Ski safe insurance hike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ski safe insurance hike

Just got an email from ski safe for next years insurance and they raised it from $380 to $579 now thats a bit outrageous, anyone else get the same thing??
    time to shop around again, anybody have sugestions of where to go??

My insurance with Ski Safe went up 30% this year. I was with them for about 10 years and never had a claim. The cheapest option for me was to tie my boat, rv, and house together. Bundle and save!

Comment

They did the same thing to me last year. Pretty much the same exact base price and hike as you on my 2005 SANTE. Let us know if you find something better.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

We got an increase this year as well from Ski Safe, '08 230. No claims ever...Me thinks they had some serious claim $$$ from the TX floods...
        2008 230 TE-ZR6
        1999 Pro Air Python-sold and moved away :-(

Comment

This is pretty much the same move many insurance companies use. Not sure anyone can really say for sure why they try these absurd increases on their best customers but losses from one event or another seem to drive many of these events as they try to recover those payouts from other customers. I remember after hurricane Sandy BoatUS tried to do a number on all their members and even sent a note with the increase saying that due to the losses from hurricane Sandy they were going to raise my rates 40%. Sorry but I live in Michigan, I'd had no claims in 15+ years and my boat sits on a lift on an inland lake or in my driveway far from the reaches of any ocean. There's no way I was going to eat a $150/yr increase to pay for hurricane Sandy damage. From my perspective they obviously under charged their customers with ocean going boats.

To me the logical answer would be to raise the rates in the area of the losses and leave the customers with no claims alone. I mean they're the ones actually paying for the losses already by not having any claims, but then again I'm sure there's some actuary somewhere calculating how many suckers, I mean customers will adsorb the increase without shopping around or will not notice it and will just pay it.

After buying this latest boat I was back on the market again for insurance. After shopping around BoatUS was by far the cheapest based on cost/coverage/deductible. Progressive was the next best deal and Ski Safe was a distance third due to their unusually high deductible they had on their policies. Who knows what this year will bring but right now I have my jet ski and Nautique with BoatUS. Sounds like it's time for you to do some shopping. Based on your claim record it shouldn't be that hard to find something cheaper/better.
          Last edited by bturner; 1 week ago.

Comment

Its always good to check around at renewal time they have NO loyalty to you . I am with Geico they are Boat US I will stay until they raise their rates??

Comment

I was going to switch the boat from my All State bundle to Ski Safe but it sounds like their pricing will be similar now for an 04 210.

+ All State has my value at $47K between the boat, trailer, and stereo (outdated now)

Comment

I had the same experience years ago.. At the time I had been with them well over 15 years with zero claims and only minor increases to my premiums.. Then all of a sudden my policy increased by about $400 for the year if I remember right. What was most disappointing to me was the customer service when I called in to find out why. They were borderline rude and did not have much to say about me being a long time customer and were just like "that's the way things go, sometimes there are bigger rate increases".

Comment

Yeah Im feeling the same way. I have SkiSafe now but feel when my policy renews it is not going to be pretty, and that I will have to bend over to stay with them. Zero claims but feel a large spike in my premium on my renewal. Hope I'm wrong but many negitive vibes ( large premium increases, very high deductables vs competition, etc) now with SkiSafe.

Comment

My 210 and 230 with Geico/BoatUS both clocked in at about .85-.9% of the value. They also seemed to have the most liability coverage available and the differences in that coverage weren't that big.

Comment

A few months ago when I renewed SkiSafe had jumped quite a bit but it was still slightly cheaper than BoatUS and way cheaper than Allstate.

Comment

Seems they comment/advertise here often. It would be nice to hear from them with regard to this now.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrenaline1 View Post
                          Seems they comment/advertise here often. It would be nice to hear from them with regard to this now.
                          They probably won't touch this thread.

Comment

Same here, big increase, long time customer, no claims. I asked them to not force me to look for new insurance. I'm as loyal as they come if my service has been good and the price increases are moderate. When I leave, I'll never come back, as am guessing is the case with most people, cant understand how thats a good business model.

Comment

Originally posted by patoloco View Post
                              Same here, big increase, long time customer, no claims. I asked them to not force me to look for new insurance. I'm as loyal as they come if my service has been good and the price increases are moderate. When I leave, I'll never come back, as am guessing is the case with most people, cant understand how thats a good business model.
                              Understand that personal lines rates are filed with the state insurance commissioner and the carrier cannot deviate from those filed rates. That means the carrier cannot make an accommodation for individual clients just because you have been a long time client with no claims.

Comment

Working...
                              X