New Roswell Aviator Pro on 96 Sport - fibreglass reinforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Roswell Aviator Pro on 96 Sport - fibreglass reinforcement

I will be installing my new Aviator Pro (with flush OEM mounts) to my 96 Sport this week or next. Does anyone have any input if I should try to reinforce the fibreglass under the cap at the mount location?

Jeff...you’ve done a few restorations on this era boat...any opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

As long as your deck thickness is 5/8" or greater, no reinforcement is necessary.

Click image for larger version

Name:	avt.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	619295
    Current Boats —> 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 (On Order) -- 2020 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2003 Air Nautique 226 -- 1981 Fish Nautique (TWIN ENGINE 1 of 3)
    Former Boats —> 2019 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2018 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2017 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2016 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2015 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique G23 — 2013 Super Air Nautique G23 — 2012 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition — 2011 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition — 2010 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition — 2008 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition — 2007 Air Nautique 236 Team Edition -- 2007 Air Nautique SV-211 -- 2003 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition -- 2001 Sport Nautique -- 1999 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1994 Ski Nautique -- 1993 Barefoot Nautique -- 1983 Fish Nautique (TWIN ENGINE 2 of 3) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (SINGLE ENGINE)

Need something for your boat? Please check out our site sponsors! Not only do they offer the best products available, they also support this site.
    NautiqueParts.com - Roswell Marine - SeaDek Marine Products - Delta Propellers - SkiSafe - Xtreme Heaters -- PCM Marine Engines -- PerfectPass - C&S Marine – Touchless Boat Cover

Comment

I put 1/2” HDPE under mine. I did as the instructions said, and used short strand fiberglass filler.

To get the shape I used wadded you foil to make a sort of mold, then I just traced it out on the HDPE then used the jig saw to cut it.

I spread the filler on the top part of the HDPE, set it in place, slide it back and forth a few times, then put a few wood screws in from the top.

Mine is rock solid!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stevemo14 View Post
        I put 1/2” HDPE under mine. I did as the instructions said, and used short strand fiberglass filler.

To get the shape I used wadded you foil to make a sort of mold, then I just traced it out on the HDPE then used the jig saw to cut it.

I spread the filler on the top part of the HDPE, set it in place, slide it back and forth a few times, then put a few wood screws in from the top.

Mine is rock solid!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Great method. Where did you get the HDPE and how thick?

Comment

When installing Aviators on any of our customer boats we always use some aluminium angle pre drilled then covered with Sika on the top side of the angle to bond to the bottom of the deck. This way its light weight provides a larger braced area and the aluminium is resistant to the elements. We have never had any issues doing it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Spud View Post
            When installing Aviators on any of our customer boats we always use some aluminium angle pre drilled then covered with Sika on the top side of the angle to bond to the bottom of the deck. This way its light weight provides a larger braced area and the aluminium is resistant to the elements. We have never had any issues doing it this way.
            I've measured my top cap thickness through the cupholder hole that is nearby. Its 0.386" using a digital calliper, so way less than the required 5/8" min. Would this solution work for thin glass? And just to clarify some of your vocab, "angled aluminium" like a span of L-shaped aluminium? And what kind of Sika, they make many adhesive products.

Comment

We use Sika 291. Yes L shaped aluminium to "span the entire mounting area/surface. The L shaped aluminium combined with the bonding of the 291 Sika has never let us down on any installation..

Comment

Originally posted by Spud View Post
                We use Sika 291. Yes L shaped aluminium to "span the entire mounting area/surface. The L shaped aluminium combined with the bonding of the 291 Sika has never let us down on any installation..
                Amazing. This sounds so much better than making glass peanut butter. I guess I just need to find an L-angle bar wide enough to accommodate the Aviator Pro OEM mount bolt pattern. Would Home Depot carry this? How thick should the the aluminium be?

Comment

3″ x 3″ x 1/4″ aluminium angle
                  3″ x 3″ x 3/8″ aluminium angle

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck-Surfer View Post

Great method. Where did you get the HDPE and how thick?
                    I got it off of amazon, it was like $20.00 1/2" thick. i think the piece i got was 12" x 24"

Comment

Working...
                    X