No announcement yet.

Adding (2) additional tower speakers to the JL-M Series Elite Speaker Prep Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding (2) additional tower speakers to the JL-M Series Elite Speaker Prep Kit

Currently I have (2) 7.7 JL-M Audio tower speakers on my 2017 G23. The speaker prep kit I ordered on the boat is a JL- M Series Elite pre-wired 4 channel amplifier. I was thinking off adding 2 more 7.7 JL-M Audio tower speakers. I was wondering if this speaker prep kit had the wiring within the tower to add the additional 2 speakers or whether the wiring for these additional speakers would have to be rewired through the tower. I opened the tower rubber stop holes for the additional speaker locations to see if I could see additional wiring for (2) more speakers but I did not run across any. Can anyone verify whether the additional wiring is already in place if I were to add 2 more speakers (speaker prep kit in place is called JL-M Series Elite)?
    Last edited by GMLIII; 05-21-2017, 03:08 PM.

I did this last year with my 2016 g23 that only had two 8.8 from factory. When I pulled rubber plugs in tower, speaker wire was attached to them without a connector. I ordered matching connectors on amazon and installed speakers and plugged them in. Next , had to remove the panel board that held my amp. Behind it was the speakers wires that I just connected to new speakers. They had to be installed then in the amp. They work perfect, no issues.
    2016 G23

Comment

Originally posted by GMLIII

Sent from my iPad using PLT Nautique
      So the wire was located under both rubber plugs and all you had to do was to install the connectors you purchased on Amazon? After you installed the additional speakers did they really make a sound difference and did your amp have enough power to support the addition of the 2 speakers?

Sent from my iPad using PLT Nautique

Comment

the wires were attached to the rubber plugs with a string. yes they sound good. twice as good. my amp is the bigger one made for 4 speakers.
        2016 G23

Comment

Can you share the connector details - link. Was this the same connector used in the stock JL config?

Thanks!

Comment

Deutsch DT series 4 pin.... style terminals 16-20 awg

X000W2Q47F

Thats what the package said. Came with four connector ends (only used two because the new speakers had ends on them) and appropriate pins.
            2016 G23

Comment

Great thanks for the detailed information

Comment

Originally posted by Whitetail15 View Post
                Deutsch DT series 4 pin.... style terminals 16-20 awg

X000W2Q47F

Thats what the package said. Came with four connector ends (only used two because the new speakers had ends on them) and appropriate pins.
                Are these the ones you purchased from Amazon? The reason I asked is becuase it didn't say it came with multiple connectors eventhough that may be the case. Did you purchase the crimping tool as well or will basic plyers do the job to secure the wiring to the connectors? Click image for larger version  Name:	71yR1+ZPqjL._SL1500_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	22.6 KB ID:	521907
                Last edited by GMLIII; 05-22-2017, 08:54 AM.

Comment

that is what i ordered. I made a tool to crimp them properly. you are correct
                  2016 G23

Comment

I was looking at my speaker connections the other day and it looked like the two tower speakers I have now each have 4 wires running to them. What are the two extra wires for?

Comment

for speakers with lights
                      2016 G23

Comment

Working...
                      X