rear platform rebuild 2000 SAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear platform rebuild 2000 SAN

hey all, planning to rebuild the rear platform for our 2000 SAN for a few reasons which I'm happy to elaborate on if anyone's curious, but more to the point I have a couple things in mind that I wanted to float by the group to see if anyone can think of a good idea why my ideas are bad ...
    * planning on teak - probably something with more gap/space in it than the existing +/- same shape and dims as original
    * planning on upgrading brackets - thinking to change to the brackets on newer boats (links below) - I'm aware we're talking about current 4-hole mount vs. proposed 2-hole. Thinking of having a custom block milled that will bolt through the existing 4-holes in the transom and capture the bolt-head end of 2-bolts as studs for new platform plate
    https://www.nautiqueparts.com/produc...e-port-14-deg/
    https://www.nautiqueparts.com/produc...-port-210-230/
    * planning on raising the platform an inch or two to accommodate the additional weight of all the ballast in the boat when surfing (so we're not dragging the platform). Maybe an hdpe spacer between the brackets and platform so that it can be removed if we decide we don't like the higher platform

Any thoughts, encouragement, ridicule?
    thx!

I'm in a similar spot. My platform is starting to flex more and has signs of some rot. i also have an interest in widening it a bit more to cover my surf tabs.

Options I'm considering.
    1. Repair rot teak and keep the same dimensions and restore oils/finish
    2. use original as a mold/plug to build a fiberglass wider version,
    3. get Plasteak.com to build me a new one to my preferred dimensions. (Roughly $0.50/sqin)

https://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-re...swim-platforms
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks pretty familiar. I modified (shortened) ours a bit a couple summers ago to fit into the dock length agreement. Found it was pretty straightforward, the platform itself isn't the tricky part in my estimation. It'll be the brackets. The old style brackets are destroyed on our boat, I assume from being moored stern - out and lots of drive-by surf. This is why I'm planning towards the newer bracket style.

Comment

MY brackets are ok and i hope to re-use them. I'm leaning towards getting Plasteak to make a new one. If that happens i'll be selling this one.

Comment

Interesting. Do you think part of the problem is the tight spacing between boards not allowing the teak to dry out? My only experience with a teak platform was on a 25+ year old MasterCraft. That platform had ~ 1/4" gaps between the slats, and it faired much better than Rusty's.

Comment

I don't think my problem is common. I had a coating encase the whole platform for years to protect it and give it a different look. Turns out it held moisture in and accelerated the rot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

yeah, mine doesn't exhibit the same rot as yours, but it does seem to suffer a bit from a full season stored wet (dreaming of a lift). My drivers are primarily the brackets that are destroyed, and the desire to add back a little real-estate to the platform. I'm going to go ahead and order the plates and brackets and see what it takes to get that custom block milled up. Will share progress back in the thread as I remember to...

Comment

Good luck! I'd love to see the progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Call me weird, but rebuilding a teak platform sounds like an enjoyable project, to me.

Comment

takes one to know one I guess

Comment

Okay, been awhile in the doing, but here goes...
                      First - the new model platform brackets are, in my estimation a significantly better design. They have a two-hole mounting pattern, the old brackets had 4-holes. I downloaded a trial version of Fusion360, and modeled an adapter block that would through-bolt using the existing four holes in the transom, while capturing the head of two bolts for the new bracket - basically turning them into studs. I measured existing bracket for four-hole position, and slotted the bottom of the two-bolt holes just to be sure I had some tolerance in there. After modeling the adapter, I uploaded to an online CNC fab shop who off-shored it to China and I had two blocks CNC milled out of 6061 AL in 8 days.
                      Some pics below
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	block_front_01.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	652969

Name:	block_rear_01.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	652970

Name:	block_bolts_01.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	652971

Name:	block_bracket_01.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	652972

Name:	block_bracket_02.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	652973

Comment

With those built and fit verified, pivoted to the platform build itself. Started with three pieces of 4/4 teak 7" x 84" all +/- straightlined. Got talked into a lower tooth-count blade for my tablesaw vs the finish blade I was leaning towards. Happy I was talked into it, that stuff cuts beautifully. Really enjoyed working with the teak. Took some doing to milk all of the pieces out of those three boards. but I managed. I used the existing platform to template the leading edge against the transom, ended up making the platform a little wider than the original in order to ensure I had the space to clear the brackets. Before anyone asks, yes, I'm sure I used enough fasteners... Build pics below

Name:	platform_build_01.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	652975

Name:	platform_build_03.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	652977

Name:	platform_build_04.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	652978
                        Attached Files

Comment

Finished the platform with half a dozen coats of teak oil, followed by a couple days of touchup/wipedown to pick up any excess

Name:	platform_finish_01.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	652980

Name:	platform_finish_02.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	652981

Name:	platform_finish_03.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	652982

Name:	platform_finish_04.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	652983

Comment

Installation took two nights, first night I forgot to bring the grinder to take the top bolt/stud and nut down to flush so the bracket would sit tight. Bedded a piece of 1/4" delrin in a 3M adhesive/sealant between the adapter block and the fiberglass (also filled holes before feeding bolts through). Tonight came back, ground stud/nut to flush, set the bracket, and blind-fastened the platform. I used a 3/4" kingboard spacer block between the bracket and platform to raise the platform a little to accommodate (at least a little) for frequently submerged platform after filling the bags. some photos below...

Name:	block_install_01.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	652985

Name:	block_install_02.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	652986

Name:	bracket_install_01.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	652987

Name:	platform_install_01.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	652988

Name:	platform_install_02.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	652989

Name:	platform_install_03.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	652990

Name:	platform_install_04.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	652991

Name:	platform_install_05.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	652992

Comment

Originally posted by msquito View Post
                              Before anyone asks, yes, I'm sure I used enough fasteners...
                              LOL!

Fabulous work. It came out beautifully. Great attention to detail. I'm curious about the saw blade you used for the teak and why it was recommended--I've never worked with teak.

Comment

Working...
                              X