Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I fixed my PerfectPass display (for free)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I fixed my PerfectPass display (for free)

Many of us have seen the issue where the PP display becomes unreadable due to excessive moisture. The problem has moved from annoying to very expensive because the components aren't available anymore so no new ones can be made. I've had it happen on 3 displays now and the latest one was because the boat sat all winter with the cover on but outside and the repeated rain and sun caused the issue (along with two ballast gauges that also died). The solution from PP today is to buy a GPS model that will run almost $1000. I removed by gauge from the dash and tried to understand how to take it apart. Sadly, this is not possible the chrome edge around the display is compressed and molded on. I did cut the chrome edge off of an extra one I had and got a look inside - and there are some possible areas where the touch of a hot solder gun might yield some success, but you'll forever have a chrome edge with a cut in it.
    While I have mine out, a friend of mine suggested putting some of those silica packets inside of it (the ones that come inside of a vitamin bottle or an electronics package). the gauge has a hole large enough on the back to insert a smaller-sized packet, so I did. I also taped a larger one to the back of the gauge. I then let it completely dry out by leaving it in an air-conditioned house for about two weeks. I ran it all summer and never had another issue with it.

I really hope this helps some of you too.
    Last edited by jkallen21; 09-16-2019, 03:36 PM.

I love stuff like this. Thanks!
    2006 SV 211 (Sold)
    97 Sport Nautique (Sold)
    89 PS 190 (Sold)
    05 Fourwinns Horizon 180 (Sold)
    89 Fourwinns 170 Freedom (Sold)
    75 MFG (Sold)

Comment

Do you have any pics of this process?

Comment

I’ll post some pics soon. Need to get back up to the boat anyway.

Comment

Pics!!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Tempting to try. Mines been knocked out for 5 plus years. Half the display is barely readable. Would love to try though just to see if I can get accurate hour reading.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

Glad that worked! This sounds a lot like leaving a dunked cell phone in a container of rice... I wonder if that would work? You might end up with rice stuck inside the gauge though.

Comment

I did the same with a gauge on a 92 excel i just sold. I took the gauge apart just as you described. And glued it back together with gorilla glue. I didnt think about the silica packs thats genius. Amazingly it began working again. Not sure if it was a long term fix as i no longer have the boat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using PLT Nautique mobile app

Comment

Here is the video of what I did. Sorry this took me so long. At the end I talk about soldering the inside (not what I would recommend). To be clear, what I was saying is that you would need to simply re-heat the solder joints and possibly add a tiny bit. The joints are obvious to see, but which one(s) isn't working won't be so obvious so you'd have to do them all. Again - don't go this route unless the silica packets don't work and if you're willing to have the cut chrome ring visible on your dash (forever). I also let mine sit inside the house for at least 2 weeks to completely dry out.

Comment

Good afternoon, I'm putting selikagel in the boat for the winter for the cat's toilet . I put them in bags (made of men's socks) and put them in different places in the hold of the boat .

Comment

I use 3 containers of damp-rid and each one is half full of water in the spring.

Comment

I upgraded my Perfect Pass Gauge to a Smart Phone interface by NICKiNAV.

Turn your older wake/ski boat into a smart boat lol.

It's plug and play with the older Perfect Pass connectors, Just replace your Perfect Pass Module with the NickiNav module to upgrade your Perfect Pass to GPS for ~$400.

Best part is that it integrates your set-speed and volume controls to automatically raise and lower your media volume when you take off and slow back down!

www.nickinav.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	androidApp.png
Views:	599
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	634227​​

Comment

That looks interesting, and the volume control would be sweet. Did you just leave the dead PP gauge in the cluster or put something else there?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought the App for something like $5. Should be interesting to see if it works. I really was just looking for the speed with 1/10s so I can "tune in" my speedo but I'll take the sound deal as a bonus, if it works.....

Comment

Oh, I didn't realize you could just buy the app and use it without the control module. Please update if the volume control works. It's frigging snowing here right now, so it'll be a while before I can try it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X