Strap to lifting ring or platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strap to lifting ring or platform

I recently picked up our 2020 G21 with a BoatMate trailer and have a quick question.

If I strap the back down to the lifting rings the strap goes across the plastic NSS cover and I run the risk of cracking it.

If I strap the back down to the platform mounts I run the risk of cracking the weld and 1) not doing much good at hold the boat and 2) damaging the platform.

I don’t really like either option ... I’ve seen a number of them strapped to the platform and that’s how it was at the dealership.

With the weight of this boat, if the back end is lifting I’ve probably got bigger problems (LOL!), but what are your thoughts on where to strap it?

JS

You should strap to the platform brackets.

Remember, you wouldn't be lifting the boat this way. The max weight that setup would ever see would be the weight of the trailer.

Current Boats —> 2024 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2018 SAN 210 TE -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196 -- 2002 Ski Nautique -- 2001 Ski Nautique -- 2000 Sport Nautique -- 2000 Nautique Super Sport -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1996 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (Twin-Engine, 1 of 13) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4) -- 1980 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4)
    Former Boats —> 2023 Super Air Nautique G23 --
    2022 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2020 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2019 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2018 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2017 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2016 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2015 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2013 Super Air Nautique G232012 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2011 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2010 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2008 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2007 Air Nautique 236 Team Edition -- 2007 Air Nautique SV-211 -- 2005 SV-211 -- 2003 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition -- 2003 Air Nautique 226 -- 2003 Sport Nautique 216 -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196-- 2001 Sport Nautique -- 2001 Ski Nautique --1999 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1999 Air Tique 176 -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1994 Ski Nautique -- 1993 Barefoot Nautique -- 1983 Fish Nautique (TWIN ENGINE, 1 of 4) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (SINGLE ENGINE)

Need something for your boat? Please check out our site sponsors! Not only do they offer the best products available, they also support this site.
    NautiqueParts.com - Roswell Marine - Phoenix Trailers - SkiSafe - PCM Marine Engines - PerfectPass - C&S Marine - OJ Propellers - WakeMakers -- Swell Wakesurf

Comment

I don't have an answer but I've wondered the same. Mine came with rope tied from the trailer to the platform. It was a bit comical but it was a used boat when I bought it. I was fortunate with mine and was able to install the mounting brackets Boat Buckle offers which moved the tie downs about 2" further back and managed to just get by my NCRS.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, guys!
        JS

Comment

FWIW, I have a 2008 206. Have been attaching the back straps to the platform brackets since new, and no issues. Jeff is correct that you would only ever be lifting the weight of the trailer.

Comment

Good to know...thanks! I know dang well that plastic cover would crack at some point, if nothing else then from tightening the strap a little too much.

Originally posted by CincinnatiCC View Post
            FWIW, I have a 2008 206. Have been attaching the back straps to the platform brackets since new, and no issues. Jeff is correct that you would only ever be lifting the weight of the trailer.

Comment

Funny, we picked up our '07 211 last week, and I wondered the same thing. The previous owner only towed a few miles round trip, so he never strapped it down. We went to the platform brackets, so it's good to get a little confirmation.

Comment

I’m still worried about breaking the weld on the platform bracket, but the chances of that are a lot lower than cracking the plastic NSS cover. If you really need the straps to work, aka in an accident, I’m just concerned that the weld breaks and the back end of the boat goes flying, but I hope that never happens and I’m worried about way more things than the boat at that point.

There would be acceleration involved in addition to just the mass of the trailer or boat. F = mA!

But I agree that the best option is to hook to the platform bracket for 99.9% of the time so thats what I’m going to do.

Comment

funny when i picked up my 21 GS24 i asked my dealer this very questions. Shouldn't i connect to rings vs platform? And they said for over 20 years they have never attached straps to rings - always to the platform - nuff said - i now do what they told me

Comment

The old answer from dealers is you do not need to tie them down which is why they do not have tie down rings or even come with straps (mine did not). Sounds like the tune has changed? If CC recommends tie downs, wish they had official tie downs. I attach to the platform bracket. Only downside I’ve seen is it pulls the platform tight which makes removal a little more difficult (I have to remove for storage)
                    2007 SV211 SE
                    Tow Vehicle 2019 Tundra
                    Dealer: www.Whitelake.com

Comment

So being older the above used to be the norm for straight inboards. I didn't tie my first 3 boats down and never had an issue but all 3 were straight inboards. These days you'd take about the same grief as not wearing a mask to a Biden rally (if there were anyone actually there) for not strapping down. I've progressed over the years to tying the boat down on trips longer then X or if I knew I was going to be in traffic. Then as the boats got bigger and looked more like I/Os I broke down, installed Boat Buddies on the last 2 boarts and just strap down as part of the towing ritual. It certainly does make a difference on these vDrives.

I will say strapping down to something that isn't made for that purpose is jankie at best. I mean you have this $150K boat and you tie it down to the platform? Why not just go full Juthro Bodine ( I know this will miss some of you younger kids that didn't seen the Beverly Hillbillies) and get one of those big straps they used to sell that goes over the middle of the boat while you're at it? I got lucky with mine and the boat buckle extensions did the trick. Honestly, I'd have something fabricated so I could attach to the lifting ring rather than the platform brackets if it were mine. But that's me. I'm just surprised neither the boat or trailer manufacturer haven't figured this one out.

Comment

Originally posted by SkiTower View Post
                        The old answer from dealers is you do not need to tie them down which is why they do not have tie down rings or even come with straps (mine did not). Sounds like the tune has changed?
                        In MN, you'll get a ticket if you're not tied down. It happened to a friend of mine.

Comment

Working...
                        X