Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2006 Nautique 226 - Why No 'Clunk' From Transmission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Nautique 226 - Why No 'Clunk' From Transmission?

This is my first experience with an inboard.

I'm accustomed to a 'clunk' when putting a boat into gear.

The Nautique is quiet as a mouse.

Why is that?

That "clunk" you are used to is likely from an I/O or outboard, correct? The inboard transmission is more like a car transmission...quiet and smooth. If there is some chatter or rattling from the transmission, the damper plate is a likely culprit. In reverse, the PCM transmissions are often referred to as a sewing machine sound.

JQ

Comment

Because inboard transmission have hydraulically activated clutches. I/O transmission are much more primitive and actually just move two gears or cones together. So when you're putting an I/O into gear, you're hearing the gear or cone teeth bang together until the gears are fully meshed.

Comment

Thank you! I appreciate the responses.

Comment

There's a reason these transmissions are branded "velvet drive"
          2004 206 Air Nautique Limited - Black with Vapor Blue (family style)
          1997 Masters Edition Nautique - Zephyr Green - gone (amazing ski wake)
          1982 Mastercraft Powerslot - gone (a primitive but wonderful beast)
          Bellevue WA

Comment

Just wait until you try a DBW transmission, circa 2013 or later. I just traded my 2005 for a 2015 last summer and shifting is smoother than butter!

Comment

That is good to know.

The 2006 226 that I picked up gives no indication of gear engagement whatsoever. Forward or reverse, there is no indication of a gear engagement. It's as if I'm dealing with throttle only.

Comment

Working...
              X