Trailer Light Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Light Question

I have a 2007 EZ Loader Trailer with LED lights. The wiring harness is the flat 5 so I use a flat 5 to round 7 adapter. I tow about an hour to the lake. When I get to the lake, should I disconnect the lights from the truck before I put the boat in the water? Does it hurt the lights on the trailer to be on and under water?

Originally posted by Nautique Fan View Post
    I have a 2007 EZ Loader Trailer with LED lights. The wiring harness is the flat 5 so I use a flat 5 to round 7 adapter. I tow about an hour to the lake. When I get to the lake, should I disconnect the lights from the truck before I put the boat in the water? Does it hurt the lights on the trailer to be on and under water?
    Not anymore with LEDs. This plan to disconnect the lights came from when trailer lights were incandescent and open at the bottom to drain water. As you were backing down the ramp, the bulbs would get hot and when they hit the cold water it would usually shatter them.

This isn't a problem with LEDs.

-Charles

Comment

All the lights should be sealed so, there shouldn't any problem dunking them. I think most people don't unhook their trailer lights when launching.

Comment

Great. I'll stop unplugging them.

Comment

Since you have a 236, you more than likely have surge brakes on your axles. If you disconnect your lights, your trailer should lock up the brakes making it unable to backup. There is a lockout solenoid that makes it able to reverse but it must be connected to your vehicle. On my trailer, I have to remove my trailer safety chains and place them so the tongue cannot compress and allow the brakes to engage. I have a 2007 as well, so my guess is you have a similar setup. Good Luck!

SSTEXAN

Comment

You are right about the surge brakes. The ramp at the lake is pretty flat and I haven't had the brakes lock up yet backing down thankfully.

Because I use a 5 flat to 7 round adapter, is there any reason to unplug that. I have to back pretty far down into the water since the ramp isn't very steep. The adapter sometimes gets wet.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

If you have disc brakes on both axles, the trailer should be very difficult to move in reverse without the solenoid releasing the brakes. You might want to get your brakes checked out as well. Backing the trailer up a hill should be a nightmare as well without the solenoid to release the brakes due to weight of the boat and trailer working against the tow vehicle. It will compress the surge assembly and make it difficult/impossible to move. I keep everything hooked up all the time, with no issues. LED's are the only way to go on trailers. I have yet to have a light go out in 7+ years.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The trailer does have disc surge brakes but I though they would only lock up if I was backing up a hill and the lights were disconnected. Are you saying that if they are working right they would also lock up if the lights were disconnected and I was backing down the ramp? If that is the case I will definitely have them checked out.

Comment

No, I may of kind of misspoke here. The brakes will only engage on a surge system if the surge brakes compress. While backing DOWN a hill they will not compress, hence you have to be careful not to take the entire vehicle in the water with you while backing. On flat land or up hills it will become a problem to move the trailer without the lights hooked up. Going downhill in reverse your trailer brakes will not engage at all with a surge system. Hope that clears it up.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I got the boat last year and I always think about servicing the boat but your advice on checking the trailer brakes is spot on.

Comment

Working...
                    X