No announcement yet.

Ski safe insurance hike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Ski Safe went up over $300 this year too.

Wonder if we could try a group buy on insurance. I realize all of our situations are vastly different. However, the power of a large group could have some major pricing influence.

Sadly, I renewed already, so it would have to wait until next year. But it would give us planning time. I'd be willing to help price it around.

I had Progressive many years ago for a car insurance and got screwed a good bit. I swore I would never use them again. Guess who insures my pontoon boat (which is only used as a floating dock) and trailer...Progressive. However, I worked with an agent locally and I have it insured for replacement value and lots of liability.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd be curious to know what the losses are that are driving the rates. Is there a sudden increase in liability or did something like the major floods in the Highland Lakes in Texas cause that many losses? Or a named storm? Or do they just figure that if you're "affording" a boat of this expense that you can "afford" the insurance at whatever rate?

Comment

Originally posted by Skidave View Post

Wonder if we could try a group buy on insurance. I realize all of our situations are vastly different. However, the power of a large group could have some major pricing influence.

Sadly, I renewed already, so it would have to wait until next year. But it would give us planning time. I'd be willing to help price it around.

I had Progressive many years ago for a car insurance and got screwed a good bit. I swore I would never use them again. Guess who insures my pontoon boat (which is only used as a floating dock) and trailer...Progressive. However, I worked with an agent locally and I have it insured for replacement value and lots of liability.

It would be nice and informative if they would respond to this thread since they are a PN sponsor. They do post threads although, but they are just generic posts which are just cut and pasted from websites with really no value to any members. I will be shopping on my renewal date for sure.
        Last edited by GMLIII; 12-06-2019, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidave View Post

I find your lots of liability statement intriguing. Can you share your experience as food for thought when buying liability?

Comment

For this situation, additional liability was not very expensive. I went this route in case some crashes their boat into my dock (seasonally anchored to our river lot), injures themselves while on the dock (as a guest or uninvited guest) or it floats away and there is an issue.

I don't want any of the above to occur, but I'd rather carry more than less.

I'm in PA, our insurance has Tort, Limited-Tort and liability options. Not sure how other states work. I'm a fan of a bit more spend for better protection. Don't get me wrong, crap hits the fan...lawyers get involved. I get that. I personally feel better with more coverage.

Comment

This has me a bit nervous for my renewal now since I had a small claim this year due to some storm damage. Start shopping in the coming months I guess. Only have ever had SkiSafe.

Comment

Hi all,

I hope everyone in the Planet Nautique community and their families have a happy holiday and healthy new year. While we can’t stay on top of everything happening in the online boating world we really do appreciate and value the support that dedicated skiers have shown us for nearly 30 years. For much of that time our rates on ski boats remained entirely unchanged – literally flat without any increase at all.

Market forces eventually catch up to all of us and we did roll out a modest increase on ski boats this year. However, it really was intended to be a modest increase rather than anything dramatic that some of you have seen. I would strongly urge you to contact us at 800-225-6560 or customer@skisafe.com and ask us to review your policy. Tell the underwriter you’re a Planet Nautique member. We want each and every one of your renewals to be received as smoothly as possible.

Don’t be a stranger – we really are here to help if we can!

Best,
                SkiSafe

Comment

I called the number stated above and the only additional discount I could receive was a water safety course for roughly $40 savings. My rate increased 15% YoY and I have not had a claim in 20 yrs. I will be heading back to Progressive.
                  2018 - G23
                  2012 - 230 SANTE
                  2010 - 230 SANTE
                  2007 - 210 SANTE
                  2003 - 210 SANTE
                  1996 - Ski Nautique

Comment

Originally posted by BMANNING View Post
                    I called the number stated above and the only additional discount I could receive was a water safety course for roughly $40 savings. My rate increased 15% YoY and I have not had a claim in 20 yrs. I will be heading back to Progressive.
                    How much less was Progressive vs SkiSafe for same coverage?

Comment

Going with Progressive was less than a 2% YoY increase with identical coverage except for one item. With SkiSafe, I had a 7 month lay-up period and Progressive does not offer a lay-up period.
                      2018 - G23
                      2012 - 230 SANTE
                      2010 - 230 SANTE
                      2007 - 210 SANTE
                      2003 - 210 SANTE
                      1996 - Ski Nautique

Comment

I'm sorry to come off the top rope here, but does SS really think that a 15-30% rate increase without a commensurate increase in benefit is reasonably explained to a group of high earning, some well educated people, many of whom are business owners themselves, as "market forces?"

As much as USAA's prices and degradation of service have driven many away, they at least had the integrity to tell everyone in the '12/'13 timeframe that they were about to crush everyone's rates because of sizable losses from a hurricane in Florida and wildfires in TX and CO. Yep, got it. I might not agree with the principle of paying more to cover your losses and I might not keep my insurance with you, but I respect the forthright answer.

Also, lest we forget, market forces are a two way street.

Comment

I wrote a nice but firm e mail and they dropped the premium to $420 so I will stay for this next year, still dirty pool but I dont have time right now to spend hours finding a new insurance provider, so the rate hike was all profit based !!!!

Comment

I got my SKI SAFE renewal today...No change. $0 I took the above advice and called them a couple months ago. They said it was a bit early since mine is a march renewal, but glad it stayed flat
                            Last edited by scottb7; 02-03-2020, 01:42 PM.

Comment

was your insurance from ski safe?
                              they said it was because the boat turned a certain age it went up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gbracer View Post
                                was your insurance from ski safe?
                                they said it was because the boat turned a certain age it went up.
                                Mine was ski safe, i edited my post to be more clear.

Comment

Working...
                                X