Surf Ropes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf Ropes

I honestly don't understand "high end" surf ropes. The first goal of wakesurfing to ride without a rope, so I dont' see what advantage a more expensive rope gets you when you're only using it to get up. OK, rant over.

Anyhow, I could use a new rope. Does anyone have any experience with the "handle-less" ropes? I'm toying with the idea of one from a safety perspective--I'd hate to have a new rider or one of our kids have a bad experience with an arm or leg caught in the handle, but if they suck, I'd rather spend my $50 elsewhere. Maybe they're too thick for kids to grip?

It's not a huge expense in the scheme of things, but if I'm not going to be happy with it, I'd rather just buy another traditional rope.

The advantage of a high-end surf rope is they are lighter. When an unskilled person throws the rope and hits the surfer in the head because the sun was in their eyes it won't hurt them. Also it is much less likely to ding your custom board. In my experience this is a great rope... https://www.wakemakers.com/liquid-fo...pe.html?75=298. The handle-less ropes are difficult to use. Just have your rider drop the rope to the side and pull it in or have them toss it without coiling the rope and a regular rope is safe. Its rarely the handle that entangles the rider. Its the rope. Safe handling of the rope can greatly reduce these accidents.

Comment

MN Ryan I have one of those high end T-handle surf ropes ( Joy Stick) and absolutely love it . Why? The bungie feature is great because there it has no rope lack or lag. Worth ever penny IMHO, but to each their own.

Comment

I saw the price when they released the Joy Stick that thought to myself, "No fricking way." LOL. We have a $60 Ronix with a bungee in it. I didn't like the stretch at first but have gorwn used to it. I can take it or leave it, really.

Comment

Originally posted by greggmck View Post
          The handle-less ropes are difficult to use. Just have your rider drop the rope to the side and pull it in or have them toss it without coiling the rope and a regular rope is safe. Its rarely the handle that entangles the rider. Its the rope. Safe handling of the rope can greatly reduce these accidents.
          Thanks for the thoughts. We stress safe rope handling with the kids and newbs. If you say the handle-less ropes are difficult, I'll take that advice and stick with a traditional handle. I just didn't want to miss out on something awesome.

Comment

I have the one Greg recommends, or at least an older version of it. It's worked for us the last couple years very well. Never an issue but I guess there's always the chance of someone getting caught in it. That said I think there's probably a low odds scenario for just about any rope in the water moving at 10 - 12 MPH to be a disaster.

Comment

MN Ryan I have the rope Greg recommends as well. Great rope too

Comment

Working...
              X