SAN 230 Surfing Setup Summary Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ckowals1 View Post

Yes, the deeper the better for water depth for sure.
    For me, If I'm surfing off the port side, my hydrogate is set at 2. Moving it any higher will produce alot of spray. For surfing on the starboard side I only use the hydrogate if it is a choppy day or there's alot of boat traffic (helps keep the front of the boat down).
    My ballast is all full, with the rear ballast evenly weighted.
    Sounds like we are doing similar things. I will move hydrogate to 2 on the next go. For the Vert/Ramp settings on the screen is that adjusting the gate as well or should I adjust that too?

Comment

• Originally posted by Beach-TJ View Post
      Try NSS at 5 to get a nice shaped wave, then bump the speed to 11.2 to stretch the pocket out. That combo works great on my buddies 230. Great shaped wave with a nice long pocket.

Edit: our crew surf's, i don't think i know anyone that skim's. So the above is for a surf wake. If you skim then a NSS around 0 and a slower speed will probably be more what you want.
      I found this to work pretty good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• 2017 230
        Factory = 1300lbs
        Surf Option = 800lbs (2100lbs of ballast)
        Fuel 177L = 292 lbs full
        2x Duplex skurfer bags under back seats ~400 each they are probably 94.3% full = ~800 lbs
        Lead up in very front= 183lbs (exact measurement)
        1300+800+292+800+183=3375 of Ballast Baby!
        Minus fuel 292-3375=-3083
        So ya, ~3100 not including 300lbs of fuel.
        Boat Approx Dry Weight 4650lbs
        =8025lbs getting pushed through the water by an
        LS 6.0L making:
        400lbs torque 400hp
        EQUALS FUN SURF WAKE.

And lately I enjoy surfing what I call G-Speed 11.8 at 0 “Vert” wake gate, and 5 nss
        The speed is just enough to stretch the pocket and stiffens the water and feels more like what my G23 friends surf in their boats 0ncrs,5nss and 11.8 but without the “G23 Shelf” as I call it. And, it is definitely helping with the 360s and Airs progress.

Something to try anyways… oh, and 3 adults and 2 little kids sitting in the back of the boat no one in the front, they might weigh 650 lbs soaking wet.

I’ll probably plumb the ballasts under the back seats and/or play with lead some more to regain storage. The 650s under the back bins sounds interesting, but I definitely like those bins too much to get rid of. If your wondering the bags under the back seats were to mimic Charles’ lead under the back piggy back bags. I liked em so I kept them. I don’t miss the storage under the seats like I thought I would besides some people like to sit an not be asked to move in order to get stuff… next step find a better more accessible cooler spot.

PS I like the wave better than stock G23s, albeit Gs are zero hassle and more storage with the cooler in the floor!

@glasssurfer on Instagram
        -R

Comment

• Originally posted by dhanni848 View Post

Sounds like we are doing similar things. I will move hydrogate to 2 on the next go. For the Vert/Ramp settings on the screen is that adjusting the gate as well or should I adjust that too?
          Think we got it dialed yesterday with all ballast full, 150lbs lead under port removable backrest, hydrogate 2, and 10.8mph. Tons of push, and had to ride far back just to keep from running up on the platform.
          Attached Files

Comment

• A question for the masses: more weight or different board?

Specs: 2020, 650s on top of pro ballast, 200lbs of lead in the port observer area. I'm 6'1" 240lbs and the board is a Ronix Powertail 4'11".

With a few extra adults onboard there is (depending on how many people) anywhere from "enough" to "plenty" of push for me. When it's just my wife driving and no one else, I'm not able to drop the rope. I hadn't ridden behind the boat at all without extra people until a few days ago, so it was a bit of a surprise when I suddenly had to hold on. I get it, I'm a big guy and I know I need a lot of push. My wife who is >100lbs less can surf all over creation without anyone else in the boat, so I know it's me. I also was kind of roped into that Ronix board - I wanted a different board and was convinced otherwise. I feel like it's potentially too small for me.

With that being said, to the question: am I better of getting a longer board (Hyperlite Landlock 5.9) or getting another 300lbs of lead? I see some benefits to both and some negatives to both. I'm a little too conservative with money right now to just go get both lead and a new board, but with the future calendar showing quite a few lake trips with just the wife and I, I want to be able to do my thing.

Thoughts?

Comment

• I have a ‘14 230 with 650 on top of hard tanks (assuming that is what you mean when you say pro ballast?) and then I have 250 lbs on top of the hard tanks (between the tanks and 650 sacs). I then have 100 of lead in the nose and 100 mid ship on port side. The wake it creates is plenty big for me (6’2” and 180) to ride a 4’7” Board comfortably. I also have a hyperlyte time machine that I can ride with another person weighing 150lbs with no rope moving up and down the wake.

Comment

• Yeah I probably should have negated height and focused on weight. I'm sure if you carried two 30 lb weights in each hand you'd have a harder time surfing. And sure, I could lose 60lbs, but I would look weird and I doubt it'll happen before Thursday.

So still looking at benefit of a bigger board vs more lead...

Comment

• No question a larger board will help, but I guess just Know that your boat still has some room to add more weight that will have an impact I would think. I normally only have my wife and 2 kids with me...when their friends come, and we have 8-10 teenagers, it’s a whole different wake

Comment

• I have a 19 230 and I put standard 750’s in each rear locker on top of the hard tanks and I can still fit the trays? Am I missing something here? Going from the 400’s that come with the pro ballast to the 750’s made a huge difference in the wake. I have had the best wave at 100% in the rear lockers and 20-30% in the center tank and running 10.8 with nss at 0 and hydrogate at 2.

Comment

• With 750s you cannot fit the trays AND fill the bags fully. You can fill them to about 600 pounds before they start pushing the trays up.

-Charles

Comment

• Hey Guys, I'm upgrading this year from a 2008 230 to a 2020! I am looking to add additional ballast and the consensus seems to be the 650 exactFit bags for the rears or 750's, but what bag are you putting up front? I'm not necessarily looking to use the shot bags just yet. On my '08 I piggybacked a 600 lb. arrow bag under the front seats. Am I able to do the same on the 2020? On Wakemakers website there is not a piggyback option for the bow. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Comment

• I personally don’t run significant weight in the bow and haven’t felt the need to. I am one of many running Wakemakers 650s and scattering 500-800 of shot bags (depending on crew size) with a port bias. I do put 150 lbs of shot in the bow, and oftentimes I have kids sitting there as well l. I wouldn’t want significant extra weight in the bow, as I feel our wave is best with a bit of bow rise. If the bow rise is too much or we are having trouble getting to surf speed (rarely an issue since I went to a lower pitch prop), I’ll have some of my 5 kids move to the bow. Conversely, when I’m surfing, if most of the kids are in the bow, my wife at the helm, and no human ballast is near the stern of the boat, I feel like the wave push suffers, hence my opinion above that a bit of bow rise is good. I think I remember Charles echoing this way back in this thread somewhere...just enough weight up front to keep the bow rise reasonable, otherwise weight the back/mid of the boat.
                          Last edited by PapaBear; 02-08-2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Yep. I have tried weight in the front but never left it there. The only exception is if we have a LOT of people on the boat and somebody has to be up there.

-Charles

Comment

• So I have a 2012 SANTE 230 and I've just removed the hard tanks and added 1100 FatSacs. My question is what do you do (if anything) with the connector that went to the hard tank fill level gauge? Also in regards to the fill / empty ports on the FatSacs which one do you recommend tapping into? I think I should use the lower ones on both fill an empty? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X