ICW In North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICW In North Carolina

My wife asked me this question and I really didn’t know how to answer, so I decided to post it here. I was wondering if anyone here has ever thought about wake boarding or even traveling on the ICW in North Carolina. Is it safe traveling from the mainland to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We have a 99 sport and I’m not sure how effective it would be going down the ICW or even out to the Outer Banks. I’d like to know your thoughts on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many folks wakeboard and wakesurf in the ICW. Some sections are more prone to significant weather related wave size than others. You definitely could run into waves that would be dangerous for a low freeboard ski boat. Just watch the weather closely in certain sections. Some sections are narrow enough that it is challenging to ride safely on a busy day.

Comment

Originally posted by vision View Post
      Many folks wakeboard and wakesurf in the ICW. Some sections are more prone to significant weather related wave size than others. You definitely could run into waves that would be dangerous for a low freeboard ski boat. Just watch the weather closely in certain sections. Some sections are narrow enough that it is challenging to ride safely on a busy day.

I’ve been watching a lot videos of folks riding sections of the ICW in North Carolina.
      You’re right. With good weather, making a stop in a marina for lunch or dinner and a little bit of site seeing may not be a bad idea.

Comment

Isn't that salt water? What boat do you have?

Comment

I have a 99 Sport non-coastal. I’ve never traveled the ICW and I suppose doing it once and thoroughly flushing boat and trailer wouldn’t hurt anything... could it??

Comment

It is saltwater and never seeing saltwater is a selling point on boats. The other thing I would pay close attention to are the markers. Plenty of shallow water in the sounds and Inboards obviously can not trim up. That being said I see several people with inboards on Instagram down around Wrightsville and have seen some up around Topsail.
            Last edited by SkiTower; 05-27-2021, 04:53 AM.
            2007 SV211 SE
            Tow Vehicle 2019 Tundra
            Dealer: www.Whitelake.com

Comment

You do make a good point about brackish/salt water and it’s enough to make me reconsider the idea. Besides, our boats are not necessarily runabouts. Renting might be more ideal

Comment

Working...
              X