Seadek vs Diamond Plate on a trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seadek vs Diamond Plate on a trailer?

I'm about to place an order on a new boat and trailer and I wanted to get some opinions on Seadek vs. Diamond plate on the step surfaces of the trailer. The Seadek looks good, but I'm afraid that it will get very dirty and be hard to clean. Not sure how it will hold over the years on a trailer. Should I stick with diamond plate?
    2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

I have always had SeaDek on my G23 trailers, and it has held up pretty well while I have owned them. The light gray did get a little dirty, but I was able to clean it back up. This year I did black SeaDek on the trailer, and it still looks great now after several months of being outside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.JPG
Views:	797
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	508215

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069.JPG
Views:	626
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	508214

Current Boats —> 2024 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2018 SAN 210 TE -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196 -- 2002 Ski Nautique -- 2001 Ski Nautique -- 2000 Sport Nautique -- 2000 Nautique Super Sport -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1996 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (Twin-Engine, 1 of 13) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4) -- 1980 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4)
    Former Boats —> 2023 Super Air Nautique G23 --
    2022 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2020 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2019 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2018 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2017 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2016 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2015 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2013 Super Air Nautique G232012 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2011 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2010 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2008 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2007 Air Nautique 236 Team Edition -- 2007 Air Nautique SV-211 -- 2005 SV-211 -- 2003 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition -- 2003 Air Nautique 226 -- 2003 Sport Nautique 216 -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196-- 2001 Sport Nautique -- 2001 Ski Nautique --1999 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1999 Air Tique 176 -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1994 Ski Nautique -- 1993 Barefoot Nautique -- 1983 Fish Nautique (TWIN ENGINE, 1 of 4) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (SINGLE ENGINE)

Need something for your boat? Please check out our site sponsors! Not only do they offer the best products available, they also support this site.
    NautiqueParts.com - Roswell Marine - Phoenix Trailers - SkiSafe - PCM Marine Engines - PerfectPass - C&S Marine - OJ Propellers - WakeMakers -- Swell Wakesurf

Comment

Depending on how the diamond plate is installed. If it's riveted or bolted to the trailer fender, water usually doesn't dry up underneath and will ultimately start to rust at the bolt holes. If it's double faced tape down then I don't think you'd have the same problem. But, I would vote for some foam type material because it offers a non-slip surface.

Comment

Seadek

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

Originally posted by wakejunky View Post
          Depending on how the diamond plate is installed. If it's riveted or bolted to the trailer fender, water usually doesn't dry up underneath and will ultimately start to rust at the bolt holes. If it's double faced tape down then I don't think you'd have the same problem. But, I would vote for some foam type material because it offers a non-slip surface.
          The diamond plate is installed with double sided adhesive I believe. At least that's how it was installed on my 2 previous Boatmate trailers.

Comment

Originally posted by SierraWave View Post
            Seadek

I agree that the Seadek looks good, but I'm not sure if it will look good after a few years on a trailer. That's why I'm leaning toward the 5 bar diamond plate. It will clean up easy and wont fade or get stained over the years.

Comment

Diamond plate hands down. Just think of shoes, road rocks, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              2013 SANTE 210
              2011 Sport 200 V
              1994 Bimini Skier Pro 190
              1986 Master Craft Pro Star 190

Comment

On my last boat, after 11 years of never making a decision on what I wanted on the trailer for protection, I got into the habit of laying a towel down if I really needed to step on the fenders. Normally I stepped on the tire if I needed to immediately enter from the sides. It sure looked clean with nothing on the fenders. I always enter my new boat from the back only now because of the high gunnels.

Comment

Late to the party on this but my 2012 boatmate has plate glued down with double face tape and it's already rusting away. I'll need to remove, sand paint and plan to replace it with Seadek this spring. Without a perfect water tight seal the plate is rusting The fenders from day one.

Comment

Originally posted by 81nautique View Post
                    Late to the party on this but my 2012 boatmate has plate glued down with double face tape and it's already rusting away. I'll need to remove, sand paint and plan to replace it with Seadek this spring. Without a perfect water tight seal the plate is rusting The fenders from day one.
                    I was referring to aluminum diamond plate which shouldn't rust. My 2011 Boatmate trailer with aluminum diamond plate doesn't have any rust on it. What type of plate do you have on your trailer that's rusting?

Comment

The trailer is steel...I think the aluminum is trapping water under it and causing the steel trailer to rust.

Comment

Originally posted by Evening Shade View Post

I was referring to aluminum diamond plate which shouldn't rust. My 2011 Boatmate trailer with aluminum diamond plate doesn't have any rust on it. What type of plate do you have on your trailer that's rusting?
                        I meant to say without a perfect seal around the plate it traps water and the fenders rust. Like mine, 5 year old trailer full of rust. I don't know why some manufacturer doesn't step up and dip their trailers before paint. They'd kill the competition because all of these tube frame trailers hold water and rust out. First guy to do that wins.

Comment

I might be the only one not supremely impressed with seadeck... Maybe it was the salt water environment, but I had to replace my entire 2012 in 2015, in my eyes lasting only 3 years is a huge failure. Add to that the challenge/labor required to remove and replace it... Not a big fan. Had diamond plate show rust around the edges on my 2005 though, which tells me there is no perfect solution that ive found yet... Good luck.

Comment

I might need to go back to the drawing board.

Comment

On your boat mate that came with our tige we have this black non skid sorta plastic stuff. I don't know really know what's it's called, but it stays clean and won't wear out. Not sure if it's an option with Nautique but if it is I would definitely recommend it.
                              If you zoom in closer you get a better idea

Last edited by Wake.BC; 02-22-2017, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X