Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS20/22's How hard/expensive is it to recreate premier level aftermarket stereo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GS20/22's How hard/expensive is it to recreate premier level aftermarket stereo?

I've been looking at some used GS20s/GS22s and I've found some nice boats listed but several seem to be saddled with the base level stereo plus a pair of tower speakers. How good is the base stereo in the 2017 and 2018s and how hard is it to upgrade to a sub and bow speakers aftermarket?

Thanks

Not hard and the good part is it only takes money.
    2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

Comment

I upgraded the stereo in my '17 GS20. It had the polk head unit and just the normal speakers with 1 set of tower speakers. I had the dealer install the JL head unit, another amp, 1 subwoofer, and the bow speakers (all factory JL bits). It became essentially the premier package. IIRC I paid about $1500 installed.

Comment

Thanks for the replies

Comment

Originally posted by kylant View Post
          I upgraded the stereo in my '17 GS20. It had the polk head unit and just the normal speakers with 1 set of tower speakers. I had the dealer install the JL head unit, another amp, 1 subwoofer, and the bow speakers (all factory JL bits). It became essentially the premier package. IIRC I paid about $1500 installed.
          On a 2017 that was a good way to go. The Polk PA4A headunit was pretty bad.

Comment

Originally posted by kylant View Post
            That there was a smoking deal if they used all JL gear. Depending on what JL gear they used they basically had $1500 in parts. Sonic has the Media Master at $400, a M400/4 at $520, a base 10" Sub at $260 and best I can find 6.5" speakers anywhere is about $250 a pair.

Find out who did this installation and use them. That is a great deal.

If I were doing a rip and replace I'd have $2K minimum into the system above including time and materials and that would be without tower speakers.

Comment

I got a smoking deal on my system, but don't know if it is repeatable. I took me about 2 months of working them over, but well worth it. I got the Below for $1950 Shipped.

1 Pair Rev10 Fixed Clamp Tower Speakers w/ LED Kit
              3 Pair Revo6 6.5" In Boats
              1 WS-420 EQ

I installed everything myself, and bought the amps and sub separately.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesml3 View Post

On a 2017 that was a good way to go. The Polk PA4A headunit was pretty bad.
                Not trying to hijack this thread, but what is it about the Polk HU that everyone hates so much? I have the Polk and my only complaint is that the buttons seem a little slow to respond sometimes.
                2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

Comment

Originally posted by Evening Shade View Post

Not trying to hijack this thread, but what is it about the Polk HU that everyone hates so much? I have the Polk and my only complaint is that the buttons seem a little slow to respond sometimes.
                  On the 2017 Nautique went with the PA4A and the big problem with it was the Bluetooth. It worked, but it was very "fragile." If you were playing music and a call came in on your phone, the Bluetooth audio would rarely reconnect after the call. You had to power the headunit down and back up to get it to reconnect. Then there were times it would just randomly disconnect and refuse to reconnect without a power-cycle. I found that putting my phone into "Do Not Disturb" mode helped some.

-Charles

Comment

Originally posted by Evening Shade View Post

I have a 2016 with the clarion (not really too sure what model I have) but so far what I have has been working well. My beef, if any is the controls and the quality of display. If I do swap out the head unit things will get a bit dicey trying to find something to replace it as the current system has what is basically a remote at the dash and the actual head unit located under the passenger side dash. The other issue is the cut out in the dash which doesn't seem to be any standard size. Looks like there's 2 ways to go with either a standalone head unit which would require creating a harness and extending inputs to the amp location (not going to happen) or basically the same thing I have now with the upgraded remote, if it will fit in the existing opening. The trouble with the later also being cost. Looks like about $500 is the entry to get something nice. That's just not going to be a priory this season unless I can find something someone else is removing and buy it used.

For right now the Clarion is doing the job and will stay.

Comment

Originally posted by bturner View Post

For right now the Clarion is doing the job and will stay.
                      On the 2016 it was the PA450UM which is a pretty good headunit. I wouldn't be in a huge hurry to change that one out.

-Charles

Comment

Agreed, lots of other stuff I'd rather have before going with another head unit.

Comment

What model amps and speakers are include with the 2019 GS22 premier sounds system?

Comment

Working...
                          X