Cracks at forward edge of tower base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracks at forward edge of tower base

Putting the cover on the boat yesterday I found these cracks on both the port and stbd side of the tower. Dealer is working a warranty claim and said since they are at the forward part of the base and mostly appear to be gel coat only, they aren't structural issues and I'm good to go until the end of the summer. I remember sometime over the last couple years I saw a post about something similar and my search yielded no results. Still a little disconcerting to see it on your brand new boat so I was hoping to get some additional thoughts or experiences on this or if someone can point me in the right direction of the previous posts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61513293462__57FA9A78-9F51-4FBA-BFA0-7E4C8FED3A50.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	614900Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2964.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	614901
    Attached Files

This is general, but probably tilts or mx/tech so mods feel free to move.

Comment

Looks to be spider cracking which is somewhat common in stress areas and easily repaired... It'snot a structure failure, just cosmetic. What is a bit concerning is what looks to be a piece of the gelcoat chipped away right at the tower base. That may just be chipped away when they drilled the holes for the tower or something else. I would suggest checking the bolts to make sure they are tight and if not snug them down.
      Jason
      All black 2003 SANTE
      -- Southern Fried --

Comment

Thanks core-rider - are bolts under the towerb (accessed from a removal of some of the interior) or inside the base when folded down?

Comment

Not completely sure on that model, but if I had to guess I’d say access to the top part with the tower down as well as a bolt/nut on the underside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Jason
          All black 2003 SANTE
          -- Southern Fried --

Comment

Ok I'm checking with the dealer as well. Hope to get torque specs as well. Sometimes overtightened can be just as bad.

Comment

Working...
            X