2008 SANTE Throttle Position Sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 SANTE Throttle Position Sensor?

New to me 2008 SANTE w/ EX343. The transmission engages between F, N, and R fine, but it has to travel a long way forward (almost to 90 degrees) before throttle increases. I believe these boats are throttle by wire. I found another post that mentioned this, but a solution wasn’t ever posted. My thoughts are that it may need a new throttle position sensor? Just wondering if anyone has seen this issue and/or has any ideas about fixing. Thanks!

My 06 uses a potentiometer. I only mention it because you might have trouble finding it using “throttle position sensor”. I replaced mine for another reason - took less than an hour and easy to spot if you open the engine compartment and watch as someone moves the throttle.

Comment

Yes, the EX343 is drive by wire (DBW) but there is still a traditional throttle cable from the lever to the top of the engine. The Throttle Control Position sensor (TCP) is on the top of the engine. It is basically a fancy potentiometer with redundancy and the throttle cable connect to it on the top of the engine. They typically only last around 500-800 hours. You'll probably find that the plastic housing has cracks and is coming apart. Here's the part.

https://nautiqueparts.com/potentiome...-sensor-2007-/

Unfortunately the manufacturer of the original TCP was purchased by another company and stopped making the original part. Nautique / PCM had to change to a different supplier for a substitute part. The new part is calibrated differently so the software in your Engine Computer Module will have to be updated. Most dealers can do that, or you can remove the ECM from the boat and mail it to PCM to be updated.

But before doing that, make sure the cable is actually moving before 90 degrees to rule out that you don't have a mechanical issue with the level and cable. But I suspect you'll find that the TCP housing has cracked badly enough that the sensor is no longer fixed securely to the engine and it's moving around some. And that's why you have to move the lever a lot before the sensor arm actually moves. But when the housing starts deteriorating, the internal sensors usually start getting screwed up as well.

If you have a LINC screen, you can check the engine Diagnostics page. You may see Pedal Position Sensor Errors. If you don't have a LINC screen, someone would need to connect up Diacom to your engine to see those warnings. They don't set the check engine light. But you'll only see those if the internal part of the sensor is failing. If it's just loose and moving around, the engine computer won't be the wiser to that.... If the damage is just physical to the case, you may be able to epoxy the broken housing and get by for a while. But I doubt it'll hold up long term.

Comment

That is the part I used to fix my issue in the post you are referencing. Dealer installed it and had to reflash the engine

Comment

Working...
        X