Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil change

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oil change

    Ok, I did the oil change myself with a pump, and pulled the oil through the dip stick holder. I originally planned to use the drain, but where would you drain to, this hose would not reach the drain plug. What did I miss?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • #2
    You will get many different answers to your question . I have the exact same drain hose set up as you . I took my pump and attached a brass fitting to match the drain hose base fitting on drain hose . Take that female brass drain cap to Lowe's and match up and you will be in business . No mess and I could not be happier with the results during my oil changes

    Comment


    • #4
      Here is what i use.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	oil change fittings.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	597652



      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #5
        DO NOT put anything other than the dipstick in the dipstick tube. The extraction pump tube can get caught on something in the oil pan and be very difficult to remove. Don't ask me how I know this. Suffice to say its a pain.

        You don't need any special fittings. Just insert the extraction tube all the way in the drain hose that you are holding in the pic above. It works great and you don't have to by anything extra.
        2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

        Comment


        • #6
          All good answer and all will work. I'd also second Evening Shade's comment on running the tube down the dip stick tube. Had the same sinking feeling when the tube briefly got caught on something in the pan.Easiest for me was finally have 20 some years for running the tube up the drain tube was going to Loews and finally buying the female fitting and just using the oil drain tube and attaching it to my oil pump kit. First time I actually drained the oil this way I just kind of stared at it wondering to myself why it took me so long to do this. Of course then next one I did had a different fitting on the end of the tube.

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by Evening Shade View Post
            DO NOT put anything other than the dipstick in the dipstick tube. The extraction pump tube can get caught on something in the oil pan and be very difficult to remove. Don't ask me how I know this. Suffice to say its a pain.

            You don't need any special fittings. Just insert the extraction tube all the way in the drain hose that you are holding in the pic above. It works great and you don't have to by anything extra.
            Evening Shade’s method works just fine . The only fitting you would need to buy would be the female brass fitting to place on the pump hose . Approx cost $3.50. This method is much cleaner with less mess than inserting the extractor hose into the oil pan drain hose. I have tried both methods . As Jeff said it is the only way to go .
            Last edited by GMLIII; 3 weeks ago.

            Comment


            • #8
              Could you just get a fitting and extend the hose the length needed to reach/go out through the drain plug?

              Comment


              • #9
                Simple: https://imgur.com/a/ARGsDol

                Comment


                • #10
                  AND, the fitting on the oil pan faces BACKWARD on mine so the more you pull it the bigger the kink...I ended up using a section of clear plastic hose that fits tight on the male fitting of the drain tube to extend it to the drain hole and let gravity do the rest.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    So, the option of putting the pump hose down the drain hose did NOT work for me. I was never able to get a good seal for the pump to get proper suction. that might be a problem with the pump I was using.

                    Greatly appreciate the guidance on not putting the pump hose down the dip stick, due to the tendency to get stuck. I had no issue, but maybe I was lucky.

                    One other question... At the very bottom on the picture, there is something that looks like a LARGE oil filter. If in the boat, facing the engine, it is in the closest left corner... what is that?

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by Mahnal View Post
                      So, the option of putting the pump hose down the drain hose did NOT work for me. I was never able to get a good seal for the pump to get proper suction. that might be a problem with the pump I was using.

                      Greatly appreciate the guidance on not putting the pump hose down the dip stick, due to the tendency to get stuck. I had no issue, but maybe I was lucky.

                      One other question... At the very bottom on the picture, there is something that looks like a LARGE oil filter. If in the boat, facing the engine, it is in the closest left corner... what is that?
                      Hard to see exactly but guessing that is your pre-fuel filter. On my boat I have the remote engine oil filter option and not far from that is the pre-fuel filter which is similar size.Then of course the FCC fuel filter. I replace both the fuel pre-filter you referenced and the FCC filter each Spring.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by Mahnal View Post
                        So, the option of putting the pump hose down the drain hose did NOT work for me. I was never able to get a good seal for the pump to get proper suction. that might be a problem with the pump I was using.

                        Greatly appreciate the guidance on not putting the pump hose down the dip stick, due to the tendency to get stuck. I had no issue, but maybe I was lucky.

                        One other question... At the very bottom on the picture, there is something that looks like a LARGE oil filter. If in the boat, facing the engine, it is in the closest left corner... what is that?
                        That blue oil-changer I posted above in the pics is nearly 20 years old. It's changed the oil in my boats, my neighbors boats, all of our jet-skis, lawnmowers, power washers etc. It's been doing it for years. I don't understand what you mean by "never able to get a good seal." Between what? The extractor snout just slides into the oil changer hose exactly the same as it would down the dipstick tube (which again, is NOT recommended). They both go to the oil pan one way or another. Nothing needs to get a good seal here.

                        The filter in the Starboard corner is the Fuel/Water Separator Filter. You should change it.

                        -Charles

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by charlesml3 View Post

                          That blue oil-changer I posted above in the pics is nearly 20 years old. It's changed the oil in my boats, my neighbors boats, all of our jet-skis, lawnmowers, power washers etc. It's been doing it for years. I don't understand what you mean by "never able to get a good seal." Between what? The extractor snout just slides into the oil changer hose exactly the same as it would down the dipstick tube (which again, is NOT recommended). They both go to the oil pan one way or another. Nothing needs to get a good seal here.

                          The filter in the Starboard corner is the Fuel/Water Separator Filter. You should change it.

                          -Charles
                          Agree, doesn't make sense. I must have pumped for an hour or so, only to get about 1/2 a quart. I was desperate to finish, so I put the hose down the dip stick tube, and immediately started getting oil, and got the full 5 quarts expected after about 30 minutes pumping occasionally. The pump I use was designed to go into the dip stick tube. Even still, I was not a fan of that approach, hence the reason I posted. I was on a hill, and so that might have been an issue, and if I got 4 qts instead of 5, that would make sense as to the problem. And just in case you are asking, yes, I ran the engine warming up the oil prior to extraction.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Did you take the oil filler cap off the engine first? I bet you forgot to do that. If you forget, there's no way for air to get in and you end up drawing a vacuum and the oil won't flow.

                            -Charles

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X