G23 volume and zone control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G23 volume and zone control

I have a 2015 G23 and am looking for an easier solution to the simple controls we use all the time. I like having the ability to quickly mute or raise and lower the volume using a knob instead of going through the linc screen. I read some old posts and saw some guys using the roswell knob and some using the wetsounds 420. I kind of like the idea of the wetsounds, but not sure where to mount it so it looks nice and clean. Is there a different controller you guys recommend or have any other options or ideas?

Originally posted by cptotr View Post
    I have a 2015 G23 and am looking for an easier solution to the simple controls we use all the time. I like having the ability to quickly mute or raise and lower the volume using a knob instead of going through the linc screen. I read some old posts and saw some guys using the roswell knob and some using the wetsounds 420. I kind of like the idea of the wetsounds, but not sure where to mount it so it looks nice and clean. Is there a different controller you guys recommend or have any other options or ideas?
    This is not my boat but it is the exact same location I place my TWO volumn control knobs ( one knob for cabin and one knob for tower) . I like my knobs at eye level because it is easier to adjust on the fly vs fumbling with them at the knee cap level in the lower dash area. Others will disagree with my placement but at eye level it is much easier and makes for a clear and more finshed look. Everyone ask why this member has a third knob and I think it may control the Sub speaker separately. You can buy these JL Audio volumn control knobs off of Amazon for about $25.00 each, and they plug into the back of each amp with a phone jack input.

These knobs are the most used features on audio system but far. I love them and use them all the time. I very useful upgrade IMHO.

Click image for larger version  Name:	RLC knob install G23 2017.jpg Views:	2 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	566857
    Last edited by GMLIII; 08-28-2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Funny this topic came up...I was thinking same thing for my g21 2014.

No zone control, but I like the idea of using this for pause/play, and skip forward and back. It is advertised as hold turn left and right for volume. But I am hoping someone who has used this item can share how it works for the volume or is it a little clunky. Thoughts? Wish it was just a dial with no hold left or right...

Not sure where I would mount. I could find a place if I really thought i wanted it for sure. But would have to drill a hole, so no going back..

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsounds.JPG Views:	1 Size:	23.5 KB ID:	566859

Comment

I followed GMLIII and added 2 knobs to separate the tower and cabin speakers. Very simple install. Here is what mine looks like.

The hardest part is thinning out the fiberglass so the knobs can be secured from the front side. Here is what it looks like on the backside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180731_191402.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	566893
        Here is a link to full size image

The wire included with the knobs is long enough to run through the bow from the helm to the amps. Takes a little work to find places to zip tie the wires but other than that pretty easy.

Comment

The Wet Sounds EQ (420SQ, 420BT & 220BT) can be mounted and look really good. 2 or 4 zone control plus master volume, right at your finger tips. Line driver so no loss of signal quality to amps.

The Roswell is dual knob is ok, but the biggest drawback is that you take a single RCA output level, and divide it between two amps. Then, you send that half signal through 20ft of RCA to the 2 amps. A better solution would be to do a line driver prior to the knob. Another solution is the Kicker ZXM-RLC. Its 2 knobs for dual zone control. Universal so it works with any head unit and amp brand. Its line line driver so no split signal level. It uses data cables between the control box and knobs so no long RCA. They can be panel or surface mounted.

Comment

Originally posted by GMLIII View Post

This is not my boat but it is the exact same location I place my TWO volumn control knobs ( one knob for cabin and one knob for tower) . I like my knobs at eye level because it is easier to adjust on the fly vs fumbling with them at the knee cap level in the lower dash area. Others will disagree with my placement but at eye level it is much easier and makes for a clear and more finshed look. Everyone ask why this member has a third knob and I think it may control the Sub speaker separately. You can buy these JL Audio volumn control knobs off of Amazon for about $25.00 each, and they plug into the back of each amp with a phone jack input.

These knobs are the most used features on audio system but far. I love them and use them all the time. I very useful upgrade IMHO.

Click image for larger version  Name:	RLC knob install G23 2017.jpg Views:	2 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	566857

Thanks for the pictures. That is a great setup. Looks factory. I like that idea. Those knobs look to be on a newer G than mine. I'm assuming the 2015 has that same space there to mount the knobs? I won't be able to look until this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

@GMLIII

Thanks for the pictures. That is a great setup. Looks factory. I like that idea. Those knobs look to be on a newer G than mine. I'm assuming the 2015 has that same space there to mount the knobs? I won't be able to look until next week.

Comment

Originally posted by cptotr View Post
                @GMLIII

Thanks for the pictures. That is a great setup. Looks factory. I like that idea. Those knobs look to be on a newer G than mine. I'm assuming the 2015 has that same space there to mount the knobs? I won't be able to look until next week.

Your G 2015 dash wil be set up a bit different but I think there will still be a flat fiberglass area similar to my knob placment area on your G

Comment

Working...
                X