Fuel Tank and Fuel Line questions - 2006 SANTE 210

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Tank and Fuel Line questions - 2006 SANTE 210

I just purchased a 2006 SANTE 210 and doing some maintenance items before it goes on the water. I have replaced the low-pressure fuel pump and the high-pressure pump in the FCC. While doing this work, I decided to replace the fuel lines. The low-pressure fuel line had red tape around it at the tank and the pump. I am guessing this was done at the factory to identify which line goes to each connection. When I pulled the floor up to connect the lines at the tank, one of the tank connections is painted red on top. See the picture below.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0CABEFDC-0997-4AE4-812C-6F22F2D5B46E_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	827
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	625767
    It looks like the fuel tank has been removed in the past - when they replaced the steering cable, and I wonder if they reconnected the lines correctly. It would seem that the fuel line with the red tape on it would go to the red mark fitting, but it is not connected that way. Does anyone know is there a difference between the two fuel tank connections?

Does it matter which connection goes to the FCC and which one goes to the low-pressure fuel pump?
    '06 SANTE210 - Current Boat
    '06 SV211 TE - Old Boat
    '04 Ski Nautique 196 - Old Boat

Is this under the floor? I have an 06 220 and will be up there on Friday. I’m happy to take a look but probably won’t have time to pull up the floor if that’s where this is.

Comment

Yes - it is under the floor. I have the deck removed and the tank exposed, as you see in the picture. I am trying to figure out if there is a difference in each outlet without opening up the tank.
      '06 SV211 TE - Old Boat

Comment

I am not an expert on gas tanks, but I will tell you what I believe is in this picture and others can confirm or correct me. You have 5 items in that pic:
        1. Sender (larger silver plate with a wire) for the gauge
        2. Fill hose (lets gas in at the pump)
        3. Fuel exit/extractor (how the boat actually gets gas into the engine)
        4. a vent hose (to allow gas fumes to exit)
        5. in the bottom of the pic there is another hose - I am not sure what that is going to but I don't think that is what you're concerned with.

You're asking about 3 and 4. If those were reversed, the boat would not start (or would die really quick) as the engine would suck in air and not fuel. So I don't think they are on wrong. On my boat there is a small fuel vent on the port side of the boat near the gas fill hole. It's circular and you can sometimes see it venting fumes. The boat cover is also stained there. I could be wrong and perhaps 3 and 4 are both vents - can you follow them? If that's the case then #5 is your extractor. One other thing you could look at - those barbs may be different sizes. In other words, hose for 3 may not fit properly on fitting 4 and vice-versa.
        Last edited by jkallen21; 10-01-2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

You are close on the above, but missing the fuel return.

Name:	Screenshot_2.png
Views:	769
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	625798
          Red = Fuel Fill, should be one on both Sides of the Tank
          Blue = Fuel Supply or Return To Fuel Rail
          Yellow = Fuel Supply or Return To fuel Rail
          Purple = Gauge Sending Unit
          Brown = Fuel Tank Vent to Port Side

If the red tape is on the low pressure pump i would assume that that line is the supply line and the other is the return line.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevemo14 View Post
            You are close on the above, but missing the fuel return.

Name:	Screenshot_2.png
Views:	769
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	625798
            Red = Fuel Fill, should be one on both sides of the Tank.
            Blue = Fuel Supply or Return To Fuel Rail
            Yellow = Fuel Supply or Return To fuel Rail
            Purple = Gauge Sending Unit
            Brown = Fuel Tank Vent to Port Side

If the red tape is on the low-pressure pump, I would assume that that line is the supply line, and the other is the return line.
            Your outline above is correct. My question is on the Blue and Yellow arrows that you have outlined. The fuel line with the red tape on it is connected to the low-pressure pump.
            Do you know are both of the connections (fuel pickups) at the tank (blue and yellow arrow) the same? It would seem that the relationship with the red paint would attach to the hose with the red tape. But what do I know, and maybe logic doesn't make sense in this situation.
            Thank you for your input.
            '06 SV211 TE - Old Boat

Comment

That I do not know. I have never had mine off to know what they look like.

Comment

Yellow is the feed to the LP pump. Why? the "connector" between the hose and the aluminum tank fitting is longer than the one on the blue side because it has the spring and ball in it for the anti siphon valve.

Comment

Thank you to everyone for all of the info on the subject. So I guess my theory of red tape to painted red fitting is incorrect. Well, now I can hook up the new fuel lines and see if it still starts.
                  '06 SV211 TE - Old Boat

Comment

Not so fast Mike...here is what I see through the hatch today

And the best I can tell, that red taped line goes to here

The plot thickens...
                    Mine is an 06 SANTE 220
                    Last edited by jkallen21; 10-02-2020, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I can tell you from experience, the lines are not connected as you would think. Ask me how I know. I had the tank out when I was doing my flooring. When I put everything back together. I filled the tank and took the boat out to the lake. It ran just fine but, then quit. Got the boat home and started my troubleshooting, got a fuel pressure guage and found out right away that I didn't have any fuel going into the fuel rail. Found out that the lines were backwards, not what I thought would make sense, red hose to red connector. I was basically pulling in fuel from the return line until it was no longer sucking fuel from the tank. Once I had things connected correctly, things ran fine.

Comment

Based on this pic of my 2003 SANTE mine is the same as yours... red tape is not on the red painted fitting like you’d think. I’ve owned my boat it’s entire life and the only time it had the tank removed was for warranty work that was done at the factory. That was in 2006 and I’ve never had an issue with fuel flow so I’d say it’s correct!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Jason
                        All black 2003 SANTE
                        -- Southern Fried --

Comment

Thank you to everyone who replied - in my case, the line with the red tape did not go to the painted red fitting on the tank. The silver fitting on the tank was the fuel pick up and had a check valve. This is to keep the fuel from running back into the tank. The line running from the FCC goes to the return on the tank, which was marked with the red paint.
                          '06 SV211 TE - Old Boat

Comment

Working...
                          X