Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using Multiple EQ's? (equalizers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using Multiple EQ's? (equalizers)

I am considering selling one of my Pro 485's and mounting a couple of surf speakers. The best way I can figure out to control in boats, a sub, a 485, and surf speakers and have any tone control is to maybe used a stacked set of EQ's. That would give me a fader on the eq for the tower to adjust which speakers are being used. I know wet sounds has the new 4 zone 220, but it's zone controls only without any tone adjustments. Anyone tried this.. or have a solution? I considered also one EQ and then a pair of the kicker controllers... Is there any scenario that is more likely, or less so to have noise?

So you have a pair of pro-485? What "surf" speakers are you looking to add and in hopes of what? I dont see why the WS-420SQ/BT would not work for you. Im not understanding the need to split a tower package into to two volume/EQ zones.

Comment

I do have two pro 485's now. I was thinking about moving one to the center and hanging a set of km8s or icons. The tower has a dedicated syn4 amplifier, so I would have to run the surf speakers stereo due to impedance. I was thinking a pair of Clarion EQS's, one would be for the in boats and sub. The second for the tower only, which would allow me to have a master volume and a fader on the tower. It would be nice to have the ability to fade from the 485 to the coax's to take the horn out of play when I'm surfing.

I actually have an older 420 now (not installed currently,) and I suppose that I could do a passive fade after the ws420. I removed the 420 because of a past noise issue, but disassembled it, cleaned some corrosion, and could try to reinstall it to see if the noise is still present.
      Last edited by Tmosely1; 06-15-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

With a Syn-4, you can run 2 chnl stereo or 8 ohm bridged to the new+ pair of pods, makes little difference as either route nets you the same wattage.

Neither here nor there, what is your goal by removing a pod with dual 8" mid-bass drivers and a large tweeter for a pair of 8" mid-bass drivers each with a 1" tweeter.

The second for the tower only,
        How is this different from a single WS-420? Even though the clarion eq has "fade" for volume, the EQ is a single EQ and attenuates both zones. So in your scenario, you would be adjusting the existing 485 and surf pods just the same. If tonal control that individual between the pro-485 and what ever else, dual clarion EQs will not do it.

So im back to my original questions, what are you trying to accomplish with tossing one 485 in place of a pair of 8" coaxial as well as having different tonal control over them?

Comment

I would like to be able to listen to music while surfing without it projecting all the way across the lake. Don't get me wrong... The 485s are amazing... But I would like to be able to fade them out and use a speaker that's a little better for listening at the 25ft distance.

As to the 420... I never considered it till this discussion, but I guess I could use the front output for 1&2 in stereo on a set of coax and then the tower output to the bridged 3&4 on the 485. That would give me tone and volume control on the tower.... I'm trying to have four separate zones and still have tone controls (Surf, wake, in boat, and subwoofer)

Comment

I would like to be able to listen to music while surfing without it projecting all the way across the lake.
            See, thats the real challenge. We cant just make the music stop after a certain distance, other than use the volume dial. If the pair of 8" coaxials are turned up loud enough for you to hear them surfing, I guarantee they are projecting across the lake, just like the pair of 485's would at the same volume. Its not so much that a coaxial tweeter does not protect far, its that it just disperses at a greater rate then a HLCD. Much wider cone of coverage from a dome tweeter, but they still project across a flat lake. The narrower cone of focus we get from the horn flair of the HLCD makes them more ideal for the wake range projection.

Comment

Tmosely1,
              I'm going to make a suggestion. Keep both Wetsounds 485s. They don't do too little...they only do too much in certain aspects. That you can work with. With the right equalization you can make this particular pair of speakers be anything you want them to be....not something that can be said with other speakers. The right equalization specific to the tower should be a hideaway DSP. You would have both infinite and finite control, plus you can have multiple EQ memories, such as, 1) near field at rest at low volume, 2) surf, and 3) wake, by simply toggling through the 1, 2, 3 & 4 memory settings.

Comment

Working...
              X