I bought a Nautique, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought a Nautique, now what?

A decades long dream finally came true and we added a Nautique 216 to our family. Our new-to-us boat is shown here along with my first mate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4764[1].JPG
Views:	278
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	559232

I had her out with a full crew. With 7 folks on board and a full tank of gas, I found the slalom wake quite cross-able at 30mph and 15 off. At 22 off, however, it felt like a ski-jump.

Comment

I bought a Nautique, now what?

You bought a Nautique, now wakeboard if you have a full crew on board, slalom if it's just you and your slalom buddy. And enjoy, whatever you do!
      Great looking boat, congrats!

Comment

Here are a few things I've done since getting my first Nautique 4 summers ago (2007 236):

Get a spare impeller and belt and learn how to change them out.
        Get a spare prop and prop puller kit.
        Find the boat and engine manual and read them.
        Look into Fresh Air Exhaust if you plan on doing any surfing.
        Check out Nautique Parts and remember there in a Planet Nautique Discount of 10% with code PND.
        Clean all the vinyl and protect it with something like 303 Aerospace Vinyl Protectant or similar product.
        Make sure you have a lug nut wrench that fits the trailer wheels.
        Resist the temptation to buy or have a tube. I have 6 kids from 5 to 13 and we have convinced them to try skiing, wake boarding, knee boarding, wake skating, and surfing. Now most of the time we don't ever get the tube out.

Other than that, I would say get out and use it. Take your friends out on the lake and spread the love. Take Mondays off work and go to the lake. Have fun and enjoy. Best thing I've done for my family is getting a Nautique and using it often.

Comment

Originally posted by Nautique Fan View Post
          Here are a few things I've done since getting my first Nautique 4 summers ago (2007 236):

Get a spare impeller and belt and learn how to change them out.
          Get a spare prop and prop puller kit.
          Find the boat and engine manual and read them.
          Look into Fresh Air Exhaust if you plan on doing any surfing.
          Check out Nautique Parts and remember there in a Planet Nautique Discount of 10% with code PND.
          Clean all the vinyl and protect it with something like 303 Aerospace Vinyl Protectant or similar product.
          Make sure you have a lug nut wrench that fits the trailer wheels.
          Resist the temptation to buy or have a tube. I have 6 kids from 5 to 13 and we have convinced them to try skiing, wake boarding, knee boarding, wake skating, and surfing. Now most of the time we don't ever get the tube out.

Other than that, I would say get out and use it. Take your friends out on the lake and spread the love. Take Mondays off work and go to the lake. Have fun and enjoy. Best thing I've done for my family is getting a Nautique and using it often.
          If you must buy a tube get the Molecule. When my kids were young they loved using it with friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNKWxrh8Q8U

Comment

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Definitely some great insight!!

I am brand new to the whole inboard/Nautique ownership thing, but have owned other boats for several years. As a result, I'm stumbling into some new found knowledge like the t-handle plug in the battery compartment... This forum has been a wealth of knowledge for me to learn the ropes.

I'm now fighting a stiff steering cable, some mis-behaving gages, and loose sideboards. I plan to lube the rudder and also the cable at the sleeve attach point by the fuel tank. Unfortunately, I have hard ballast tanks and space is a bit tight down there. For the gages, I already disassembled the Faria box and all is well inside (no moisture), but I'm still having intermittent fuel, temp, and voltmeter operation. I'm thinking it might be the digital gages themselves since I get the same voltage across each cable from the Tachometer all the way thru to the last gage. I'm also thinking it might be a symptom of the boat sitting wet for a while with the previous owner. For the side boards, I have no idea. When I crawl under there, I see loose locknuts that are on a freely-spinning threaded rod. This rod disappears into the upholstery and I have no idea what is on the other end... any ideas??

I did indeed pickup the Aerospace 303 cleaner and vinyl protectant. Thanks for the tip. Also thanks for the PND discount code !!!

I also already have a couple of tubes from our previous boat, but the great news is both of our kiddos are thrilled about skiiing and can already do a deep water start. My oldest (age 9) is already talking about dropping a ski.

I would prefer just having a slalom buddy onboard to do the slalom runs, but that is not practical for me with a family. Can't exactly leave the kids on the dock. Before buying this boat I was looking hard at a 206 and actually planned on getting one of those before I saw this deal on the 216. I heard often that the ski wake is better on the 206, however it is also weight sensitive. Therefore, I wonder which boat would throw a more acceptable wave with 4 adults, 3 kids and a labrador on board?

Please keep any other advice coming!

Comment

Nice Color scheme. looks like my OG SANTE 210. I took the big ugly "AIR" sticker off and only left the "Nautique" in the middle. I think it looks better. Then again I remove all decals from vehicles. Instead of using the 303 cleaner, I have had good luck with LA's Totally Awesome as the cleaner, then right after I condition with Babes.
              Everyone talks about the boat, remember you also have a trailer. Re-pack the bearings, check the brake system, change the brake fluid, make sure the bunks are in good condition.
              and most important on the list: ENJOY IT!

Comment

Nice one! I recently replaced the steering cable and it's so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by jvj1980 View Post
                  Nice one! I recently replaced the steering cable and it's so much better.
                  Thanks! The lube helped a little and the steering is probably good enough to get me through the summer. I will likely replace the cable over the winter. Was it difficult to do when you did it? A saw a video about the rope trick and it looks pretty straight forward. I'm guessing that getting the ballast tanks out of the way is the hardest part, do you agree?

Comment

Working...
                  X