Greg Meloon Answers Our Questions -- 2017 Innovations and the GS20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Meloon Answers Our Questions -- 2017 Innovations and the GS20

Last week, I had the opportunity to connect with Greg Meloon (President of Nautique Boat Company) about what's happening at Nautique, their new products for 2017, and the new GS20. Below is a transcript of that discussion.

Jeff Carroll: Greg, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions! It has been a little while since we havedone one of these interviews, and the insight our members and others in the watersports community gain from these interviews is always great! PLANETNAUTIQUE has grown to approximately 23,000 members now, and we appreciate being able to get information about the current happenings at Nautique directly from you and your team!

Back in July, some Nautique employees participated in Correct Craft’s Weekend of Service. Can you tell us a little bit about what went on that weekend?

Greg Meloon: For the past decade, members of the Nautique Team have been travelling around the world to meet the needs of others. This summer, our mission trip was closer to home as Nautique and Correct Craft employees traveled to Boynton Beach, FL to serve at The Lord’s Place, a homeless shelter serving Palm Beach County for over three decades. Employees painted the inside of 17 apartments used to house the men going through a 12-month program to help end homelessness. We also hosted a catered lunch for the residents and staff at The Lord’s Place. Many of the residents worked side-by-side with our team and shared life stories.

Jeff Carroll: I know that Nautique is a company that enjoys giving back, both locally and globally. Are there any other service projects coming up for Nautique?

Greg Meloon: Globally, we are currently partnering with some of our corporate partners (DiamondBack, Outer Armor, SeaDek, Ram-Lin) to fabricate a commercial playground that we plan to install next March in the Dominican Republic. Locally, we continue to work with great organizations that make a difference in the Orlando community. Our incredible team of people volunteer their time and drive our efforts to be good partners in the community. It is amazing to watch their vision and passion for helping others grow!

Jeff Carroll: August 22 marked one year since we lost an industry legend – Andy Mapple. How has his passing affected those at Nautique? I know Andy had a big influence on the design of the Ski Nautique 200, but did he have any input on the GS20’s design as far as how to make it ski better?

Greg Meloon: The loss of Andy greatly impacted our team just as it did the entire waterskiing community. He was much more than just a Nautique Athlete. He was our friend, and his loss will impact each of us for years to come. Andy did participate early in the GS20 development program. In fact, his first experience skiing the initial test mule was less than ideal when the engineering team later discovered the ballast was full… In true Andy Mapple style, he made the extra challenge appear effortless while driving the Product Development Team to achieve a higher standard. We are fortunate to have a deep team of athletes with current World Record Holder Nate Smith and others filling key development roles.

Jeff Carroll: The GS20 looks like an incredible boat! I have not been in one yet, but it appears to have wonderful multi-sport capabilities. I have seen videos of people skiing, wakeboarding and surfing behind it, and it seems to do everything quite well. How is that possible?

Greg Meloon: Every project presents unique challenges, but designing one boat for every watersports activity qualifies as the ultimate challenge. Our Product Development Team continues to create innovative solutions on every new program. This knowledge has helped create the world’s best waterski, wakeboard and wakesurf boats. When starting the GS20 project, the clean sheet of paper was quickly influenced by successful hull designs that currently existed in the Nautique line. By combining key attributes of the Ski Nautique and Super Air Nautique G Series, we were able to narrow in on a primary hull design that worked well on the water. No Nautique is simply good enough… the team continued to develop the running surface until the development and athlete teams were satisfied with the results. On a parallel path, the Design Team set out to maximize the footprint available in the 20 foot length. Your first experience will have you in disbelief that so much space and storage could exist in this boat. It is truly “Ultimate Versatility in 20 Feet of Perfection!”

Jeff Carroll: Will this boat take the place of the Sport Nautique 200? I am hearing conflicting reports from dealers about whether the Sport Nautique 200 is being offered for 2017.

Greg Meloon: We are continuing to offer the Sport Nautique 200 for a limited run in the 2017 model year. There are several lakes that not only have length restrictions but also have weight restrictions that the Sport Nautique 200 meets.

Jeff Carroll: Are there plans to expand the GS-Series beyond the GS20? If so, can you share with us other models to look for, and when we might see those?

Greg Meloon: Jeff, you always try to sneak these questions in about future models… I can promise you that our Product Development Team is never at rest! We have some exciting products planned for the next 5 years!

Jeff Carroll: Will the GS20 have any effects on other models, like the 210 and 230? Will those two be staying in the lineup for the foreseeable future?

Greg Meloon: There was not an intent to directly replace the 210 with the GS20. We know that many Nautique enthusiast have a passion for the 210 and its traditional design language. Personally, I have so many great memories and experiences in and behind several generations of the 210. It has rightfully created an Iconic status in the industry!

Jeff Carroll: The GS20’s standard engine is the ZR4. That’s a new name in the PCM engine lineup, but it is actually a familiar engine, is it not? What can you tell us about that engine?

Greg Meloon: The ZR4 is a new development on a familiar engine platform. General Motors had originally planned to end production of the 6.0L engine earlier this year but their product plans changed and they have provided PCM with new availability for several years. This was our premium engine for many years and we know it makes great power, combined with great reliability. PCM repackaged the cooling system and made multiple product enhancements to provide 400 HP and 400 LBS of Torque in the 2017 ZR4 package. It is the standard power plant for the Ski Nautique, SAN 210/230 and GS20 for 2017. It is a great starting point before moving into the Direct Injection H5 and H6 engines that provide a whole new level of refinement and power that our customers have raved about following their 2016 introduction.

Jeff Carroll: It also looks like Nautique is offering a new bimini, new board racks, and even a new tower on the G Series boats. What prompted these changes, and what can you tell us about them? Are the bimini and board racks backward-compatible to previous year boats?

Greg Meloon: The details become extremely important when your spending time on the water. The 2017 Bimini Top provides the same great function and coverage of the 2016 bimini but is enhanced with the optional Surfboard Pockets. The Board Racks have been upgraded to handle two large surfboards and/or wakeboard combinations on each rack. The G-Series tower incorporates fresh styling and integration of the Nautique Awareness Camera which provides an overhead view for the driver on the LINC PANORAY touchscreen. The board racks and bimini changes have some level of integration with past designs. Your local dealer will be able to provide more information for a customer’s specific needs.

Jeff Carroll: The G-series also has a new helm design, and a new LINC display. I think these look great, although I think I might miss the driver’s side glove box. I have gotten to use the new LINC display a few times already, and I love it! Are there any new features in the new LINC PANORAY that you can tell us about?

Greg Meloon: The new helm design is driven by our desire to locate everything at the driver’s finger tips. The integrated phone holder is designed to fit nearly every phone on the market even in a waterproof case. There are charging ports and connectivity options easily accessible. As with all recent Nautique helms, the visibility is outstanding for any size driver. The LINC PANORAY display builds on the 2016 interface and uses the largest screen in the industry to provide even more functionality. The driver can customize the switchboard to keep their favorite functions handy on the home screen and the playback of the Nautique Awareness camera can be selected by the driver to display at slow speeds, all the time or only when selected. The Helm Command continues to operate every function on the display so the driver can choose whether to operate the boat from the screen or the rotary dial.

Jeff Carroll: What other new things can we look forward to from Nautique in 2017?

Greg Meloon: We will continue to develop new functionality for the LINC PANORAY as the software advances to take advantage of everything the hardware has to offer. Surf Select is now able to access the ballast shift function when used with the Pebble application, and the latest generation of Pebble Time watches are able to seamlessly connect. The Nautique Team is continuously driven to improve our customer’s experiences in ways they have not even thought about yet!

Jeff Carroll: How is Nautique planning to stay industry-driving (as opposed to industry-driven) as time goes on?

Greg Meloon: This question is at the heart of why the Nautique Team comes to the office each day with a passion to develop and produce great boats. We place the highest value on satisfying our customers and seeking to understand how we can provide them with a better experience. The feedback we receive from the people using our products each and every day is a valuable tool in creating the next experience. We combine this with a creative team that develops a strategic plan for the future. This applies to all aspects of the culture at Nautique; including the products we bring to market. The GS20 is the most recent example of what this plan can produce, but it won’t be the last!

Jeff Carroll: What is Nautique doing to make sure your dealers are the best in the industry? Can you talk a little bit about how Nautique influences their dealers to provide a great experience for all of their customers? In the eyes of Nautique, how important is the dealership experience in the overall picture of boat ownership?

Greg Meloon: Nautique Dealers are a very important part of our team. We have partnered with many of our dealers for years and some for decades. For 2015, Nautique was represented by 23 of North America’s Top 100 Dealers; the most by any manufacturer in the entire boating industry. We continuously provide our dealerships with feedback on their Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) scores from Nautique customers and provide support to solve customer concerns. Each year, we host a Service Technician School in Orlando where hundreds of service techs are trained by Nautique and PCM experts. The techs get complete access to the inner workings of our boats for a deeper understanding of their design and componentry. The Nautique Sales Team is constantly seeking to develop our dealers to maintain the best network in the industry.

Jeff Carroll: The Nautique WWA Wakeboard World Championship were held this past weekend August 25 – 28. Events like the Worlds are always a good time, and it is great to see so many people at all levels riding in Nautique events. What other events can we look forward to for the rest of this year and into 2017?

Greg Meloon: We were very excited for the G23 to be the Official Towboat of the WWA Wakeboard Worlds. The athletes desire to compete behind the best wake boat available, and the G23 is clearly the best wake boat. The location on the waterfront in downtown Toronto provided the best combination of water conditions and exposure for the sport to millions of people! Wakeboarding needs this kind of exposure to continue growing the sport! In the last few years, we have established Nautique in competitive wakesurfing around the globe with premier events in the US, Canada and Europe. The G23 equipped with the Nautique Surf System is the perfect wave producer! Our roots run deep in waterskiing and we are looking forward to the US Open combined with the Big Dawg Final this September 30th to October 1st in West Palm Beach, Florida. The Waterskiing World Championships belong behind the Ski Nautique and 2016 is the first year of our exclusive 10-year contract with the IWWF to tow these great events. The Senior World Waterski Championships will be held this September in Spain followed by the Junior World Waterski Championships this December in Chile.

Jeff Carroll: I know there are also lots of local events pulled by Nautique. In fact, the PLANETNAUTIQUE G23 will be pulling an event in Mooresville, NC on Lake Norman on September 17 called Wake the Lake. This is an event put on by IcyWakes Surf Shop, one of our local wakeboard shops. This will be a great event, and I believe our Nautique rep will be bringing a GS20 to that event for people to check out as well! Similar events happen all over the world, and they are a great opportunity for people to experience a Nautique first-hand!

One final question. I spent the last few days in Raleigh, NC at a boat show with White Lake Marine. There were so many people coming into our booth asking if we had a GS20 there. So many people want to experience this boat! When will we see more of them hitting local dealerships so that people can experience one for themselves?

Greg Meloon: The launch weekend combined the GS20 unveiling with two days of demonstrations at our local dealer Silver Spray Sports. The feedback from customers was outstanding! We introduced the GS20 recently to the Australian market at the Brisbane Boat Show. There are several customers excited to receive their new GS20 for the upcoming summer in Australia. GS20s have been finishing off the production line for the last several weeks, and our sales team is already travelling with some of the first boats to your local Nautique dealer providing first-hand experiences. Contact your local Nautique Dealer for more information!

Jeff Carroll: As always, we appreciate your time and the information you have given us! I am looking forward to picking up the 2017 PLANETNAUTIQUE G23 at the end of September, and I can’t wait to try out all of the new features for 2017!

Is there anything else you would like to share with the PLANETNAUTIQUE community?

Greg Meloon: I am privileged to represent an incredible group of individuals that collectively make up the Nautique Team. We are motivated to provide our customers with the best boats in the world, and we are committed to standing behind our products. I appreciate each and every customer that is a part of the PLANETNAUTIQUE Community. Thank you for choosing and supporting Nautique! I hope to see you on the water soon!

Current Boats —> 2024 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2018 SAN 210 TE -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196 -- 2002 Ski Nautique -- 2001 Ski Nautique -- 2000 Sport Nautique -- 2000 Nautique Super Sport -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1996 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (Twin-Engine, 1 of 13) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4) -- 1980 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4)
    Former Boats —> 2023 Super Air Nautique G23 --
    2022 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2020 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2019 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2018 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2017 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2016 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2015 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2013 Super Air Nautique G232012 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2011 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2010 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2008 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2007 Air Nautique 236 Team Edition -- 2007 Air Nautique SV-211 -- 2005 SV-211 -- 2003 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition -- 2003 Air Nautique 226 -- 2003 Sport Nautique 216 -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196-- 2001 Sport Nautique -- 2001 Ski Nautique --1999 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1999 Air Tique 176 -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1994 Ski Nautique -- 1993 Barefoot Nautique -- 1983 Fish Nautique (TWIN ENGINE, 1 of 4) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (SINGLE ENGINE)

Need something for your boat? Please check out our site sponsors! Not only do they offer the best products available, they also support this site.
    NautiqueParts.com - Roswell Marine - Phoenix Trailers - SkiSafe - PCM Marine Engines - PerfectPass - C&S Marine - OJ Propellers - WakeMakers -- Swell Wakesurf

Thanks Jeff!! Great Job!!

He didn't really respond on the 230. I realize they are not going to give us much about whats coming but it makes me wonder!!!!

Jeff Carroll: Will the GS20 have any effects on other models, like the 210 and 230? Will those two be staying in the lineup for the foreseeable future?

Greg Meloon: There was not an intent to directly replace the 210 with the GS20. We know that many Nautique enthusiast have a passion for the 210 and its traditional design language. Personally, I have so many great memories and experiences in and behind several generations of the 210. It has rightfully created an Iconic status in the industry!

Comment

Interesting read but he didn't really answer any of your questions directly. Wish there was more insight into the 230 or rumored larger gs models.

Comment

Wow! He just totally weaseled out of your 210/230 question. Hard to believe that type of a non-answer came from a Meloon.

Comment

Good interview but I agree I felt like my Pr guy was answering these questions . I'm sure he has to protect the brand and that's why he danced around . But would be nice to know .
          Current Correct Craft Boat
          [URL="http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/05/1e6128564805861d2625d7b7f8efd2f1.jpg"]2015 SANTE 210[/URL]

Correct Craft Boats Owned
          [URL="http://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/attachment.php?attachmentid=17771&d=1340117700"]2012 SANTE 210 (Boatmate Trailer)[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/attachment.php?attachmentid=14107&d=1313460568"]2003 SANTE 210 (Dorsey Trailer)[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/attachment.php?attachmentid=14108&d=1313461675"]2007 SANTE 210 (Magnum Trailer)[/URL]

Comment

Young guy. He'll continue to mature into his executive position over the coming years.

Dissaponted in Nautique leadership still no recognition or energy to improve the customer service issues for ALL Nautique customers to get excellent service regardless of when or where the boat is bought. First question: " WHERE DID YOU BUY YOUR BOAT?" = "that'll take 6-8 weeks" or "sorry your boat got wet (completed trashed and covered in mold and mildew".

CSI's are a joke. Where is my CSI 2yrs after sale when Chessie trashed my boat?? Refused service?? They fail to capture what's happening. And the state of play currently is chalk it all up to confusion and misunderstanding. Repeat, and continue to fail to deliver on promised service and warranty.

understand this is not a condemnation of many awesome dealers or the main Naitique customer service folks... They work hard to smooth over the policy issues the Nautique leadership have failed to put in place.

Whats missing are policies on the front end to incentivize dealers to provide all Nautique customers A+ level service at any dealer 5, 10, 20yrs after sale.... To regular folks beyond Shaun Murray and Urban Myer.

Nautique top leadership are out of touch with their customers and are more than happy to continue running these Bayliner tactics to squeeze profits out of customers after the sale.
            Last edited by nyryan2001; 09-04-2016, 08:12 AM.
            2019 G23 450
            2014 G23 550
            2013 G23 450
            2011 Malibu Wakesetter 247
            2007 Yamaha AR210

Comment

Originally posted by nyryan2001 View Post
              Young guy. He'll continue to mature into his executive position over the coming years.

Dissaponted in Nautique leadership still no recognition or energy to improve the customer service issues for ALL Nautique customers to get excellent service regardless of when or where the boat is bought. First question: " WHERE DID YOU BUY YOUR BOAT?" = "that'll take 6-8 weeks" or "sorry your boat got wet (completed trashed and covered in mold and mildew".

CSI's are a joke. Where is my CSI 2yrs after sale when Chessie trashed my boat?? Refused service?? They fail to capture what's happening. And the state of play currently is chalk it all up to confusion and misunderstanding. Repeat, and continue to fail to deliver on promised service and warranty.

understand this is not a condemnation of many awesome dealers or the main Naitique customer service folks... They work hard to smooth over the policy issues the Nautique leadership have failed to put in place.

Whats missing are policies on the front end to incentivize dealers to provide all Nautique customers A+ level service at any dealer 5, 10, 20yrs after sale.... To regular folks beyond Shaun Murray and Urban Myer.

Nautique top leadership are out of touch with their customers and are more than happy to continue running these Bayliner tactics to squeeze profits out of customers after the sale.
              That is a major bummer. Guys like Ryan that have to deal with multiple dealerships gets screwed even after a new boat purchase. This should be corrected. These boats cost as much as most people's houses and customers should be respected much more when they travel and have to use a new dealer. Shame....

Comment

Working...
              X