Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What weight distributing hitch do you use (G23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What weight distributing hitch do you use (G23)

Hey all - I've got a 2015 g23 and boat mate trailer. I'm towing with a 2017 f150. I'm hoping someone has weighed the tongue weight etc with a similar setup and can recommend a WDH. I'm most interested in what you have had proven success with. Please share manufacture and model (links helpful). I usually gas up at marinas but would be good to see what others tow with all in. Thanks!

Call Boat Mate and ask for the specific trailer you are towing with. Most WDH's do not play nice with surge brakes (and your post is silent on what kind of brakes you have in any event).

https://www.etrailer.com/question-51522.html

Comment

You may want to read this post, there is a good discussion on this topic.
      https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/f...ries-nautiques

Comment

F 15 pulls the G fine no need for anything yes the f 250 does it better but going on a 200 mile trip I have done it with both with no issues and did not feel I had to use the f 250 for safety issues. I will pull faster with the 250 and if I was going through the mountains. I have friends that pull with yukons with no issues

Comment

And per Boatmate, if you have the swing away tongue, then WDH is NOT recommended. That assumes you deal with the surge brakes as jjackkrash mentioned.

Comment

Same from Ramlin, they strongly advice against WDH with swing away tongue

Comment

G25, triple axle Boatmate trailer with no swing away tongue, surge brakes, F150 ---- Equalizer WDH with a pole tongue adapter

I had to remove the bottom ladder step and mount the pole tongue adapter on the bottom side to get everything to line up correctly. Works great. Only downside is it will scratch through the trailer paint at the mount point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_36568.jpg
Views:	2768
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	518535
              Last edited by Bevostein; 04-25-2017, 09:43 AM.

Comment

@Bbevostein, that's a slick set up, nicely done.

Comment

Originally posted by Bevostein View Post
                  G25, triple axle Boatmate trailer with no swing away tongue, surge brakes, F150 ---- Equalizer WDH with a pole tongue adapter

I had to remove the bottom ladder step and mount the pole tongue adapter on the bottom side to get everything to line up correctly. Works great. Only downside is it will scratch through the trailer paint at the mount point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_36568.jpg
Views:	2768
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	518535
                  Bevostein - do you have a link? Thanks!

@all - is swing away mean you can unlock and tuck the tongue away to save space? If so my trailer has it. If boatmate doesn't recommend a WDH what is the alternative?

chris - I was towing with a 2016 f150 platinum and no WDH with no problem. I picked up a 2017 raptor and it rides higher and has a softer suspension. I am hoping if a WDH isn't an ooption it will be just as easy as the platinum.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Ray Wong View Post

@all - is swing away mean you can unlock and tuck the tongue away to save space? If so my trailer has it. If boatmate doesn't recommend a WDH what is the alternative?
                    A 3/4 ton with a properly rated hitch or towing while exceeding rated capacity.

Comment

With that Raptor you'll be towing illegally with or without a WDH.

Comment

Originally posted by Cpan13 View Post
                        With that Raptor you'll be towing illegally with or without a WDH.
                        the manual says it's rated for 12,000 with a WDH. Same as the Platinum. The raptor is all stock. Why is it illegal?

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Ray Wong View Post

the manual says it's rated for 12,000 with a WDH. Same as the Platinum. The raptor is all stock. Why is it illegal?
                          I would reread your manual. All the raptors I know have a 5000 lb limit without a WDH. The 2017 has a 12000 lb gross vehicle weight. That's the trailer and truck combined. The crew cab is a bit higher. With a WDH towed weight allowed is between 6000 and 8000 depending on model.

Comment

Originally posted by Sailfun View Post

I would reread your manual. All the raptors I know have a 5000 lb limit without a WDH. The 2017 has a 12000 lb gross vehicle weight. That's the trailer and truck combined. The crew cab is a bit higher. With a WDH towed weight allowed is between 6000 and 8000 depending on model.
                            ^^^^ THIS was my understanding, and downside of the Raptor.
                            from beyond 2014 X-46 2014 X-30 2013X-30 2006 X2

Comment

See page 24-28. Raptors always have a lower tow rating because of the suspension. Would love to have one but not at the sacrifice of the towing capacity. Keep in mind that's the requirement to be legal. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to use a Raptor to cautiously tow a G at reduced speeds a few miles from a storage area to the lake. However I wouldn't tow long distances at highway speed since it would be outside manufacturer recommendation and could open you up to liability if somethings happens. There are two considerations in my mind and those are what is the vehicle capable of and the risk of what is defensible in court if something happens.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_10_2016.pdf

The Equalizer hitch can be found here:

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X