No announcement yet.

Opinion on Tires for a Tow Vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got 20k out of stock Duelers when I had my Tundra. They sucked. I'll third or fourth the Michelins for a Tundra or Sequoia.

Comment

Originally posted by Bevostein View Post
      We (wife) has a Sequoia Platinum as well. Never towed a single thing with those Bridgestone Dueler and we burned through the OEM set at 30K or less. Its not because you tow. Those tires are awful. I put on a set of oversize Nitto Terragrappler G2. We are 40K in on those and they are going strong.
      Bevostein - Do you have a picture of your Sequoia with those tires on it? I'm tired of the standard look of my Sequoia - rims and different tires is something I was considering.

Comment

Go to Tire Rack and read the hardness ratings and reviews. I found its a good place to review your fitment. You will see BFG All Terrains are very hard and thus wear a long time. My only complaint is that they become noisy but they do wear like iron. Highway versus city driving will also have a very bid impact on wear.

Comment

Team230 I can snap a pic tonight and tell you the tire size. I did have a 2" level installed on the front. I also had to bend the skid plate corner out of the way of the tire so it wouldn't rub. After that no issue with rubbing at all.

I did not replace rims. It ever becomes my daily driver I will but would probably go down to 18"

Comment

I run BFGs on the Excursion in 35s and have had Nittos which are junk. BFGs seem to ride better and last longer... That said if Michelin had a tire that looked a little more aggressive I would have put them on the Excursion this go around. I'm in auto business and Michelin are the best tires you can get IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by surroundsound64 View Post
              What kind of tire came OEM on the seq.? Some factory tires are junk! I've experienced no noticeable wear difference when towing with a quality tire. I've had excellent luck with Michelin both towing and not. Currently on my 2500 Ram I'm running Nitto Trail Grapplers and they seem to be fine. I believe they are an E load rating. Not sure what your options are for your size with a 20" wheel, but I'm betting that's a low profile tire with not many options.
              Not to de-rail this thread...but next time you need tires, opt for the Toyo Open Country over the Nitto Trail Grappler. Same tire but the Toyo is a higher ply and will last longer for towing. ~10k more miles out of the Toyo than the Nitto. Just FYI.

Comment

To the OP.... BFG's will probably last you the longest. My only complaint with them, is that they're so tough that they actually don't fair well in wet conditions. But they will last a long time! Nitto makes a great tire, but they use a soft compound which in turn wears more quickly. The Michelins are prob your best bet if you're looking to stick to a street tire. If you want something a little oversized and more rugged looking, I would look at Toyo Open Country AT II (mix between off road and street) in 275/65R20, or BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM2 in 305/55 R20. Of course you'd have to check to see if the BFG's would even fit your vehicle as they are approximately a 33" tire, but that's the smallest size they make that tire in a 20" rim. Otherwise, go with the Michelins!

Comment

Originally posted by Beg4wake View Post

Not to de-rail this thread...but next time you need tires, opt for the Toyo Open Country over the Nitto Trail Grappler. Same tire but the Toyo is a higher ply and will last longer for towing. ~10k more miles out of the Toyo than the Nitto. Just FYI.
                  That's what a friend of mine said when we installed tires at the same time. His are bald already. ha... For whatever reason. He does run a dually, FWIW.
                  2018 SAN 230
                  1981 Ski Nautique
                  Sold - 2011 Sport 200V
                  Sold - 2000 SAN

Comment

I am sure I will be flamed , but in my opinion the Michelins are garbage in the snow . The came stock on one vehicle we purchased and bought them on a recommendation from reviews and forum advice. Complete garbage in the snow . No bite whatsoever. I have 2 girls that play AAA hockey so we spend a crap ton of time in the snow and Ice. Not to mention the snowboard trips inbetween. If snow isn't an issue then by all means give em a go. But if you have any type of winter you'll regret them in the snow and ice

I like like many above am a Toyo/Nitto fan. My 13 Expedition has 137k so I drive the **** out my vehicles . Currently on my 9th full size SUV . I have had pretty much every tire. I am currently running Nitto Crossteks. It's an NTB specialty tire. Great in snow , an aggressive AT looking tire with an HT ride. Has been Rock solid with over 65k on them . The BFG's are great , but my only knock against them is when I drive on some gravel roads they chuck stones like crazy. The Open Country's where the best riding tire I owned, but they look like garbage because they're so plain.

I have owned one set of Cooper Discovery At2 and they were awesome. Nobody in my area stocks them and they rarely every have a sale on them so I just have written them off by me.

The Hankook Dynapro ATM was probably the worst tire I ever owned. They seemed to be one of the smoothest at the beginning , but after about 12-15k they got real noisy and just didn't last the long haul.

I am also also a huge believer in running nitrogen instead of regular air. I've found my tire pressures remain much more constant with the Nitrogen , both in the truck and on the trailer . Tire longevity is also based a lot upon maintenance . I regularly rotate and monitor the pressure.
                    Last edited by swatguy; 08-17-2017, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I would have to vouch for the LTX as it is an awesome highway tire. If you don't ever go offroad or onto any serious terrain it will do you fine and last a long time! As for them not being a winter tire if you live in an area with a solid season of winter like Canada you should be using a dedicated winter tire anyway. Michelin gets my vote.

Comment

This is a thread I started on Tundra Talk. it is about creating wheel well clearance for a Tundra using stock 20 wheels and 285-65-20 and a 3/1 lift level kit. May be of some help.
                        http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...tml#post494055
                        It also depends on if you want a street tire or an all terrain. I saw mention of passenger car tires (P) rated but not mention of light truck tires (LT). The P rated tires may not actually be rated for your load over a long haul. There is a specific rating that is used on P rated tires that allow an increased load for a short distance. This is how truck manufactures sell you that nice riding truck that has a capable tow rating. It has P rated tires. LT have a significant deeper tread and various load and tow ratings from D and E ratings. with that up grade your ride will become rougher. You do not need to max out the air pressure ratings while towing 46 psi rear and 42 front. less while not towing. If you had a 2 in. lift you could probably run 275-65-20. Driving style and road conditions are a big issue especially for longevity. On off road, snow and ice BFG AT Ko 2 cant be beat. But if you want something a little more civilized I would go with the Michelin A/T or Mud & Snow.

Comment

Originally posted by swatguy View Post
                          I am sure I will be flamed , but in my opinion the Michelins are garbage in the snow . The came stock on one vehicle we purchased and bought them on a recommendation from reviews and forum advice. Complete garbage in the snow . No bite whatsoever. I have 2 girls that play AAA hockey so we spend a crap ton of time in the snow and Ice. Not to mention the snowboard trips inbetween. If snow isn't an issue then by all means give em a go. But if you have any type of winter you'll regret them in the snow and ice

I like like many above am a Toyo/Nitto fan. My 13 Expedition has 137k so I drive the **** out my vehicles . Currently on my 9th full size SUV . I have had pretty much every tire. I am currently running Nitto Crossteks. It's an NTB specialty tire. Great in snow , an aggressive AT looking tire with an HT ride. Has been Rock solid with over 65k on them . The BFG's are great , but my only knock against them is when I drive on some gravel roads they chuck stones like crazy. The Open Country's where the best riding tire I owned, but they look like garbage because they're so plain.

I have owned one set of Cooper Discovery At2 and they were awesome. Nobody in my area stocks them and they rarely every have a sale on them so I just have written them off by me.

The Hankook Dynapro ATM was probably the worst tire I ever owned. They seemed to be one of the smoothest at the beginning , but after about 12-15k they got real noisy and just didn't last the long haul.

I am also also a huge believer in running nitrogen instead of regular air. I've found my tire pressures remain much more constant with the Nitrogen , both in the truck and on the trailer . Tire longevity is also based a lot upon maintenance . I regularly rotate and monitor the pressure.
                          Disagree on the snow part. We've driven them a ton in the snow and ice and they always performed excellent.
                          2018 SAN 230
                          1981 Ski Nautique
                          Sold - 2011 Sport 200V
                          Sold - 2000 SAN

Comment

Originally posted by surroundsound64 View Post

That's what a friend of mine said when we installed tires at the same time. His are bald already. ha... For whatever reason. He does run a dually, FWIW.
                            I was going to get the Nitto's when I bought my wheel/tire package but the vendor talked me into the Toyo's. He said he's had a ton of complaints about the wear on the Nitto's. I currently have 39k on my Toyos and can prob get another 8-10k out of them safely! And 80% of that truck's use is towing the G23!

Comment

Plus one to the michelin LTX m+s tires. they will last a time if you rotate them frequently and keep the air pressure a little on the high side like someone above said.

Comment

I am on my 3rd Tundra, and it was only on my 2016 TRD Tundra that came with great tires stock - Michelin LTX AT2.

Prior 1st generation Tundras had BFGoodrich Rugged Trail tires that were absolutely terrible.

When I tow I jack my tire pressure to 40PSI (max is 50).

- 2006 Ski Nautique 196 LE, Excalibur 330
                                - 2001 Super Sport Nautique, GT40

Comment

Working...
                                X