Stock Bimini Top G23 - Storm Approaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Bimini Top G23 - Storm Approaching

I have a 2017 G23 with a stock Bimini top and I have seen pictures of G23 owners who have gently laid their tower down on top of their cover with the Bimini top extended out over the cover. In preparation for the east coast storm, I want to raise my boat in the lift as high as possible . I would like some help on how to extend the Bimini top in the extended position on top of my cover without actually removing it . I have seen pictures of folks who have used this method, but I just don’t know how to put the Bimini in the extended out positions so I can raise my boat higher in my lift. Any advice most appreciated .

I have a 16 not sure if it is the same but.
    To fold you just twist out the two bolts with big plastic knobs then the bimini can be stood straight up with aid of gas shocks then carefully fold tower I usually walk through walk way so I can support tower and bimini But not sure if that will work well on lift with lift cover plus folding tower and bimini with boat cover on could be a challenge.
    Bimini is relatively easy to remove while leaving the arms on tower. Remove big plastic cap bolts release one end gas shocks and pull pins and remove bimini it is surprisingly light.
    Caution either way you have to watch tower bimini arm and drivers seat clearance make sure bolster seat is down.
    Good luck with storm preparation.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

It is the same Bimini . I will mess around with this approach tomorrow and report back. Thanks

Comment

If anyone has a stock bimini top in recent years prior to 2019 and wants to raise their boat higher in their boat lift with the tower down, bimini folded forward towards bow with boat cover on the boat here are some pictures of my method. I was able to raise the boat another foot or so in my lift as the eastcoast storm approaches. If anyone wants to try this method when you purchase the 2 x 8 lumber plank make sure you get the un-treated lumber so it is not so heavy; the bimini frame simply lays down on the wooden plank.
        This took me about 30 minutes to complete alone today. I like the fact that I can get the boat another foot out of the water with tower down and full cover still on the boat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-09-11 08.49.29.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.8 KB ID:	568109 Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-09-11 08.49.34.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	568110 Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-09-11 08.58.09.jpg Views:	1 Size:	78.6 KB ID:	568111
        Last edited by GMLIII; 09-11-2018, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Great info. Thanks!
          2019 SAN G23 | 2016 SAN G23 | 2013 Wakesetter 23 LSV | 2008 Wakesetter 23 LSV | 2003 Wakesetter 23 LSV | 2000 Wakesetter VLX | 1998 Sanger V210 | 1994 Magic Sceptor 28 | 1985 Cole TR2 | Too many PWC to count!

Comment

Can the bimini flop up and down, particularly if the wind comes from the front? I think it can, which may be a problem.

Comment

May just want to run a ratchet strap around the Bimini and boat to keep the Bimini from blowing up from the wind. Or just find some way to secure it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would also suggest a few ropes tying the boat to the dock JUST IN CASE the water rises enough to float your boat off the lift... That way your boat won't take a trip while you're away.
                Jason
                All black 2003 SANTE
                -- Southern Fried --

Comment

Originally posted by Tallredrider View Post
                  Can the bimini flop up and down, particularly if the wind comes from the front? I think it can, which may be a problem.
                  Yes I think so since Bimini has 2 gas extension arms

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

All good points . I think I will be fine but can adjust as needed .

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

Just a thought, if your cradle has a snug fit in the boat slip, I would raise it to where the cradle itself is even with the slip facia boards. I weathered a few hurricanes this way after I saw how much my boat swayed in high winds. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by shag View Post
                        Just a thought, if your cradle has a snug fit in the boat slip, I would raise it to where the cradle itself is even with the slip facia boards. I weathered a few hurricanes this way after I saw how much my boat swayed in high winds. Just a thought.
                        The last picture is in the full height position , any higher it would crush my tower all-round light. I may eat my words here but as far as my location is concerned, I’’m pretty far inland and I’’m more concerned with rising water levels as opposed to high winds. This covered dock area comprises of about 28 boats so it is rather large and protected

Comment

Been through more hurricanes than I can remember. Tie your boat to the piling to stop sway and wind uplift. Hopefully you don’t get it that bad and the water stays low enough so your boat does not float and hit the roof. Plug in plug out is a toss up. If your cover is compromised the boat can fill with water and overload the lift. Rising water, you fill the boat. In your situation with low roof I would leave it out. Flying debris is another concern.

Comment

I see the current storm data says it may sit and dump a lot of rain. If you have any inclination that your waterway will rise significantly I would opt for putting it on a trailer away from trees that could fall.

Comment

A friend in NC is doing the same prep you are doing. As someone else suggested, he is adding ropes and bungees in case the surge lifts his boat up enough to float. He has fenders dropped all around it. I just texted and asked him to send some pics. Hoping it does not come to any of that for you guys. Be safe!
                              2019 SAN G23 | 2016 SAN G23 | 2013 Wakesetter 23 LSV | 2008 Wakesetter 23 LSV | 2003 Wakesetter 23 LSV | 2000 Wakesetter VLX | 1998 Sanger V210 | 1994 Magic Sceptor 28 | 1985 Cole TR2 | Too many PWC to count!

Comment

Working...
                              X