Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Travis…

Saying a sad goodbye to North Carolina and
    relocating to the Lake Travis area in Austin at the end of the month. I was wondering if there are any details to look for, what should I avoid, good ramp locations, restaurants on the lake to visit, rules of the lake, fun things for the kiddos to do, etc.

One thing to note about Travis....in any given summer, the water levels can and will get so low that they close most to ALL boat ramps. Alot of boats will trailer down to Lake Austin..but makes for a crowed lake/river in the summer. Others can probably chime in on what the good restaurants are...as I haven't been out on Travis in awhile. Welcome to Texas though!!!

Comment

That’s good to know, especially since it’s been so hot and dry lately

Comment

It's been a very wet year here in Austin so no worries with lake levels. The Gnarly Gar and Shack 512 are my favorite place on Lake Travis. Up by Pace Bend State Park is the mouth of the Pedernales River which has the smoothest water on the lake. There are plenty of coves to anchor up....my favorite is Angel Bay up by Thurman Bend. There is a cliff face directly across the lake from there that has smooth water most of the time. There aren't many areas where you'll hit bottom out of nowhere. Just be mindful of the river bends and the low water markers.

Comment

I believe our place will be right across from Pace Bend Park. I've also been hearing a lot of good things about The Gnarly Gar. By the way, where can I re-register the boat and trailer?

Comment

Trailers go through the county tax office. Boats go through Texas Parks and Wildlife.

Comment

Thanks… Maybe we can all meet up soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's not "local" to Austin, but DFW and Lake Ray Hubbard is only like 3-4 hour drive north for the Regatta next month if you want to meet a ton of Nautique owners.

Comment

Welcome to town! I've been here since '96.

best lake-struants are the Gnar, shack 512, sundancer grill and rough hollow grill, those are sort of in order of most casual to nicest.

If you are across the lake from pace bend then you are on the North shore, there are less public ramps there. BUT, there are many private ramps, neighborhood ramps etc. Deepest ramp is at the dam (Mansfield dam park) you will one dollar per person and 10 for a trailer (boat on it or not).

Lake levels fluctuate, hasnt been as big of swing the past several years but i have seen LT 60' low nearly. its a WHOLE different lake at those levels.

the first 15 miles of the river (from the dam to up stream) is where most of the rentals and idiots are. Devils cover is the party cover, its at MM7. Get a lake map, familiarize yourself with the topography well, really well. LT is a flooded river, so cliff shore is typically safer depths than deposit banks.

any other questions PM me. I went to LTHS and now own and operate a marine sales and audio shop near hudson bend. Sorry you had to close on a house during this crazy *** real estate market.

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                    It's not "local" to Austin, but DFW and Lake Ray Hubbard is only like 3-4 hour drive north for the Regatta next month if you want to meet a ton of Nautique owners.
                    Sounds like fun but with all the unpacking I’ll be doing next month, I’m not sure the wife will approve. But I’ll start buttering her up from now

Comment

Originally posted by distinguishedmotorsports View Post
                      Welcome to town! I've been here since '96.

best lake-struants are the Gnar, shack 512, sundancer grill and rough hollow grill, those are sort of in order of most casual to nicest.

If you are across the lake from pace bend then you are on the North shore, there are less public ramps there. BUT, there are many private ramps, neighborhood ramps etc. Deepest ramp is at the dam (Mansfield dam park) you will one dollar per person and 10 for a trailer (boat on it or not).

Lake levels fluctuate, hasnt been as big of swing the past several years but i have seen LT 60' low nearly. its a WHOLE different lake at those levels.

the first 15 miles of the river (from the dam to up stream) is where most of the rentals and idiots are. Devils cover is the party cover, its at MM7. Get a lake map, familiarize yourself with the topography well, really well. LT is a flooded river, so cliff shore is typically safer depths than deposit banks.

any other questions PM me. I went to LTHS and now own and operate a marine sales and audio shop near hudson bend. Sorry you had to close on a house during this crazy *** real estate market.
                      Can’t wait to hit up your store in person. By the way, I lucked out with my neighborhood because it has a private ramp. No more 45 minute drives to the lake and I don’t feel too bad about the Hoa fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy View Post

Can’t wait to hit up your store in person. By the way, I lucked out with my neighborhood because it has a private ramp. No more 45 minute drives to the lake and I don’t feel too bad about the Hoa fees.

Come over whenever, more of a shop than a retail store front but I can show you the ropes of LT no problem! Yes, sounds like you have one of the HOAs that does some good, and not one of the ones that takes money and sucks. Welcome to Austin.

Comment

Working...
                        X