Oil extractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil extractor

I can’t find the old posts, but what is a good all around oil extractor? Looking for an extractor that I can use on a boat, jet ski, and even a car. I think I want an electric pump vs. manual but open to suggestions. Thanks for the help in selecting.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

There are lots of them on Amazon, West Marine, etc. They're all pretty good, actually. It comes down to features.

-Charles

Comment

Pump or 12V? I think I want the 12v.... Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil8uga View Post
        I can’t find the old posts, but what is a good all around oil extractor? Looking for an extractor that I can use on a boat, jet ski, and even a car. I think I want an electric pump vs. manual but open to suggestions. Thanks for the help in selecting.

Motive Products 1702 Power Extractor2 Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EVANLRS..._cctUCbZZZV2YJ

Here is the one I have used for years; very pleased
        Last edited by GMLIII; 04-18-2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Heard good things about the Jabsco 17800-2000. The lesser price Jabscos, not so much. Success with any oil extractor pump comes down to warming up the oil first.

https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-17800-...omotive&sr=1-1
          Last edited by blueroom; 04-18-2019, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Last time I looked the electric pumps we're either unreliable or costly.

Vacuum pump does the job just fine, can't see much advantage with the electric unless I was using it several times a day. For oil changes once or twice a season I'd rather keep it simple.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by blueroom View Post
              Heard good things about the Jabsco 17800-2000. The lesser price Jabscos, not so much. Success with any oil extractor pump comes down to warming up the oil first.

https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-17800-...omotive&sr=1-1
              I have this same one and it works great.

I also have a vacuum extractor and it works great as well. The one I have is called Topsider. If you get this one, make sure you have the rubber o-rings seals in the caps. One came out on mine unbeknownst to me and it will not maintain a vacuum without the o-rings.

As said before, warm oil is the key with any extractor.

And extract the oil from the drain hose off the bottom of the oil pan. Do not use the dipstick tube. I learned that the hard way.
              Last edited by Evening Shade; 04-19-2019, 05:04 AM.
              2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

Comment

+1 on the Topsider. Have used it on 5 different items that required smaller tubing and gets the job done. As stated the warmer the oil the faster it will work. Just changed the PCM transmission oil at about 55 degrees and it worked fine. Just pump it up and let it suck till it was done.
                1998 SN GT40
                84 2001 Ski Nautique (sold)
                Monticello MN.

Comment

I have a mityvac 7400 works great use it on my jet skis and mower also no issues in 4 years

Comment

I also have a vacuum pump oil extractor, easy to use and works very well. 2yrs ago, the best deal I found was on a 2.3 gallon "Holt Industries". Was almost half the price @ $90 (plus I used one of their "super coupons" and got another 20% off so think I paid under $80 including all taxes). I know the Mittyvac system has good reviews but I think that one sells for about $170.
                    The Holt extractor also included multiple extraction lines as well as a line you can use to bleed brakes, etc.

https://www.harborfreight.com/23-gal-manual-fluid-extractor-62643.html?cid=paid_bing|*PLA+-+All+Products+-+Higher+Sales+Items|New+Products+-+%285%29+Price+%2470-100|62643&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&mkwid=D3e 0PH6m|pcrid|{creative}|pkw||pmt|be|pdv|c|slid||pro duct|62643|pgrid||ptaid||&pgrid=1168781154359197&p taid=pla-4576648434760309&pcid=368003290&msclkid=8f8ecf35fa ac19c9235a938ee45e7979

I agree that a motor really isn't needed for something like this, you pay a lot more up front and likely get a much shorter service life cause its useless if the pump stops working. Probably pretty easy tho, I have not tried one with a motor.
                    Warming the oil gets the job done MUCH faster and pulls out more fluid. I pumped out the engine oil without warming it once cause I had the engine torn apart (plugs, impeller and belt were off) and I didn't want to put it all back together to start the boat for 10mins since I was still waiting on the parts to get here, I wont make that mistake again tho. I got most of it out in about 30mins but to get the last bits out had to go back every 30mins to pump it up. I ended up leaving the extractor on overnight so I could do it a couple times the next morning just to get as much out as possible.

This also works great for removing transmission oil on boat, plus fluid changes all my small engines like lawn mowers, generators, etc.

Previous to that, I had one of the $40 Jabsco hand pumps. I would put down cardboard and towels in rear locker, clamp the one end to the oil drain hose, put the other end of the hose in the bucket and after roughly 10mins of pumping it would drain all engine oil. Worked pretty well but it wasn't nearly as versatile as the new one and much more hands on since it didnt keep a vacuum or have a built-in container for the old fluid to be collected, so you also always ended up with a dirty collection container to deal with.
                    Last edited by Infinity; 04-20-2019, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Mityvac 7201, absolutely love it. I have no worries carrying it in the boat and setting it on the carpet during oil changes.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I just ordered the mityvac off amazon. I appreciate all the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Evening Shade View Post

I have this same one and it works great.

I also have a vacuum extractor and it works great as well. The one I have is called Topsider. If you get this one, make sure you have the rubber o-rings seals in the caps. One came out on mine unbeknownst to me and it will not maintain a vacuum without the o-rings.

As said before, warm oil is the key with any extractor.

And extract the oil from the drain hose off the bottom of the oil pan. Do not use the dipstick tube. I learned that the hard way.
                          Hey Evening Shade: what happened when you tried to extract oil thru the dip stick hole?

Just curious

I’ve got the Topsider on the way.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MrJake View Post

Hey Evening Shade: what happened when you tried to extract oil thru the dip stick hole?

Just curious

I’ve got the Topsider on the way.

Thanks

Most likely the extractor got stuck and he couldn't get it out. Happened to a buddy of mine on his Mastercraft. Just thread the extractor tube down the oil changer hose. It's right there, and in the lowest point of the oil pan. There's no better way to get as much of the old oil out as possible.

Comment

Sounds good.

Comment

Working...
                              X