No announcement yet.

SAN 230 Surfing Setup Summary Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Guys, I've got a 2019 230, surf on starboard side. Have the factory 400 lb pro ballast bags and 500# of lead (300 starboard & 200 port) under the bags. Found recently that when it's just my wife & 9 y/o in the boat having the back tanks full and front tank reduced to 30% made a huge difference. It does bring the bow up a bit but the wake is surprisingly much better -- tall and long. Surf at 10.9 mph, NSS 4, NCSS 3. I can ride it waaaay back at this setup.
    Wanted to ask where you guys are getting these 650# bags from? I don't see them on Wakemakers. I'm so done with the lead in the back! My boat porpoises up and down like crazy when running empty tanks at higher speeds. I also think the lead messes with the wake for novice wakeboarders at slower speeds. So, I'm hoping to get rid of some of that lead and have a net-zero tradeoff with these bags. Thanks for helping to find them. I also have the trays and no way can I get rid of those. Storage space is too limited on the 230. thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurley View Post
      Hi Guys, I've got a 2019 230, surf on starboard side. Have the factory 400 lb pro ballast bags and 500# of lead (300 starboard & 200 port) under the bags. Found recently that when it's just my wife & 9 y/o in the boat having the back tanks full and front tank reduced to 30% made a huge difference. It does bring the bow up a bit but the wake is surprisingly much better -- tall and long. Surf at 10.9 mph, NSS 4, NCSS 3. I can ride it waaaay back at this setup.
      Wanted to ask where you guys are getting these 650# bags from? I don't see them on Wakemakers. I'm so done with the lead in the back! My boat porpoises up and down like crazy when running empty tanks at higher speeds. I also think the lead messes with the wake for novice wakeboarders at slower speeds. So, I'm hoping to get rid of some of that lead and have a net-zero tradeoff with these bags. Thanks for helping to find them. I also have the trays and no way can I get rid of those. Storage space is too limited on the 230. thanks

https://www.wakemakers.com/nautique-...st-system.html

Link says 750 but these are the product. You may have to select your boat specifics from the menu.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

• Originally posted by SkimRider View Post
        I asked about the trays fitting with the 650's a few weeks ago. I went ahead and got them and installed them. I was going to say exactly what PapaBear said. That is spot on in my experience.

The only thing I would add, is that I did the install on just the port side first and went out and tested it. I left the both trays in and the lids closed and filled port and starboard ballasts. Once full, the boat listed to the port side fairly heavily. So, my conclusion is that even with the trays in, you are getting a fair amount of additional ballast over the stock Pro ballast. Hard to say how much.

I'm pretty excited, because I had been bringing an extra bag for the floor out when it was just two of us. Now, I don't need to do that anymore! Have not added any lead yet, but, I may put some up front.

Regarding the install, it wasn't too bad at all and I am not very "handy". I'm actually making an install video for WakeMakers.

I'm wondering about the dividers too. One of my horizontal bars has bowed slightly.
        I ordered the 650s and the divider panel, I am waiting for them to arrive. I look forward to your installation video, sounds fairly straightforward though. Thanks.

Comment

• The install is very straightforward. My biggest challenge was working with those STIFF hoses. Bring a hair dryer or similar, otherwise its near impossible to get them on and off. Particulalrly because you are working in a tight space and it can be challenging getting leverage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurley View Post
            Hi Guys, I've got a 2019 230, surf on starboard side. Have the factory 400 lb pro ballast bags and 500# of lead (300 starboard & 200 port) under the bags. Found recently that when it's just my wife & 9 y/o in the boat having the back tanks full and front tank reduced to 30% made a huge difference. It does bring the bow up a bit but the wake is surprisingly much better -- tall and long. Surf at 10.9 mph, NSS 4, NCSS 3. I can ride it waaaay back at this setup.
            PM sent.

Comment

• Few tips for people with factory pro ballast who have not upgraded yet. First off 10 feet of water depth is needed or the wave won’t form, it took me a while to figure this out (shallow lake).
              Ballast: port full, starboard 95%,front/bow ballast 70%. NSS 1, Hydrogate 1. I’ve found that dumping 250 Pounds out of the bow really helps the wave. It really adds some push and let me surf further back off the platform.

Comment

• Has anyone converted the nautique pro ballast bags (fat sac original 400 pounders) into on-board ballast for extra weight? I tried to unscrew the ballast connectors but they won’t come off. Has anyone been able to adapt the bags with fittings and a tsunami pump?

Comment

• In case anyone had thoughts of trying it...I changed my stock prop out for an Acme 2079, which has a lower pitch. It’s the model that Wakemakers lists for 230 at high altitude or with heavy ballast. I have a 2015 230 with ZR409. I’m at 3100 pounds of ballast, and with the stock prop, if everyone was sitting at the back of the boat or if we had a bigger crew, the boat would take longer to achieve surf speed than I liked and sound like it was struggling (maybe cavitating?) The new prop improves launch a ton with very smooth and easy acceleration as well as faster time to surf speed. You can certainly notice the higher RPM at cruising speeds, but we are only at those speeds going to and from our surfing and coving spots. I essentially never top it out, but I tried just for comparison, and top speed went from around 41 MPH to around 37-38 MPH.

Comment

• I have a 2011 with the EX343 and the 2079 is a game changer compared to the 1235. We get to surf speed almost immediately. We’re running a similar 3,000ish lb load. We lost some top end but I never really use it. I’m glad Wakemakers has started recommending it. Info on using the prop in a 230 was pretty hard to find a couple of years ago.

Comment

• Not technically surf related as it considers ballast/speed settings. But I wanted to see if anyone here retrofitted the 2014+ Nautique “surf pipe” onto a 2007-2011 236/230 hull.
                      i have an 08 230 that really kicks up a lot of exhaust fumes when surfing. (1100 fat sacs in each rear locker. Stock belly ballast + 675lb arrow sack).
                      when the rear 1100s are filled more that 2/3 of the way and I have more than 2 people In the boat, the fumes become more noticeable.
                      considering the FAE, but I don’t like the look of it with the rubber connector. I’d prefer a smoother all metal exhaust.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ckowals1 View Post
                        Not technically surf related as it considers ballast/speed settings. But I wanted to see if anyone here retrofitted the 2014+ Nautique “surf pipe” onto a 2007-2011 236/230 hull.
                        i have an 08 230 that really kicks up a lot of exhaust fumes when surfing. (1100 fat sacs in each rear locker. Stock belly ballast + 675lb arrow sack).
                        when the rear 1100s are filled more that 2/3 of the way and I have more than 2 people In the boat, the fumes become more noticeable.
                        considering the FAE, but I don’t like the look of it with the rubber connector. I’d prefer a smoother all metal exhaust.
                        Following up on my post. I contacted FAE and was notified that for an additional 20$ they can include a thru-hull bracket that would eliminate the need for the rubber connector, as well as eliminate the need for the support bracket. Looks like my problem is solved!

Comment

• New to the 230 (just picked mine up Friday). We did some surfing and it may be me but having a little issue staying in the pocket or finding it really. 2013 with NSS, 1100s in rear lockers, factory belly with bow bag piggybacked off that. Not sure of the size on the bow but fills the entire bow.

I have tried from 10-11 MPH with all full. We all surf port. It does have hydrogate as well and we had at 0. What are some suggestions for me? Open to opinions other than a bunch of sacks in seats or floors!

Comment

• Originally posted by dhanni848 View Post
                            New to the 230 (just picked mine up Friday). We did some surfing and it may be me but having a little issue staying in the pocket or finding it really. 2013 with NSS, 1100s in rear lockers, factory belly with bow bag piggybacked off that. Not sure of the size on the bow but fills the entire bow.

I have tried from 10-11 MPH with all full. We all surf port. It does have hydrogate as well and we had at 0. What are some suggestions for me? Open to opinions other than a bunch of sacks in seats or floors!
                            My boat's ballast and speed setup is pretty much similar, and I'd say it is a big wave with tons of push. I tun at 11.2 mph to get a little longer wave (slower speed = not as long, but a taller wave).
                            I have noticed a huge diference in push (ability to stay with the wave) when the depth of water is below 15'.
                            Additionally, riding on a board that is small for your size (height and weight), being positioned too far back on the board, and having too much weight over your back foot are all things that will make it hard to keep up with the wave

Comment

• Originally posted by Ckowals1 View Post

My boat's ballast and speed setup is pretty much similar, and I'd say it is a big wave with tons of push. I tun at 11.2 mph to get a little longer wave (slower speed = not as long, but a taller wave).
                              I have noticed a huge diference in push (ability to stay with the wave) when the depth of water is below 15'.
                              Additionally, riding on a board that is small for your size (height and weight), being positioned too far back on the board, and having too much weight over your back foot are all things that will make it hard to keep up with the wave
                              We were above 15' of water for sure, I have read that deeper than 20' may even been the number. I may just be going too slow since i have tried anything from a 4'4" to a quad 5'9". I am 5'10" 170lbs and surfed my 210 close to the platform but could go down the lake no problem. What is your hydrogate at or havent seen much difference? Are you all ballast full and surfing port side?

Comment

• Originally posted by dhanni848 View Post

We were above 15' of water for sure, I have read that deeper than 20' may even been the number. I may just be going too slow since i have tried anything from a 4'4" to a quad 5'9". I am 5'10" 170lbs and surfed my 210 close to the platform but could go down the lake no problem. What is your hydrogate at or havent seen much difference? Are you all ballast full and surfing port side?
                                Yes, the deeper the better for water depth for sure.
                                For me, If I'm surfing off the port side, my hydrogate is set at 2. Moving it any higher will produce alot of spray. For surfing on the starboard side I only use the hydrogate if it is a choppy day or there's alot of boat traffic (helps keep the front of the boat down).
                                My ballast is all full, with the rear ballast evenly weighted.

Comment

Working...
                                X