Temp fixes for vinyl tears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp fixes for vinyl tears

I know I need to replace most of the vinyl in my boat and fortunately I live only a few hours from C & S. I contacted them too late in the spring to have everything ready for the season so I will be waiting until fall to drop off all the seats.

Due to this, I am left dealing with my shabby interior for this season. I was thinking about a repair kit and stumbled across a product called Tear-Aid which looks like will fit the bill for this one season.

Has anyone used this product or have another they can recommend? Keep in mind I just want to this last for one season but I don't want crappy vinyl tape which will peal up in the sunlight and make a sticky mess.

Here is the amazon link
    https://www.amazon.com/Tear-Aid-Repa...C7W?th=1&psc=1

Thanks in advance..

I haven't used anything like this but it looks like a decent temp solution. Personally if I was doing this and was going to be replacing the vinyl anyway, I would clean seats very well first (LA Awesome gets a lot of crap out but also dries out the vinyl if you dont condition it after) But clean and dried vinyl wouldalso help the patches stick well. Also maybe use a really good super glue (maybe gorilla super glue that has the little brush on the end)....and "Paint" the edges of the patch to help them stay stuck down since in my mind the edges peeling up would be the worst and most possible thing to happen. But you wanna do something so water is not getting down into your foam as it will cause microbial issues since it wont be able to dry out if water gets thru the cracks and below the vinyl.
    If you have small cracks or tears just starting, maybe you can keep them small by putting some super glue on them? Also...when done with patching, condition the seats with 303 to help the vinyl.

Without see pics, my .02.

Comment

for a temp solution it actually works really well..the tape stretches enough that you don't get that wrinkle when you go over a fold or wrinkle. After reading this thread I realized I ordered this over winter waiting for a clear day to use them...

I just ordered a couple more boxes so I could cover more tears that I realized I have...I just want to get thru this season as I find a local upholstery place that will do my repairs next winter
      Last edited by chefred112; 05-02-2019, 02:25 PM. Reason: added more info

Comment

TearAid is awesome stuff. I used some on a wear point on my cover and 6 years later it is still amazingly in place and holding strong. It's outlasting the stitching in other areas.

Comment

+1 for Tear Aid.
          2004 206 Air Nautique Limited - Black with Vapor Blue (family style)
          1997 Masters Edition Nautique - Zephyr Green - gone (amazing ski wake)
          1982 Mastercraft Powerslot - gone (a primitive but wonderful beast)
          Bellevue WA

Comment

some of my tears have grown out from under my tape so i decided I'm going to try something... I bought some marine grade stretch vinyl and I'm going to cut small squares and use spray adhesive to see if that may work...again, just a temp fix til I decide or find someone to upholster it off season.

Comment

Working...
            X