DIY Surf Gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Surf Gate

OK I know this has been talked about before, but the guys over on Mastercraft TeamTalk are working overtime on testing homemade gates they started with the skateramps and quickly graduated to suction cup based designs. Currently at 45 pages - check it out https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=70442

I'll be testing both a skateramps setup and a suction model on my Nautique by this weekend!

Interested in this as well. Will post my design ideas asap!
    Last edited by LJBuck; 05-18-2016, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Suction cup and scrap plywood worked great for me. Under $20.

Didnt want to velcro to the boat.

They sell the ronix wakeshaper for $1000 here in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by gmustangt View Post
        Suction cup and scrap plywood worked great for me. Under $20.

Didnt want to velcro to the boat.

They sell the ronix wakeshaper for $1000 here in Canada.

I made one too but haven't been able to water test it yet, Plan to this weekend.

IIRC we have the same hull, any tips/tricks on how best to attach? When I stick my suckgate on in the driveway there doesn't seem to be the strongest hold. But maybe I"m overthinking it.

Share some pics if you get a chance.
        19 SANTE 210
        08 SANTE 210 ZR6
        08 SANTE 230 ZR6
        04 Super Air 210 Team Edition Ex343- Loved that boat
        96 Sport Nautique GT-40 - First Nautique
        88 Baja Ski Sport- First boat

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2213[2].JPG
Views:	1319
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	487520
          Here is mine.
          19 SANTE 210
          08 SANTE 210 ZR6
          08 SANTE 230 ZR6
          04 Super Air 210 Team Edition Ex343- Loved that boat
          96 Sport Nautique GT-40 - First Nautique
          88 Baja Ski Sport- First boat

Comment

Originally posted by hondaprlud View Post

I made one too but haven't been able to water test it yet, Plan to this weekend.

IIRC we have the same hull, any tips/tricks on how best to attach? When I stick my suckgate on in the driveway there doesn't seem to be the strongest hold. But maybe I"m overthinking it.

Share some pics if you get a chance.
            If you have wax on your boat I could see it not sticking well. Also it is a good idea to push the suction cups down as much as you can and then flip the lever.
            I'm waiting on the mailman and I'll have some pics of mine on here as soon as he delivers.
            Last edited by LJBuck; 05-23-2016, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Here's my 8 bucks and 15 minutes of effort... Total knock off off one of the guys over at TT... blew out a pump impeller yesterday, so couldn't really test it, but with no ballast in the boat it certainly cleaned up one side. Try again this weekend with working ballast...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by crimedog View Post
                Here's my 8 bucks and 15 minutes of effort... Total knock off off one of the guys over at TT... blew out a pump impeller yesterday, so couldn't really test it, but with no ballast in the boat it certainly cleaned up one side. Try again this weekend with working ballast...

Crime dog,

that looks really good. How did you attach the wood to the Handle on Demand device? I can't see any exposed screws.
                2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

Comment

Kinda tough to see, but you take the cups off and screw the plastic into wood. Once I figure out how this works, I build a nicer one out of hdpe or some other material.

Last edited by crimedog; 05-24-2016, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks Crimedog. Was it difficult to get that screw screwed in there? I have my Handle on Demand on order from Amazon and I'm gonna try making one out of composite decking as that's available at Lowes. I would have to order HDPE.

Comment

Nope nothing to it. Once you get the HoD it'll make sense, but you push up on the cup, and there is a pin holding the handle on. When you get the pin out, the cup comes right off. Then I just traced the OD of the HoD on a scrap 1x8, and just jig sawed (poorly I might add) holes big enough for the handle to pass thru. Then drilled pilot holes and ran some screws thru the plastic into the wood. The tab is 6x8" with roughly a 15deg angle towards the back. The composite decking is a good, easy idea.

Comment

On mine you need to wiggle the cup a little as you flip the lever to get a good tight fit.

I originally had my suction cup fastened to the plywood , but later took the screws out.

So my suction cup and plywood are two seperate pieces not fastened together.

It's solid in place and not going anywhere.

Comment

crimedog,

So you used 1"X8" board to mount the HoD and for surf gate? Looking at the pic I assumed it was 1"X6".

Comment

Yep, just a scrap 1x8. the HoD is (if I remember) ~4.5" wide so a 1x6 would work, I just didn't have one laying around. Like gmustangt said, you can probably skip the screws holding the HoD to the wood, once you suction it to the boat it's not going anywhere. But I would definitely have a tether on it as an added insurance if it does come off the boat, it sure doesn't float.

Comment

It was much better with the suction cup seperated from the wood structure , easier to switch from side to side out on the water. More play in the system , when screwed together all one rigid piece you had to fight to get it on.
                              Also i put a piece of carpet on the face that touches the boat , to be easier on the hull.
                              I wrapped the carpet and screwed into the ends , but may take the screws out and PL it on.
                              Less screws the better IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X