2019 G23 vs Supra SL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockthis View Post
    That is a though one . I would probably go G23 over a Sl for that price just because of the transmission reduction in the G and only a 1.5 transmission on the SL .Just remember there is probably a major redesign coming for the g in 2020, so will you be bummed if your g is no longer current. If you are designing a supra, the SE has the transmission reduction and comes stock with the new 450 so you would be fine with out the supercharged (so you would save a ton of cash). The SE with a base motor was almost the Same as a SL with a 450.
    The OP is over 4500 feet, so he probably needs the supercharged motor regardless of gear reduction. Croft orders all of their boats supercharged in Salt Lake City.

I know our dealer took a boat up to that area and put a 17 X 14 prop on it, and it worked great with the 450....if you like being at 4500 RPM cruising along at 26 MPH. Or Surfing at 4000 RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by jtryon View Post

so basically nautique is winning here because they make people think they are getting a deal by having a higher MSRP?
      Yes and No. Some psychiatry is definitely involved in the whole discount off MSRP thing. I think the bottom line, is the bottom line. I cannot speak for the OP, but it seemed that a second trip the the Nautique dealer provided a better discount, and a second trip to the Supra dealer brought an admission of what a great year they have had. I do not feel that the Supra is quite on par with the G, so having them nearly cost the same seems to make it an easy choice to go G. Disclaimer: I only crawled around it in the showroom, did not get to drive it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallredrider View Post

Yes and No. Some psychiatry is definitely involved in the whole discount off MSRP thing. I think the bottom line, is the bottom line. I cannot speak for the OP, but it seemed that a second trip the the Nautique dealer provided a better discount, and a second trip to the Supra dealer brought an admission of what a great year they have had. I do not feel that the Supra is quite on par with the G, so having them nearly cost the same seems to make it an easy choice to go G. Disclaimer: I only crawled around it in the showroom, did not get to drive it.
        I agree with this and also seemed like a no brainer after hearing the cost difference between the two boats.
        2009 Super Air Nautique 210 TE
        2006 Super Air Nautique 210 TE
        1989 Sport Nautique

Comment

I’ll add a couple of selling points for the G23. In floor hard side cooler (won’t ask people to get out of their seats to get a drink), hinged seat cushions so seats won’t fly out when trailering and a place to put cushions if not hinged and a full boat (not sure Supra has hinged seats), great fit and finish, one screen for gauges(one place for eyes to look), pebble watch integration. Regarding ballast pumps...G23 only has one pump per tank that intakes to fill and reverses to empty. So you only need to replace one pump per tank and easy to access in the middle of the boat. If Supra hs 2 per tank, then one pump fills and one pump empties. More stuff to fix and probably hard to access because you need to have room for 6 pumps. I bet you could not easily access all six pumps in 1 place. In the G23, it is much easier to access all 3 located in 1 location in the middle belly of the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

2016 G23

Comment

Not sure where you are getting your info, but the Sl has a in floor cooler, and hinged seats. As far as the pumps yes there are 6 they both fill and both empty so that it can fill and empty in about 5 1/2 minutes, master craft also does 6 pumps and they all fill and all empty.

Originally posted by sarasetp View Post
            I’ll add a couple of selling points for the G23. In floor hard side cooler (won’t ask people to get out of their seats to get a drink), hinged seat cushions so seats won’t fly out when trailering and a place to put cushions if not hinged and a full boat (not sure Supra has hinged seats), great fit and finish, one screen for gauges(one place for eyes to look), pebble watch integration. Regarding ballast pumps...G23 only has one pump per tank that intakes to fill and reverses to empty. So you only need to replace one pump per tank and easy to access in the middle of the boat. If Supra hs 2 per tank, then one pump fills and one pump empties. More stuff to fix and probably hard to access because you need to have room for 6 pumps. I bet you could not easily access all six pumps in 1 place. In the G23, it is much easier to access all 3 located in 1 location in the middle belly of the boat.

2016 G23

Comment

I'm prejudice of course, but I doubt you could find 10 objective people in the country to tell you to buy the Supra over the Nautique at that price difference.

Comment

Originally posted by 72Miles View Post
                I'm prejudice of course, but I doubt you could find 10 objective people in the country to tell you to buy the Supra over the Nautique at that price difference.
                Agree 100%

Comment

What kind of bath in depreciation do you think you’ll take in the Supra 3-4yrs from now?

hint: they do not depreciate anywhere close the same rate. Go on onlyinboards and see what a 2015 G sells for and then look at a 2015 Supra whatever
                  2019 G23 450
                  2014 G23 550
                  2013 G23 450
                  2011 Malibu Wakesetter 247
                  2007 Yamaha AR210

Comment

Originally posted by nyryan2001 View Post
                    What kind of bath in depreciation do you think you’ll take in the Supra 3-4yrs from now?

hint: they do not depreciate anywhere close the same rate. Go on onlyinboards and see what a 2015 G sells for and then look at a 2015 Supra whatever
                    I agree with NyRyan on this, but with one added qualification. It seems that most of the boat industry has moved towards the upper end. To take it back even farther, compare 2007 Nautique and 2007 Supra and those boats were not in the same ballpark when sold new. So comparing them now is not fair. It will be interesting to see in a few years what 2018 models compare like, and I am betting the G holds up better. I haven't followed Supra close enough to know if 2015 Supras sold for close to what a Nautique sold for, but I think it was less, so I expect current resale to be less too. Now we have Tige, Centurion, Supra, Malibu all trying the same price range, not far from Nautique. I talked to my local MC dealer and it seems they are running away with prize for most expensive boat.

Comment

I bought a 2019 Supra SL450 after all others were looked at. I feel it was the better boat for me. It gets delivered in late March/early April. I opt for a Feb build. I will chime in once I have spent some real time in it and let you all know. After jumping into all the manufacture's boats in the last 3 years and trying to keep an open mind. I was really impressed with Supra enough to pull the trigger on one.

Comment

What type of price range were you at?
                        2019 G23 450
                        2014 G23 550
                        2013 G23 450
                        2011 Malibu Wakesetter 247
                        2007 Yamaha AR210

Comment

Supras volume is less probably than half of Nautique therefore dealers are really able to manipulate the price around because they have no competition. Some dealers can’t even keep them on the lots and bring in enough, so obviously you aren’t going to be getting a huge discount price.

Comment

Msrp was 168k, pretty **** loaded, minus the 550 engine. If you build one on the site you can see that's pretty loaded down. Was down to 139,700K then asked for another 4,700 to get to 134k. With delivery charges, tax, dmv fees I got it for 150k out the door.

Comment

Lots of misinformation about the SL on this thread. I've surfed both the G23 and SL. For surf wave the G23 is great but not nearly as tunable as the SL. Stock vs stock I'd give power/push to the G23 but shape I'd give to the SL. Once you add about 500-1000lbs to the SL it's truly amazing. I've never once sat on the bolster of the SL when driving surfers so bow rise is not a problem at all. And as for resale, Supra keeps pace with Nautique. I just did a NADA search on 2017 G23 vs 2017 SG (23' boat that the SL replaced) and the percentage lost is almost identical (67% Supra vs 66% Nautique in retained value price) but actual dollars was more with the G23 because it's more money to start with.

I still think the OP made the right decision because the G23 was his "dream boat" and his relationship with the dealer but I think a lot of people would be surprised at what Supra has to offer these days if they took the time to demo the boats.

Comment

I am not familiar. What does the 67% and 66% mean. In two years you gonna lose 33% of what you paid?

Comment

Working...
                                X