Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to identify a true GT-40

Hi all,

New to the forum and I've been doing a lot of research regarding a true GT-40. I'm interested in a boat and the guy says it has a gt-40 in it and the engine cover says gt-40 as well. Above that it also says pro boss and that's a little confusing because correct me if I'm wrong but the pro boss is pretty much the same except its carb'd? I'll attach a photo of the engine view from front but am curious if I just need to do a little more looking into the engine when I see it in person or if it can be determined from the photo.

Thanks in advance. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0495.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	591477Click image for larger version

Views:	234
ID:	591478

Originally posted by jrocket View Post
    Hi all,

New to the forum and I've been doing a lot of research regarding a true GT-40. I'm interested in a boat and the guy says it has a gt-40 in it and the engine cover says gt-40 as well. Above that it also says pro boss and that's a little confusing because correct me if I'm wrong but the pro boss is pretty much the same except its carb'd? I'll attach a photo of the engine view from front but am curious if I just need to do a little more looking into the engine when I see it in person or if it can be determined from the photo.

Thanks in advance. Click image for larger version

Views:	267
ID:	591477Click image for larger version

Views:	234
ID:	591478
    The biggest difference are the heads there is a marking 3 bars on the front of the heads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Is the marking visible by just opening the engine cover or does it take some looking to identify it?

Comment

Pro boss is a GT 40. There are a couple of different types to GT 40s out there depending on the year and type of fuel injection system. The pic you show is a good one. I had one in my 97 sport and it was bulletproof.
        2006 SV 211 (Sold)
        97 Sport Nautique (Sold)
        89 PS 190 (Sold)
        05 Fourwinns Horizon 180 (Sold)
        89 Fourwinns 170 Freedom (Sold)
        75 MFG (Sold)

Comment

That is an early year GT-40 1995 -96 the issue with them is the high pressure fuel pump is NLA.
          But there is a work around.

Comment

Working...
          X