Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing the Ballast Pumps on my '03 Pro Air 216... Need Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the Ballast Pumps on my '03 Pro Air 216... Need Help!

Men,
    I have 2 new Jabsco 22610-9507 Ballast King pumps that I am ready to install into my boat. One of the original ballast pumps died and decided to replace them all with these two pumps. I have everything tore out of the boat and but am unsure of the wiring. The new pumps only have a red and a black wire, so how will it know whether to fill or empty when I connect the wires from the head unit? Has there been a thread created that contains a step by step process for this project? I know I am not the first to attempt it... Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give!
    Brad

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240218_151535.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	673789this is where the project sits currently...

Comment

Does an 03 use a PDM (power distribution module) or an old school analog rocker for the fill/drain? Those reversible impeller pumps draw a ton of amperage and require a switch that reverses the polarity to go from drain to fill. Your boat looks to use dedicated drain and fill aerator pumps.

Comment

It looks similar to this...Click image for larger version

Name:	1198-2.jpg?v-cache=1666687657.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	673803

Comment

That's dash panel typically does typically communicate with a PDM, but I'm not 100% sure because I'm not familiar with your year / model boat.

Here's a link to a PDM that has a picture so you know what it looks like. They are often behind the front driver's side bow seat. On the front side of the driver's firewall.

https://support.enovationcontrols.co...ion-IX3212-PDM

If your boat is using a PDM, the output current is limited to 15 Amps so you can't use a Ballast King pump. It draws too much current. Also if MLA is correct, and your boat is currently using separate aerator pumps with a pump for drain and a pump for fill, then it's going to be hard to convert to a reversible impeller based pump like the ballast king. The PDM can work with either, but it or the keypad would have to be reprogrammed to work with a single reversible pump as opposed to just turning on 2 separate pumps for fill and empty.

Sorry I can't be more help. I'm more of a Nautique slalom boat guy. My Wake Boats are MasterCrafts.

Comment

I am not sure about the PDM... where is it located and I can check? Before ordering the pumps NautiuiqueJeff had told me the dash buttons would still work. I have tried reaching out to him with no response... Anyone know if he is still around?

Comment

Anybody have any info? Have any of you guys done this before?

Comment

I had my dealer do this on my 2004 210. They wired in a series of relays to allow me to control the pump with the buttons on the dash.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Ian S
                2014 SANTE. NSS. Pro balllast. Boatmate trailer
                2004 SANTE. 4000 lb ballast, 2013 graphics (prev). Ramlin trailer
                2009 Moomba Outback (prev). Boatmate trailer

Comment

Ian, How long ago did you have this done? Would you mind sharing who the dealer was or any other info you may have? Do you have a invoice that lists the parts they used? Thank you so much for the info...

Comment

Here is a photo of the progress. Does anyone know how to remove the floor of ski storage trunk in the back? I tried everything and it always binds... I do have a good location to place the pumps now, under the rear seat on each side of the gas tank. Wondering about screwing them into the floor. Does anyone know how much plywood there is before you hit fiberglass?

Name:	20240225_181238.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	673987

Comment

Will they be easily servicable in that location?

Comment

Originally posted by Rednucleus View Post
                        Will they be easily servicable in that location?
                        Yeah, that bottom part of the rear seat slides out pretty easy which will expose the pumps. There is actually alot of room there and it will be somewhat easy to get the hoses there too...

Comment

Originally posted by brad22n View Post
                          Does anyone know how to remove the floor of ski storage trunk in the back? Does anyone know how much plywood there is before you hit fiberglass?

Name:	20240225_181238.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	673987
                          I'm pretty sure that floor just pulls up. I don't believe it had any screws or anything holding it down.

I don't think there's any plywood at all on this boat. I think CC had dropped all of the wood by the time this one was built.

-Charles

Comment

I can get it up to a certain angle, but not matter what I try it gets stuck under the lip. There has gotta be a way, just wondering if someone has a tip or trick!

Comment

just as a follow up in case anyone needs info on this in the future. I ended up returning the fancy ballast king pumps and ordering replacement pumps from Wakemakers that were very similar to the original pumps. Highly recommend wake makers as they know exactly what was in my boat and saved me from a ton of headaches. These other pumps were also much much more affordable than the ballast kings. $50 vs 350. I also did not have to run any new hoses and only needed to buy a one fitting for each pump to get the hose connections to work. Turned a huge project into a very manageable one and everything works with the OEM switches.

I also realized that in order to get the trunk base out you need to be willing to carefully but forcefully bend the base in the center around the control box and lip. Make sure you take off every single plastic cover you can on all the items in there and then carefully work it out being careful not to pinch your fingers.

Comment

Working...
                              X