Garmin Fenix Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Fenix Watch

Hi all, i am upgrading my boat this year to a 2020 which has the new 3.0 system. Can you guys tell me which Garmin watch I need to operate the surf system? I am hearing that the Fenix 5 is the one, but there are 3 different models of it and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and which one to get. Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	gnss.jpg
Views:	1647
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	598069

Current Boats —> 2024 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2018 SAN 210 TE -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196 -- 2002 Ski Nautique -- 2001 Ski Nautique -- 2000 Sport Nautique -- 2000 Nautique Super Sport -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1996 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (Twin-Engine, 1 of 13) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4) -- 1980 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4)
    Former Boats —> 2023 Super Air Nautique G23 --
    2022 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2020 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2019 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2018 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2017 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2016 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2015 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2013 Super Air Nautique G232012 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2011 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2010 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2008 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2007 Air Nautique 236 Team Edition -- 2007 Air Nautique SV-211 -- 2005 SV-211 -- 2003 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition -- 2003 Air Nautique 226 -- 2003 Sport Nautique 216 -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196-- 2001 Sport Nautique -- 2001 Ski Nautique --1999 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1999 Air Tique 176 -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1994 Ski Nautique -- 1993 Barefoot Nautique -- 1983 Fish Nautique (TWIN ENGINE, 1 of 4) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (SINGLE ENGINE)

Need something for your boat? Please check out our site sponsors! Not only do they offer the best products available, they also support this site.
    NautiqueParts.com - Roswell Marine - Phoenix Trailers - SkiSafe - PCM Marine Engines - PerfectPass - C&S Marine - OJ Propellers - WakeMakers -- Swell Wakesurf

Comment

Thanks Jeff, I see you have a 2020, did you happen to try any of these watches out on yours? not sure which one of the 3 to buy...They have released the Fenix 6s from the looks of things, but I don't see my gang using the watch for all the other bells and whistles other than operating the surf features behind the boat. The prices on 5s are looking good over this black friday and wanted to get a couple for my kids for xmas. Thx!!!

Comment

Does anyone have any real world experience with the Garmin and surf? Is it REALLY worth $4-500 on a watch or is it just a nifty thing? I could see it being nice to set up the wave how I want without constantly hollering at the driver, but then once I save it, I'd probably never use it again.

Comment

Although I have a 2017 G23 with the Surf Select feature and Pebble watch., I never leave my dock without it. I use it everytime I'm in the boat and/or wakesurfing. Yeah it sucks the Pebble watch only runs 50- 80 dollars vs the Fenix at 500 dollars when both watches have basically the same features in regard to tying into the Surf Select system. If I was purchasing a 2020 model, I would most definately purchase the Surf Select option and the Garmin Fenix watch; I love the features.
          Last edited by GMLIII; 12-08-2019, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mooneywa View Post
            Does anyone have any real world experience with the Garmin and surf? Is it REALLY worth $4-500 on a watch or is it just a nifty thing? I could see it being nice to set up the wave how I want without constantly hollering at the driver, but then once I save it, I'd probably never use it again.
            I'll be glad when someone here actually does a test and fills us in on the details. I know there is NO functionality beyond the Pebble for Surf Select. Still the same options. However Nautique keeps mentioning wakeBOARDING and using the Fenix. If it's Bluetooth (and I'm assuming it is) I don't see how this could work. A 60-foot line should be well out of Bluetooth range.

-Charles

Comment

I may have access to a F5X+ this spring to do some testing. We use them at work to monitor pressurization, heart rate, and blood oxygen saturation when flying so obviously another great use is horsing around in your fancy boat with them. But I won't put the boat back in the water until late March so some of our Aussie or Floridian friends might get around to it sooner.

Another interesting note - I always wondered why the Apple Watch wasn't considered and only the Garmin was. I happened across an article talking about rumors for the Series 6 "2020 version" and one of them was a more robust waterproofing and water resistance to facilitate "water skiing." I guess that makes a lot more sense that the AW wasn't used because it wasn't as robust in that regard as the Garmin.

Comment

Originally posted by mooneywa View Post
                I may have access to a F5X+ this spring to do some testing. We use them at work to monitor pressurization, heart rate, and blood oxygen saturation when flying so obviously another great use is horsing around in your fancy boat with them. But I won't put the boat back in the water until late March so some of our Aussie or Floridian friends might get around to it sooner.

Another interesting note - I always wondered why the Apple Watch wasn't considered and only the Garmin was. I happened across an article talking about rumors for the Series 6 "2020 version" and one of them was a more robust waterproofing and water resistance to facilitate "water skiing." I guess that makes a lot more sense that the AW wasn't used because it wasn't as robust in that regard as the Garmin.
                Apple watch does not have manual buttons, and it is all touch screen which would not function in a wet environment. Manual buttons are used on both the Pebble and Garmin watches.

Comment

I wear my Apple Watch all the time and I can confirm it is almost impossible to use it in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MG94 View Post
                    I wear my Apple Watch all the time and I can confirm it is almost impossible to use it in the water.

Yep major reason it was Never considered

Comment

Originally posted by charlesml3 View Post

I'll be glad when someone here actually does a test and fills us in on the details. I know there is NO functionality beyond the Pebble for Surf Select. Still the same options. However Nautique keeps mentioning wakeBOARDING and using the Fenix. If it's Bluetooth (and I'm assuming it is) I don't see how this could work. A 60-foot line should be well out of Bluetooth range.

-Charles
                      The key is the new Nautique Bluetooth wakeboard handle, acts as a repeater, and connects to a fitting on the tower, it has a wireless feature, but the battery life sucks.

I’ve always wondered about marketing vs real life...

Comment

Originally posted by charlesml3 View Post

-Charles
                        Can you surf at 60 feet?

Comment

Originally posted by srock View Post

Can you surf at 60 feet?
                          I would not think so even behind a Paragon

Comment

Originally posted by srock View Post

Can you surf at 60 feet?
                            He’s talking about wakeboarding at 60ft, not surfing.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

Does anyone know if the new Fenix 6 models work in addition to the 5 models? They aren't mentioned as compatible, but didn't know if it was "at least" a 5 or only a 5.

Comment

Working...
                              X