Best Surf Board for small wave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Surf Board for small wave?

I’m looking for recommendations on what board to buy to be able to EASILY surf with out the rope behind our GS20? I currently have a Hyprtlite Shim 5’’3”” and can go ropeless, but it isn’t easy for us beginners to stay in the pocket with the Shim. The pocket on the GS20 is pretty small and it’s easy to lose the push and fall behind. I’m improving and getting better at staying in the pocket, but my step son is really struggling. So I’m looking for a board that will be easy for beginners to go ropeless with a small wave.
    Last edited by Evening Shade; 10-07-2018, 07:35 AM.
    2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

I’d probably guess the most logical and easiest step would be the hyperlite landlock

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

Originally posted by Evening Shade View Post
      I’m looking for recommendations on what board to buy to be able to EASILY surf with out the rope behind our GS20? I currently have a Hyprtlite Shim 5’’3”” and can go ropeless, but it isn’t easy for us beginners to stay in the pocket with the Shim. The pocket on the GS20 is pretty small and it’s easy to lose the push and fall behind. I’m improving and getting better at staying in the pocket, but my step son is really struggling. So I’m looking for a board that will be easy for beginners to go ropeless with a small wave.
      practice

I have the same boat and the same board. I am 215#. I can surf the wave ropeless across the lake.

I am looking at some phase 5 boards though. I want something faster. a couple of the HL Byerly or varial boards may be faster as well

Comment

I know our dealer recommends the Hyperlite Time Machine for people who have boats with a little smaller wave. No firsthand experience myself.

Comment

To recommend a "good" board will require a bit more information. What side of the boat do you surf? What speed? How tall and how much does your son weigh? Finally what budget are you looking at? Are you looking at adding weight to improve the GS20 wave? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by greggmck View Post
            To recommend a "good" board will require a bit more information. What side of the boat do you surf? What speed? How tall and how much does your son weigh? Finally what budget are you looking at? Are you looking at adding weight to improve the GS20 wave? Thanks!
            He is 5'6" and weighs 155#. He surfs on the starboard side at 11.5 mph. I have extra sacks in the boat so adding weight isn't a problem, but it is a little bit of pain because I have to use a Sumo pump to fill them.

As far as budget is concerned, I don't want to spend a ton of money on what I essentially view as a beginners board.

Comment

He is 5'6" and weighs 155#. He surfs on the starboard side at 11.5 mph. I have extra sacks in the boat so adding weight isn't a problem, but it is a little bit of pain because I have to use a Sumo pump to fill them.

As far as budget is concerned, I don't want to spend a ton of money on what I essentially view as a beginners board.
              -----------------
              Thanks. At his weight and size, the 5' 3" Shim should be an adequate beginner board for him to learn to surf without the rope. So let's focus on a few fundamentals to ensure he has the best chance to surf freely on your wave.
              First, make sure the rope is at the correct length. This will ensure he starts in the sweet spot of the wave and gives him a greater chance of starting with ample push.

Toss out the rope while you are running your boat with a surf wave. Adjust your rope length so that the rope is one-two feet in front of the rear-most section of the wave, just before the curl/wash at the back of the wave. NEVER loop up a rope that is too long while you are riding. Adjust it immediately. Too many people loop the rope in their hands to take up the slack. Then they fall, the rope wraps around their arm and they get a nasty shoulder or elbow dislocation. This is a novice move you never want to do.
              Second, make sure his feet are in the proper position. Have him begin surfing with his front foot ankle bone aligned with or just near the center line of the board. This will put his toes closer to the wave side edge than his heels are to the opposite edge. This is key to ensure he has toe-side pressure on the board. For his rear foot, also slide his toes closer to the wave. In this position have him bend his knees and put weight evenly on the balls of his feet as if he is preparing to shoot a jump shot. Tell him to relax. He should be able to sit on the wave in a relaxed position and the rope should slacken indicating the wave is doing all of the work. Practice in a tailwind first to make it easier for him to feel the wave push. Have him stay on the rope trying to keep the rope slack, this gives the surfer the chance to feel surfing without the pull of the rope but if they make a mistake the rope can save them without having to waste time circling back for a restart. I would do this until he can surf with a slack rope for 2 - 3 minutes. Everyone wants to throw the rope asap, but this just slows their progress.
              With strong toe side pressure, the board will climb up the wave as gravity pulls it down, reaching equilibrium. In this foot position, one should be able to surf as long as they want without losing the wave. Once your surfer has found this "push" from the wave it's time to toss the rope.
              Most beginners surf too close to the boat. You want to learn to use all of the wave and trust the wave will provide push across the full length of the wave. This will accelerate one's skills.
              Start practicing moving up closer to the boat by putting more weight on your front foot. Brake by shifting weight to your back foot. Practice until you are comfortable sliding close to the back of the boat and then all the way to the end of the wave.
              Now practice going up the wave and back down. Carving more aggressively as you get comfortable. In about 5-10 days of practice, one should be able to play on the entire wave.

Since your son surfs on the Goofy side, the stock wave should have ample push. You may want to add about 400 - 500lbs of weight in people or ballast to pump up the wave. Also, 11.5 is about as fast as you want to go. 11.2 to 11.3mph is ideal as it makes it easier to do 360s and other tricks as well as gives a beginner a taller wave with more push.

If you are looking to purchase a new board I personally would stay away from the high-volume brand names. Real surfboards like Soulcraft, Blusurf, Kanuk, and Hyperlite Varial boards make ALL the difference in the world and can greatly improve the progress you and your son have. At 155-170lbs your son should ride a 4' 5" blunt nose or 4', 6" round/pointy nose board. For example, the Soulcraft Voodoo is a great board for him that can take him to the next level once he has mastered staying on the wave... Good luck!

Gregg McKnight
              2018 World Wakesurf Champion - Masters Men
              Last edited by greggmck; 10-08-2018, 12:13 PM.

Comment

-----------------
                Thanks. At his weight and size, the 5' 3" Shim should be an adequate beginner board for him to learn to surf without the rope. So let's focus on a few fundamentals to ensure he has the best chance to surf freely on your wave.
                First, make sure the rope is at the correct length. This will ensure he starts in the sweet spot of the wave and gives him a greater chance of starting with ample push.

Toss out the rope while you are running your boat with a surf wave. Adjust your rope length so that the rope is one-two feet in front of the rear-most section of the wave, just before the curl/wash at the back of the wave. NEVER loop up a rope that is too long while you are riding. Adjust it immediately. Too many people loop the rope in their hands to take up the slack. Then they fall, the rope wraps around their arm and they get a nasty shoulder or elbow dislocation. This is a novice move you never want to do.
                Second, make sure his feet are in the proper position. Have him begin surfing with his front foot ankle bone aligned with or just near the center line of the board. This will put his toes closer to the wave side edge than his heels are to the opposite edge. This is key to ensure he has toe-side pressure on the board. For his rear foot, also slide his toes closer to the wave. In this position have him bend his knees and put weight evenly on the balls of his feet as if he is preparing to shoot a jump shot. Tell him to relax. He should be able to sit on the wave in a relaxed position and the rope should slacken indicating the wave is doing all of the work. Practice in a tailwind first to make it easier for him to feel the wave push. Have him stay on the rope trying to keep the rope slack, this gives the surfer the chance to feel surfing without the pull of the rope but if they make a mistake the rope can save them without having to waste time circling back for a restart. I would do this until he can surf with a slack rope for 2 - 3 minutes. Everyone wants to throw the rope asap, but this just slows their progress.
                With strong toe side pressure, the board will climb up the wave as gravity pulls it down, reaching equilibrium. In this foot position, one should be able to surf as long as they want without losing the wave. Once your surfer has found this "push" from the wave it's time to toss the rope.
                Most beginners surf too close to the boat. You want to learn to use all of the wave and trust the wave will provide push across the full length of the wave. This will accelerate one's skills.
                Start practicing moving up closer to the boat by putting more weight on your front foot. Brake by shifting weight to your back foot. Practice until you are comfortable sliding close to the back of the boat and then all the way to the end of the wave.
                Now practice going up the wave and back down. Carving more aggressively as you get comfortable. In about 5-10 days of practice, one should be able to play on the entire wave.

Since your son surfs on the Goofy side, the stock wave should have ample push. You may want to add about 400 - 500lbs of weight in people or ballast to pump up the wave. Also, 11.5 is about as fast as you want to go. 11.2 to 11.3mph is ideal as it makes it easier to do 360s and other tricks as well as gives a beginner a taller wave with more push.

If you are looking to purchase a new board I personally would stay away from the high-volume brand names. Real surfboards like Soulcraft, Blusurf, Kanuk, and Hyperlite Varial boards make ALL the difference in the world and can greatly improve the progress you and your son have. At 155-170lbs your son should ride a 4' 5" blunt nose or 4', 6" round/pointy nose board. For example, the Soulcraft Voodoo is a great board for him that can take him to the next level once he has mastered staying on the wave... Good luck!

Gregg McKnight
                2018 World Wakesurf Champion - Masters Men
                Gregg,

Thanks for all the great advice.

What makes the boards from Soulcraft, Blusurf, and Kanuk so much better than the typical high-volume brands?

Comment

Gregg,

Thanks for all the great advice.

What makes the boards from Soulcraft, Blusurf, and Kanuk so much better than the typical high-volume brands?
                  It comes down to weight, performance, and shape. Most high volume boards are compression molded. This produces a durable but heavy board. In general, most high-volume boards are also shaped for very small waves and beginner levels of performance, resulting in a large, wide and slow board which produces a lethargic ride. While this is fine in the early days, with the right equipment and technique most people can progress rapidly and easily outgrow a compression molded board. I can't tell you how many friends we have invited on our boat. I put them on a properly fitted surfboard and they have MUCH more fun and progress so much faster. The most frequent quote is " WOW I did not think surfing was that much fun!" Here is a good link describing wakesurf board construction techniques. https://www.wakemakers.com/resources...les-explained/

So my advice would be to use the 5' 3" Shim to get past the basics. Then if you enjoy surfing and expect to spend time continuing to progress I would spend the money for a good surfboard. You will not be disappointed! To get an idea of what is possible, here is a video of my son. He has been surfing for 2 years and is now the 2018 World Wakesurf Amature Men Champ. https://youtu.be/qkYnDPCtSN0

Enjoy,

Gregg

Comment

It comes down to weight, performance, and shape. Most high volume boards are compression molded. This produces a durable but heavy board. In general, most high-volume boards are also shaped for very small waves and beginner levels of performance, resulting in a large, wide and slow board which produces a lethargic ride. While this is fine in the early days, with the right equipment and technique most people can progress rapidly and easily outgrow a compression molded board. I can't tell you how many friends we have invited on our boat. I put them on a properly fitted surfboard and they have MUCH more fun and progress so much faster. The most frequent quote is " WOW I did not think surfing was that much fun!" Here is a good link describing wakesurf board construction techniques. https://www.wakemakers.com/resources...les-explained/

So my advice would be to use the 5' 3" Shim to get past the basics. Then if you enjoy surfing and expect to spend time continuing to progress I would spend the money for a good surfboard. You will not be disappointed! To get an idea of what is possible, here is a video of my son. He has been surfing for 2 years and is now the 2018 World Wakesurf Amature Men Champ. https://youtu.be/qkYnDPCtSN0

Enjoy,

Gregg
                    Great video! How old is your son?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Rock View Post

Great video! How old is your son?
                      He turned 16 this summer...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a GS22 last year with the shim and had trouble staying in the pocket as well, even with the extra weight. I rode for a month longer with the shim and got better, but the second I bought my soulcraft (so obviously i agree with greggmck ) it was night and day difference. I was all over that with tons of speed and agility. I've ridden 3-4 models of Soulcraft since and you really can't go wrong. I found the varials to be slower and not worth the extra money. It you are trying to stay in budget I know there are some sites out there with used boards.

I upgraded to a G23 this year and could ride a piece of plywood on that wave if I had to
                        2017 GS22
                        2018 G23

Comment

Originally posted by steakNshake View Post
                          I had a GS22 last year with the shim and had trouble staying in the pocket as well, even with the extra weight. I rode for a month longer with the shim and got better, but the second I bought my soulcraft (so obviously i agree with greggmck ) it was night and day difference. I was all over that with tons of speed and agility. I've ridden 3-4 models of Soulcraft since and you really can't go wrong. I found the varials to be slower and not worth the extra money. It you are trying to stay in budget I know there are some sites out there with used boards.

I upgraded to a G23 this year and could ride a piece of plywood on that wave if I had to
                          I agree with greggmck and steakNshake. I bought a Soulcraft Jordi Pro and it took my wakesurfing to another level. Below is the custom colored top of the board to match my Midnight Blue G23

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jordi Pro 54 inch back.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	570192
                          Last edited by GMLIII; 10-10-2018, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GMLIII View Post

I agree with greggmck and steakNshake. I bought a Soulcraft Jordi Pro and it took my wakesurfing to another level. Below is the custom colored top of the board to match my Midnight Blue G23

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jordi Pro 54 inch back.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	570192
                            What is the average price of a Soulcraft board?

Comment

What is the average price of a Soulcraft board?
                              This one was customized somewhat making it wider than normal since I'm only 5.9 inches tall but weigh 180 lbs, and I custom colored the top and used a stock image bottom. In total it ran me about $1,050.00 if I remember correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              X