Tower speakers - Wetsounds Rev 8 vs JL 7.7 M6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tower speakers - Wetsounds Rev 8 vs JL 7.7 M6

I'm ordering a new GS22 and have always used Wetsounds for my tower for the past 10 years with my 2018 having a pair of the Rev 8's on it. I really liked the sound of the Rev 8's and they were less expensive than the JL Nautique has been using. It appears Wetsounds has had a dramatic price increase so the price difference is no longer there. With that being said, maybe going with JL would be just fine. Any experience between the 2? Thanks
    '18 SAN 210 Reef Blue/Admiral Blue Metal Flake
    '12 SAN 210 TE Black/Masters Blue
    '09 SAN 210 TE Black/Fury Red
    '08 Air 216 TE
    '02 Air 216
    '98 Sport Nautique
    '89 MC Prostar 190

I had Rev 8s on my old boat and JL 8.8s on this boat. The Wet Sounds were great but so are the JLs and IMO they look better. Just my opinion here. I do think you'd need to go to the 8.8s to meet the Rev 8 performance but I have nothing technical to back that up.

Comment

I demo'd a M240 as well as the G23 and P23 and can tell you that both the wetsounds on the M240 and the JL on the Nautiques are LOUD, the JL sounds better. It is just a higher quality sound.

Comment

I have to ask, why are you comparing an 8" horn loaded compression driver to a nearly 8" dome tweeter coaxial? If you like the sound quality of the Rev-8, then the JL 7.7 is going to not be "bright" enough for your taste.

On the cost side of the debate, the Wet Sounds Icon-8 is what you need to be comparing with the JL. The Icon is a dome tweeter coaxial, same as the JL, just slightly larger mid-bass woofer.

Comment

Post edited to remove unnecessary quote. See Quote Guidelines <-- here.

Well I guess I would say I’m comparing them because they are “tower” speakers and I do t really know anything about the difference. I just want tower speakers that sound good while I’m surfing.
          '08 Air 216 TE
          '02 Air 216
          '98 Sport Nautique
          '89 MC Prostar 190

Comment

Comparing an HLCD to a dome tweeter coaxial is like comparing a Chevy Silverado 2500HD to a Cadillac CT5. Both are great in their own right, but both are intended for a purpose. You cant tow the boat with the CT5 and the 2500HD is less then ideal for a cross country family trip.

Id want to compare the Icon-8 to the 7.7, but the 8" may have a slight advantage as its just a little larger, like the JL 8.8. Also, since JL is the OEM supplier to CC, I do not know if they offer a tower pod to tower adapter. So your cost comparison might be from your Nautique dealer for the OEM JL, rather then regular consumer level retail. Wet Sounds offer an adaptor for their pod to tower.

Comment

MLA
              You are obviously much more knowledgable on this topic than I am. In talking with my dealer he said if I go with JL I need to go with the 8.8. With that being said, can you put in layman's terms what the difference in sound would be? I've always thought the Westsounds Rev 8's sounded just fine behind the boat but maybe I've been missing out??

Unfortunately it's too cold to listen to them in real world scenario now.
              '08 Air 216 TE
              '02 Air 216
              '98 Sport Nautique
              '89 MC Prostar 190

Comment

Someone can correct me if i am wrong, but I think the easiest way to put this is the Rev's are going to project sound farther behind the boat, while still sounding pretty dang good. The JL's will not project sound as far behind the boat, but they might sound a little better. I think its personal preference on the sound quality, as i think both sounds **** good.

I personally have 2 Rev 10's on my 05, and I think they sound great, plus they project the sound really far. I always end up being the DJ at the the sand bar. I also always get complements that my system sounds great. If I had all JL speakers I'm sure it would sound just as great, but the boats 80' away my not be jamming to my tunes the same as they are now.

Comment

I agree, id want the larger 8" JL 8.8 or Wet Sounds Icon-8 over the smaller 7'ish 7.7.

The Rev is horn loaded compression drive tweeter compared to the Icon and 8.8/7.7 using a traditional dome tweeter. The difference is in it power handling and output. The HLCD handles WAY more wattage then the dome tweeter and has a more narrowed focus of projection. This makes it more geared toward wake range projection. A dome tweeter has a wider dispersion and is better suited for more near field listening, like surfing and party cove.

Typically, there is a trade off in sound quality with an HLCD v's a dome tweeter. This does not mean a speaker like the Rev sounds bad, just means that comparing an 8" HLCD to an 8" dome tweeter speaker, the dome tweeter is going to usually sound better close in. This is where the larger HLCDs, like the Rev-10 and Kicker 9" and 11", become more of an exception to the rule. The larger mid-bass drivers offer more and deeper mid-bass that better balances the aggressive compression tweeter and yield a better near field sound quality.

So when someone wants a surf/part cove setup, I would typically suggest the 8" coaxial over an 8" HLCD. If budget and fitment are not an issue, then we consider the larger HLCD like the 9, 10 or 11 inch HLCD even for surf or party cove.

Comment

Thanks!!
                    '08 Air 216 TE
                    '02 Air 216
                    '98 Sport Nautique
                    '89 MC Prostar 190

Comment

Working...
                    X