment

Great job on the resto! I just brought home a 2001 SAN 210 last night (after some unfortunate incidents including a wheel coming off on I-85...)

Can you provide information on the electric brake kit? Was it relatively straight forward to install?

Comment

Originally posted by bracktm
                Great job on the resto! I just brought home a 2001 SAN 210 last night (after some unfortunate incidents including a wheel coming off on I-85...)

Can you provide information on the electric brake kit? Was it relatively straight forward to install?
                Electric brakes were easy to install. The only time consuming part of the whole thing was rewiring the trailer. But other than that, extremely simple. I just pulled my hub off and took it down to a local trailer shop and they had my setup I needed on the shelf. I dont have any model or part numbers but I know they told me it was a common size. I will however mention that since I did that trailer build 2 years ago I just took them apart a few weeks ago and they were very rusty. Which is expected...going in and out of the water all the time. I think any brakes on a boat trailer are going to be hard to maintain. I only put electric brakes on because I had a 1/2 ton pick up at the time. Now having a 3/4 ton I really dont even need brakes, and actually didnt have them for about the last year do to crappy wire I used during the install. I did just tear out all the bad wire and install new and its nice to have the brakes back, but wasnt hurting for them.

Comment

Well Im back at it again! This time its ballast. Just purchased all the stuff through WakeMakers. Doing a few other things while Im at it.

The first box of goodies

What a pain to get to! Trying to track down the reason the heater was unhooked when I bought the boat.

Well that was easy. I was preparing to have to hook up to the hose.
                  I would solder this back into place, but there are several questionable spots on this heat exchanger, plus the other stem is loose also. Worth $109 for a new core and the reassurance I wont have another leak!

Comment

Laying everything out trying to decide where I want to start first

5 minutes in and I already got screwed

Just hoping I can turn my luck around after the heater not working out in my favor

Do yourself I favor and wear long sleeves when drilling holes. Fiberglass on the skin is not enjoyable and I know better than too...nothing worse than going up an down an old worn out fiberglass ladder all day.

This was actually a very easy process and not quite as nerve racking as some might think when consider drilling holes in the bottom of your boat.

Figuring out the layout for 3 new ballast puppies

Mounted on the drivers side gunnel in the rear locker. I saw many people mount there pumps behind the rear seat but decided against that as they did not look like they would be fun to service while on the lake if needed and just a very tight fit all around. Plus my drivers side is always light on weight so it was an easy way to add about 30 lbs on that side of the boat.

Wanted to mount the switch panel in a discrete location and thought this was as good of place as any.

This works well and is nice and tucked away out of sight since I have a sub box/seat set up between this panel and the rear seat, with just enough room to get your hand back there from the driver seat to flip the switches.

Comment

Decided I’d go ahead and attempt fixing the old heat exchanger. Mind you when I bought the boat this was unhooked at the engine so I was really not sure what all was wrong with it. All I know is that the solder joint on both stems is no good. Can’t be that hard to fix right? After all I had spent 5 days a week for the last 4 years on the end of a torch...lol

Well, moment of truth

And this baby leaks like a sieve from all directions!

This most definitely did not get properly winterized at some point in its life span. I will for sure be taking extra precautions when winterizing after installing a new one. Have to wait for NP to open back up after the new year to return the unwrapped heat exchanger for the wrapped one.

Piping is coming along. Had to order some more fittings from WakeMAKERS because I did not realize the thread size on the 8.3 bags I have are 1 inch instead of 3/4 inch like the fly high bag I have in the center locker.
                      New chrome thru hull fittings all around the boat. Really gives it an updated look!
                      Took this picture mainly so I would know my Humminbird gauges are 2.5”. My water temp sensor is not working and was planning on just replacing the sensor. As I have online it doesn’t look like that will be an option since Humminbird is no longer around and most people are switching to Faria with the depth/temp sensor bundled into one. Does anyone have any experience with this and have any input as far as what model to be looking at? I’m not opposed to cutting another hole in the bottom of the boat for more accurate depth sensor/temp sensor if needing. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by brit_hunsicker; 12-27-2017, 12:25 AM.

Comment

I feel bad but I had to laugh when I saw all those leaks. That is the kind of stuff that happens to me every time. Boat is looking great. Thanks for sharing...

Comment

I had to replace my heater core found out Napa has one close to the original only have to modify the housing a bit

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NHS6603100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dudebro
                            I had to replace my heater core found out Napa has one close to the original only have to modify the housing a bit

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NHS6603100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Wow thanks for the info I may just go pick up one of those. I am going to call NP after the first of the year and make sure they dont give me any grief for trying to return the one I got because its out of the package. Even if they give me store credit Id be happy, I know itll get spent!

Comment

Reached my goal of finishing before the new year, as we have a standing tradition of riding on New Years Day here in Kansas. Unfortunately that wont be happening this year as weve had a harsh cold streak that froze the lakes over. Last year we rode the river because it was clear and the lakes were frozen, but last year the high on New Years Day was about 40 whereas this year the high is 8 with wind chills staying below zero all day. But I met my deadline and thats what counts!

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Working...
                                X