Roswell Nightwave underwater LED's on 2017 GS 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roswell Nightwave underwater LED's on 2017 GS 20

Got my new Roswell's in this past week and was able to get them installed. I still have to hook them to the power, but here is the install info up to that point.

The rear compartments and engine compartment in the GS are a little tight for space. Be sure to pull out the panels so you can access the transom area. The little pice between the transom and first support rail is screwed in through the rail. Sorry, no pics of this but remove the center panel and look in the rail. You will see 3 holes there and there are 3 ea phillips skews securing that little back panel in place.

Once you have access all opened up, cut the zip ties holding the water hose in place and the wires in place low on the Port side. This will give you some room to work.

*Note, I wanted to go a little wider with the placement, but the internal build out was too thick and difficult to access, so I moved them a little closer to the middle of the engine compartment.

Facing the engine, the wire bundles are tucked up in each corner. There is a blue and black wire with butt connectors already in place ready for the transom lights and control through your linc display.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8906.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	561112

Name:	IMG_8913.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	561119

Name:	IMG_8908.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	561118

Here are the zip ties to cut to free up the wires and hose so you have room to work.

Name:	IMG_8911.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	561124

There are 2 on the water hose and 1 around the base of the wire bundle and secured to the hose. This will let you move all so you can drill.

Name:	IMG_8912.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	561125

For exterior placement, I was in and out of the boat several times trying to get as low and wide as I could without running into things. Greatest concern was the Port side. Starboard is wide open and easy to match placement.

Name:	IMG_8903.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	561113 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8915.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	561121

I ended up 8" down from the edge of the black gel coat and 8" over from the swim deck bracket to the center hole. I tested location with a 1/8" drill bit and then once all was confirmed drilled out with a 5/16" drill bit. All was masked and I ran the bits in reverse going through the gelcoat. Once done I used a dremel stone one the edges to taper the gel coat and hopefully keep it from cracking over time. (all per the instructions from Roswell).

*Note - I did test the lights with a 9v battery prior to doing anything to ensure all were working.

I matched light placement on the Starboard side.

Name:	IMG_8915.jpg
Views:	602
ID:	561126 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8916.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	561120

Once done and cleaned up, I grabbed some extra hands and got some help applying a 1/4" bead of marine sealant/adhesive (3M quick dry) around the back of the lights and the mounting bolts. I fed the wires in, applied the sealant, and then let the extra hands put in place and hold while I tightened the nuts on the inside. The trick (per instructions) is get just tight enough to seal the light, but not compress all to the hull of the boat. Once the silicone cures, then tighten so it forms a gasket between the light and hull and keeps the light riding just off the hull.

Name:	IMG_8917.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	561127

I will continue with some additional pics once I get tightened down and connected to power.

Attached Files

great, thanks!
    good to see the wiring is already there. my boat is getting factory lights done when it goes in for the 25 hour service. your boat may be my boats twin based on transom coloring. black with reef blue flake stripe?

Comment

I was quoted 2 hours of work to have the dealer do the work and install factory lights. One dealer was at $900 and the other dealer was at $1200.

Sounds like we have the same colors going....

Name:	IMG_8442.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	561374

Comment

Finished product...

Name:	IMG_8931.jpg
Views:	618
ID:	561378

Name:	IMG_8932.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	561379

Name:	IMG_8933.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	561380

Comment

Originally posted by Millerda68 View Post
          I was quoted 2 hours of work to have the dealer do the work and install factory lights. One dealer was at $900 and the other dealer was at $1200.

Sounds like we have the same colors going....

Name:	IMG_8442.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	561374
          our boats are indeed twins!
          I purchased the lights as an add on when I bought the boat. they will get done along with the stereo upgrade in a couple of weeks

Comment

Good write up. How bright are these compared to stock?

Comment

I am not finding the lumens for the regular Attwood LED's, but the Roswell's are 3000+ lumens per light. The Attwood HPX series was 5,000 Lumens per 12 LED light (these have same look as factory, just higher output).

Comment

Cant use lemens to compare different brand lights, so dont worry about not finding that spec for the OEM. Current draw is more reliable.

Comment

Then the draw information I was able to find is as follows -
                  Roswell - 1.99 amps
                  Attwood 12 LED HP - 1.7
                  Attwood 12 LED HPX - 3.23

Websites -
                  https://www.roswellmarine.com/product/nightwave/

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/p...t-armor-series

Hopefully that helps a bit.

The Attwood's can be found on Amazon as well, but the posts there are lacking some of the specs.

Comment

Do our boats have the HP or the HPX? What is the stock current draw?
                    Last edited by thejean; 07-31-2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

I don't know the answer to that question. My guess is they have the HP. The attwood link above has the draws for both one and two lights.

Comment

Great review. How brilliant are these contrasted with stock?

Last edited by steyn524; 01-26-2019, 03:01 AM.

Comment

I have the links above to the website for each and the lumens information is there. About 5,500 for the Attwood HPX and about 6,000 for the Roswell's. I have not had my boat side by side with another Nautique to really see the difference between the two. Seems like they are fairly similar per the specs.

Comment

Liquid Lumens makes some nice underwater and stern platform lighting as well . You may want to research this company as well.

https://www.liquidlumens.com/product...rwater-lights/

Comment

Unfortunately, you cant use advertised lumens to compare one brand to another. Too many variables, no standard of measuring.

Comment

Working...
                              X