Opinion on Tires for a Tow Vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on Tires for a Tow Vehicle?

I'm still new to boating - I've only had my 230 for 2.5 years. When I got my boat, I also got a new tow vehicle and I've only towed my boat with this vehicle. Point being, my tires were brand new and now that I have 36k miles on my car, my tires need replaced. Couple of questions:

I assume the accelerated wear is due to my towing my boat. Have others experienced this? I expected to get 45k to 50k out of my OEM tires. Although, it seems the new trend that OEM tires always get much lower mileage than your replacement set. I have a 2016 Toyota Seq - Platinum - 20" rims so these tires are expensive.

I need to replace the tires. Any suggestions on a replacement tire that might get a longer wear? On some of the Towing strings, I've noticed people mentioning certain tires that are better for towing heavier loads, but thought I would ask for suggestions here.

I typically tow my boat about 50 miles each weekend and then a couple of times a year I tow it 500 miles to Norris (roundtrip).

Thanks in advance!

What kind of tire came OEM on the seq.? Some factory tires are junk! I've experienced no noticeable wear difference when towing with a quality tire. I've had excellent luck with Michelin both towing and not. Currently on my 2500 Ram I'm running Nitto Trail Grapplers and they seem to be fine. I believe they are an E load rating. Not sure what your options are for your size with a 20" wheel, but I'm betting that's a low profile tire with not many options.
    2018 SAN 230
    1981 Ski Nautique
    Sold - 2011 Sport 200V
    Sold - 2000 SAN

Comment

If you're looking for an all terrain, I've always gotten the best mileage out of BFG's all terrains.

Comment

Originally posted by markj View Post
        If you're looking for an all terrain, I've always gotten the best mileage out of BFG's all terrains.
        I've had excellent luck with BFGs as well. They changed them up slightly a year or so ago and I haven't tried the new style yet, but I have several friends with them who still say they great.
        2018 SAN 230
        1981 Ski Nautique
        Sold - 2011 Sport 200V
        Sold - 2000 SAN

Comment

Yeah I think they added more sidewall tread. Anyway, I used to get around 60K miles out of them, but that was when I drove a half ton Ram.

Comment

After seeing and using many brands of truck tires I've come to the conclusion that Michelin LTX M/S and LTX M/S2 are the best overall, although pricier. I'm currently got over 70k on my set of LTX M/S2 on an F-150 with about 1/3 useable tread remaining. Rotate on time and keep psi toward the higher end (not to exceed max of course) seems to help as well.

Comment

Same as me, always had BFG's and probably always will.
              always satisfied, why change a winning recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Werstlna View Post
                After seeing and using many brands of truck tires I've come to the conclusion that Michelin LTX M/S and LTX M/S2 are the best overall, although pricier. I'm currently got over 70k on my set of LTX M/S2 on an F-150 with about 1/3 useable tread remaining. Rotate on time and keep psi toward the higher end (not to exceed max of course) seems to help as well.
                No one believes me, but my dad got 120k out of a set of these on his XL Denali. He kept them inflated and rotated them religiously. And at 120k he wasn't even to the wear bars. He had to finally change them because they dry rotted!
                2018 SAN 230
                1981 Ski Nautique
                Sold - 2011 Sport 200V
                Sold - 2000 SAN

Comment

I think when people mention some tires are better for towing they are speaking more of diameter then brand. If towing is your main issue you should drop to a 18" tire.

Comment

In my experience, Tundras and Sequoias (I have one of each) chew through tires. From some forum threads and talking with my tire guy, this is a common complaint. FWIW, I tow pretty heavy about 70% of my miles on the Tundra and burned through the OEM tires in 25k miles. I hardly tow with the Sequoia and burned through the OEM set in 35k miles.

My only suggestion is to go with LT tires instead of the crap P tires that come stock. (BTW, the Michelin LTX comes in either LT or P rated versions...I didn't pay attention and I bought the P rated for the Tundra--dead in 30k miles.).

My only other experience with LTX tires was the LT version on a Ford Expedition...I had over 50k miles on them when I sold the truck and they had a lot of tread left.

On the Tundra, my latest set is BFG AT. At 20k miles, it looks like I'm perhaps 40%-50% of the way through the tires--though I haven't actually measured. They're definitely holding up better than OEM or the P rated LTX.

On the Sequoia, I put on LT rated Michelin Defender LTX....too soon to know how they'll hold up.
                    Previous boats:
                    2015 G23
                    2008 SAN 210
                    2002 XStar
                    1995 Sport Nautique

Comment

Thanks for all the opinions. My current tires are Bridgestone Duelers and they need replaced before winter (currently at 34k - not the 36k I estimated above). I think that sucks.

xrichard - thanks for the personal experience with the Sequoia and the research you have done. I think I'll give the Michelin's a shot. They are indeed more expensive - about $200 per tire.

Again - thanks for all the comments. It's great to be able to hear people's experience and opinion on this stuff.

Comment

I'm a toyo guy. Used to run nittos and liked them until I went with toyos. I've got the open country mud terrains on mine so definitely not what you're looking but brand wise they are great tires. I've got 50k plus on these mud tires and they still look good

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

We (wife) has a Sequoia Platinum as well. Never towed a single thing with those Bridgestone Dueler and we burned through the OEM set at 30K or less. Its not because you tow. Those tires are awful. I put on a set of oversize Nitto Terragrappler G2. We are 40K in on those and they are going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Werstlna View Post
                            The man is correct; it isn't debatable. The LTX M/S 2 is the best you can get for that vehicle... My wife has one of these doggone vehicles. I can't wait to get back to American. I'm ordering her an Escalade this coming spring.
                            Last edited by RDT-G23; 08-15-2017, 05:02 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Besides eating up tires those Sequoias drink gas like no other

Comment

Working...
                              X