No announcement yet.

G23 Prop Fell Off .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regardless of what it is, seems early adopters always have to work out the kinks.

Comment

The thread over on WakeWorld was deleted but now it has consumed a different thread. A young kid that "knows insiders in the industry" is stating that the G's may need a bigger shaft requiring a change to the transmission, moving the cooler due to this change and a possible hull tweak. Seems excessive but usually in these things, there is some truth in between. As much as this may be nothing to worry about, it is for someone who just had his 230 picked up and put a deposit down to order a G23.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...=795762&page=3

Comment

I posted over there asking if ANYONE could verify a single instance of this happening. I suspect that someone would have heard of it by now besides some rumors.

I don't have high hopes of getting 'here's a picture of xyz's boat that he got from superdupermarine of texarkana'.

Comment

I did some checking with some folks this weekend (a few different dealers and co. repos I know) and no one had heard of this actually happening. They actually didnt even know about the thread on Wakeworld.

Went ahead and put my order in for early March delivery.
          Current Nautique: 2013 G23
          Previous Nautiques: 2012 SANTE 230, 2011 SANTE 230, 2010 SANTE 210, 2006 SANTE 210

Comment

Well, my friend had our local dealer call the factory and ask directly.

They have had ONE total report of a drive shaft failure - they asked to examine it and it was lost in shipping, so they have no idea if it was a failure or some other thing (rock, etc).

Looks like it was trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by AllianceBJJ View Post
              I did some checking with some folks this weekend (a few different dealers and co. repos I know) and no one had heard of this actually happening. They actually didnt even know about the thread on Wakeworld.

Went ahead and put my order in for early March delivery.
              Did you order it through Buxton's? Mine is supose to be done at the factory tomorrow!!
              2016 G23 H6
              2014 G23 550
              2013 G23 450 (Great boat)
              2008 230 Team-ZR6- ACME 1235 ( back in a Nautique again)
              2005 Malibu LSV 23 wakesetter (Real Dumb Mistake)
              2000 SAN ( Loved that boat)
              1998 Air Nautique ( our first boat)

Comment

Originally posted by Laketexoma View Post
                Did you order it through Buxton's? Mine is supose to be done at the factory tomorrow!!
                No, both biggator and I are in the Atlanta area. We both ordered through Konrad at MarineMax in Buford, GA. Biggator's boat should be going in production any day now and I am still waiting on a production date as I ordered a few weeks after he did.

Congrats on yours! Please post pictures. What color combo did you go with?

Comment

Originally posted by Laketexoma View Post
                  Yeah I ordered through Buxton (Top Nautique Dealer this year by the way)...

They had 2 G23s and a G25 sitting around....

And there is pretty much nothing to this whole rumor. The dealers were in Orlando for sales training and a few asked about it...
                  Previous Nautiques: 2012 SANTE 230, 2011 SANTE 230, 2010 SANTE 210, 2006 SANTE 210

Comment

Just as a follow-up.. the troll kid admitted that he was basically spouting crap. He just (supposedly) demoed a G and was given the same info that our dealer gave us.. there is no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Nautiquehunter View Post
                      Pretty much everything regarding Nautique on WW is BS. They were also saying the transmissions were blowing on the Gs . WW is all about trying to convince people that MB,Axis and Sanger are just as good as Nautique for 1/2 the cost.
                      THIS IS NOT BS!!!, - Here you go for all you doubters, less than 8 hours on a new 2013 G25 with 550
                      Attached Files

Comment

I dont care if you have 2 hours on a boat, if you hit something, the shaft will break. It looks to me, it did it exactly as it was designed and sheered off to save the tranny...

With just a single post on this forum, you better have a little more data than just a pic. Sorry to pick on you if your a newbie to the site. We are all pretty passionate about our boats on here, and we need more data if your gonna go down this road.

SSTEXAN

Comment

Originally posted by Tabiggs View Post
                          THIS IS NOT BS!!!, - Here you go for all you doubters, less than 8 hours on a new 2013 G25 with 550
                          The BS part was that this was a widespread issue and a fundamental design problem with the G23 / G25. It was rumored that Nautique would have to change the whole design and layout of the transmission / driveshaft. It seems there are some reported cases, including yours. However, I am not sure that makes it a widespread problem. There are many with G's that have a lot of hours already without any issues. Unfortunately, this doesn't make you feel any better. Hopefully Nautique steps up and resolves your issue.

I had my drain plug T-handle break right off when removing it, however, other's aren't having a problem. Maybe the same batch of driveshafts were produced at the same place and time as my T-handle. No, I am not being serious.

What does make me question the above picture: why is there all that seaweed like debris wrapped around the driveshaft and its mount? Was a submerged object hit or did the prop bottom out in the lakebed?
                          Last edited by lion90; 04-08-2013, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Rudder looks straight and undamaged. It will be interesting to see if boat hit something or not. Wasn't the claim that it shears off without hitting anything?

But really I think this is more complicated. A prop should not break off from hitting just anything. Lot's of times you get a damaged prop because you hit something, the prop sustains damage and you move along with your damaged prop. It is possible that drive shaft is too small diameter for weight of boat.

I personally would like to know diameter of drive shaft across the nautique line and compared to other mfgrs. That would be helpful. It just seems to me it would need to be bigger for bigger boat.

Comment

Is the bottom of the hull damaged from the prop sheering off? If it was spinning when it came off I would think that it would have nailed the bottom of the boat and not fell straight down.

What has Nautique/your dealer had to say about this so far?

Not concerned with my G, but I would definitely like some more details on how this whole thing happened. Not doubting this is possible, but seems all everyone has ever done is showed a pic of a shaft with no prop, said my shaft broke, and then never have anything else to say.

Comment

Originally posted by lion90 View Post
                                The BS part was that this was a widespread issue and a fundamental design problem with the G23 / G25. It was rumored that Nautique would have to change the whole design and layout of the transmission / driveshaft. It seems there are some reported cases, including yours. However, I am not sure that makes it a widespread problem. There are many with G's that have a lot of hours already without any issues. Unfortunately, this doesn't make you feel any better. Hopefully Nautique steps up and resolves your issue.

I had my drain plug T-handle break right off when removing it, however, other's aren't having a problem. Maybe the same batch of driveshafts were produced at the same place and time as my T-handle. No, I am not being serious.

What does make me question the above picture: why is there all that seaweed like debris wrapped around the driveshaft and its mount? Was a submerged object hit or did the prop bottom out in the lakebed?

What does make me question the above picture: why is there all that seaweed like debris wrapped around the drive-shaft and its mount? Was a submerged object hit or did the prop bottom out in the lakebed?[/QUOTE]

Yes I am a newbie, and I was curious about other potential problems since this happened yesterday so I did a search on google and this topic came up. So I regestered to this site, never been on here before, that is true.

Here is some additional information

My dealership made house call to my lake house 2 weeks ago to check out the shaft, he didnt tell me why but said there were some issues with the boats made in 2012 that were model 2013. He went on to tell me that my boat had no issues and that the shaft was fine.

I can also tell you
                                All new G series that were manufactured in 2012 are being checked for shaft issues.
                                I did not hit anything, I know for a fact that I did not. There is no other damage to the boat that I can see, (hopefully), this was a clean break and appears that stainless alloy which the shaft is made failed, this all makes sense now based on the dealership information that they were checking for. You would also think if I hit something, I would have to hit the object extremely hard, and there would be other damage to the rudder or other impact evidence, A shaft should never break like this - props bend and shaft bend before this should happen, right? My opinion but this makes sense to me.

Here is Austin Texas, we have duck weed - debris - , its hydrilla type seaweed,- It has no effect on the integrity of the shaft or any of the 1000 wake board boats that are on this lake. It congregates in shallow water. I hate it but until they drain the lake, and we get out of this drought, we are stuck with this on Lake Austin.

I own the boat and the dealership has agreed to handle the problem. I received an email yesterday from the sales person that apoligized and agreed to handle the damages.

This is true and I not sure what else you need from me to prove there are shaft issues (my opinion) on some of the newer boats,, or that I own the boat, I really enjoy my G25, its been a fun boat so far. The only other issue I have had was a horrible belt squeaky noise that was horrible at low idle when I first took possession of the boat , The manufacturer issued a new bracket that goes in place of the old belt bracket, might be the belt to the alternator, I really don't know, but they were able to fix it.
                                do you want to see my sea tow receipt?

Comment

Working...
                                X