2021 Boatmate G23 Trailer Safety Cable length issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Boatmate G23 Trailer Safety Cable length issues

Does anyone with a 2021 Boatmate trailer for a G23 have exceptionally short safety cables? I have an f150 with a pretty standard length hitch and the cables WILL NOT reach the connection points. I trailered the boat home from the dealer with a 3500 HD and the cables wouldn't reach to the safety attachments on that rig either. (clearly the attached image is showing the "unsafe" way I connected the safety cables for the 2 mile drive to the launch. Anyone else have this issue? Worth bringing up to Boatmate?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2988.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	634366
    First and Current - 2012 210 SANTE

On our trailer that's not an issue, but I'm using a Sierra 1500... still have plenty of cable. I wouldn't accept that in your shoes though, should be easy enough for them to fix I'd think... but I'd make them fix it.

Comment

Clibka....my G23 arrived at the dealer a couple of days ago. I went yesterday to look at it for the first time...and sure enough....it appears the cables are WAY too short on my Boatmate. They "Might" reach...barely....but will I be able to even turn the trailer without the outside cable stretching to the max point?? I've got an F250. I won't pick the boat up until later this week....so I might have to rig some type of extensions. I did mention it to my salesman to relay to the shop manager. I honestly stood there shaking my head when I saw how Boatmate set that up. CLEARLY....the end mount point where the cable is attached to the tongue could have been moved up about 8 inches to give more length. And....it appears to have nothing to do with it being a folding tongue. Oh well...it's always the people that make em' that don't use em'........

Comment

Originally posted by Clibka
        Does anyone with a 2021 Boatmate trailer for a G23 have exceptionally short safety cables? I have an f150 with a pretty standard length hitch and the cables WILL NOT reach the connection points. I trailered the boat home from the dealer with a 3500 HD and the cables wouldn't reach to the safety attachments on that rig either. (clearly the attached image is showing the "unsafe" way I connected the safety cables for the 2 mile drive to the launch. Anyone else have this issue? Worth bringing up to Boatmate?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2988.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	634366
        Boatmate will send longer ones for free. You need to tell your dealer and they will order them.

Comment

Clibka.....as my new Boatmate appears to be identical to yours....I'm not picking it up until Friday...just curious if it's still a 2" coupler...and not 2 5/16. I've got both if needed...but didn't know since these new Gs are heavier....if they bumped up to the bigger hitch size. Thanks in advance

Comment

I know on my boatmate triple axle for the P23 it's 2 5/16 hitch... I had to run to the uhaul store across the road on delivery day as I showed up with only a 2" ball. Best to call the dealer to confirm on yours though.

Comment

Thanks Bird....yeah...I'll give him a call. Looks like I might pick it up tomorrow after work. I'll post some pics up after I get it home.

Comment

Just confirmed with the dealer........even the new G23/25 Boatmate tandems are the bigger 2 5/16th ball.

Comment

Also....another irritating issue with the Boatmate cables....the "style" of hook they use OF COURSE has changed since my 2015 Boatmate and the hooks will not fit through the oval holes on the Ford receiver hitch (which is a know issue on the Ford hitch). I blame both Ford and Boatmate for this. Ford F'd up on the shape of the holes....and Boatmate used Too big of a hook/clamp combo to work....aside from them being TOO short. Oh well....luckily I don't tow every day...just a PITA to pay that much for a trailer and it has to be modified before I even use it.

Comment

Clibka...instead of ordering longer cables, my shop manager repositioned the cables closer to gain the slack. He drilled through the bottom rung of the ladder just above the tan SeaDeck in your picture. Put one long bolt all way through the hollow step and tightened them down. Gave me all the length I needed without new cables. Just an Idea if you want to try it. Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Kenv View Post
                      Also....another irritating issue with the Boatmate cables....the "style" of hook they use OF COURSE has changed since my 2015 Boatmate and the hooks will not fit through the oval holes on the Ford receiver hitch (which is a know issue on the Ford hitch). I blame both Ford and Boatmate for this. Ford F'd up on the shape of the holes....and Boatmate used Too big of a hook/clamp combo to work....aside from them being TOO short. Oh well....luckily I don't tow every day...just a PITA to pay that much for a trailer and it has to be modified before I even use it.
                      I've never had a problem. You might want to try hooking them up this way.

Comment

Thanks....but...yeah....no go on that Video. Did not work. And if you do happen to get them on...they are a BEE itch to get off. I'll probably go with some carabiner's clips.

Comment

Watch the carabiner clips, I know they're supposed to be super strong by design but you have a lot of weight back there. Also if the trailer does come off it will be violent and it will stress the carabiner in directions it's not designed for. While not pretty you'd probably be better off adding a D ring or a split line to the hitch. If you do go with a carabiner at least take a real close look at what you're buying as many of them that you'll pick up at Wally World or Lowes are not rated anywhere near the capacity you might think. Here's a link that talks about design, loading and ratings.....

https://www.itstactical.com/skillcom...-ratings-mean/

Comment

Thanks bturner. I'll definitely look at strength with whatever I end up getting. Thanks for the link. Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Smindustries View Post

I've never had a problem. You might want to try hooking them up this way.

Smindustries.....I stand corrected. I tried the hooks again like the video shows....had to adjust to the right angle....BUT...they did work. I just remember trying it with the utility trailer big hooks and couldn't get them to fit. The new Boatmate hooks will work as long as you do exactly as the video shows. Thanks for sharing!! No Carabiner clips for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X