2014 PCM ZR409 (6.0L) Coolant Flush DIY Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 PCM ZR409 (6.0L) Coolant Flush DIY Notes

Thought I'd share my experience with flushing the coolant on our 2014 SN200 OB with the ZR409 - the engine had 550hrs so it was time.

We drained both heater hoses (one at the front of the engine, starboard side, and one at the back of the engine coming off the heat exchanger). After they drained we blew them out to get all the fluid out of the heater. Then we drained the big hose going into the engine that the reservoir connects to (front engine starboard side, right beside the belt cover). We tried to find block drain plugs but couldn't find any - took out two bolts that looked like they would be in the location for block drains but they were dry and nothing came out.

Anyways, drained all the fluid out and then refilled with DexCool. Added approximately 7L or just under 2 gallons till it was full in the reservoir. Put the boat on the highest angle we could find (back down, front up) to try and get the reservoir as high as possible to get the air out. Ran the engine until it got to 170F (normally runs at 160-165F). Shut it down and then waited. After it cooled to about 130F, we added more coolant and started it back up. This time the engine did not want to overheat. Shut the engine off and put the boat away.

The next day we came out and checked the coolant level before we ran it. Reservoir was completely empty! Filled it up again to the full mark and ran the boat in the lake. Checked the level between passes and added coolant once.

Put the boat away after a couple of sets. Checked it the next day and there was still coolant in the reservoir but a bit low. Filled it up to max level again. Did this about 5 times before all the air was out of the system and the reservoir stayed full after the engine totally cooled down.

Total coolant used was just over 2.5 gallons - 10L approx.

Sorry - no pics!
    Last edited by pauldixon; 10-31-2022, 10:17 AM.

Note that since I wrote this I have been advised there are bleeder plugs on the exhaust manifolds to get rid of the air. Haven’t tried it but thought I’d pass it along.

Comment

Working...
    X