Fins for Soulcraft Voodoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fins for Soulcraft Voodoo

The Voodoo comes stock with Future EA fins. Are there any other fins I should consider or just stick with the EA’s? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Originally posted by sbaird4000 View Post
    The Voodoo comes stock with Future EA fins. Are there any other fins I should consider or just stick with the EA’s? Thanks.

Just stick with what is comes with , they are fine

Comment

The Voodoo comes stock with Future EA fins. Are there any other fins I should consider or just stick with the EA�s? Thanks.

What level of surfer are you and what are your aspirations?

Fins can completely change the behavior of a surfboard. The thermotech plastic fins that come with most new boards are a good starting point. But they are very stiff and have serious limitations in drive. For example, the EA blackstix fins are the same shape but are made from carbon and are designed to flex. The flex allows the fin to be loaded when you pump and then released. This results in the most speed and drive which can be used to get bigger airs.

The downside of flexy fins like the Blackstix is they result in less control, so riding 360s and revert are more difficult.

There are exceptions but in general the progression of fin choice goes like this:

Thermotech plastic -> Beginner

EA Blackstix -> Carving and bigger airs

John Johns / WCT -> Balanced fins for advanced tricks. Stall 360, ollie oops, reverses, big spins..etc.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you both for the feedback. Greg, it’s funny you bring up the blackstix because those are the exact fins I was asking Jeff about yesterday. I would say that I am currently an intermediate surfer that has no problem getting up from either side of the boat regardless of which side I’m surfing on, I can surf to the swim platform and grab a drink them fall back, I have no problem riding the wave for as long as I want to and the only trick I can do is put one knee down and then stand back up. I’ve done a 360 but ended up losing the wave. This year I was hoping to learn how to do 360s without losing the wave, maybe get a little bit of air, and pump to gain speed rather lean.

Comment

That being said, the stock fins are probably just fine for the time being.

Comment

That being said, the stock fins are probably just fine for the time being.

Not to complicate your post but you are at about the same skill level as me other than the fact I finally landed a few 360s at the end of last season, but they are not on my Soulcraft JW board. They were on my Phase 5 Hammerhead skim style board with a 1.7 glass ear designed single fin. On my Soulcraft JW board which I used more often, I still have the the stock fins which I believe are plastic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5830_480x480.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	577654

Comment

360s are much easier on a skim board which is thinner and typically has 1 fin less than 2" tall than on a surfboard which has a minimum of 2 fins at least 2" or taller. But in both cases keeping your head and shoulders centered over the board is key. Most people drop their head which weighs the toe side edge of the board causing them to arc a turn over the wave instead of rotating in space.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

The Hammerhead was the board that I had every intention of buying....before speaking with Jeff at Soulcraft. I mentioned to him that I was comparing his product to a Hammerhead and he did not once give me an opinion of the Phase Five. Instead, he provided me all the info and help I needed with the voodoo which ultimately won me over. Guessing I need a Hammerhead now as well, lol.

Comment

The Hammerhead was the board that I had every intention of buying....before speaking with Jeff at Soulcraft. I mentioned to him that I was comparing his product to a Hammerhead and he did not once give me an opinion of the Phase Five. Instead, he provided me all the info and help I needed with the voodoo which ultimately won me over. Guessing I need a Hammerhead now as well, lol.

Comment

Both boards have different purposes. Yes at my level , two different style boards are the way to go depending on what I’m working on with my surfing skills.

Comment

Good point! Now all I have to do is sell my wife on the idea of 2 new boards!

Comment

Good point! Now all I have to do is sell my wife on the idea of 2 new boards!

Just get the second board and don’t tell her, that is what I did

Comment

Ha!

Comment

Yea- Don’t tell. That is how I have 5 boards. She eventually catches on.... but well after the fact and then I just beg forgiveness and tell her how surfing is keeping me young!

Comment

Just got a 4-9” Soulcraft AV from Angie Viland and can’t wait to surf it!

Comment

Working...
                              X