Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed on driver's seat upholstery skin removal problem ('97 Ski Nautique)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed on driver's seat upholstery skin removal problem ('97 Ski Nautique)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190130_221645.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	576107I'm pulling the skins off my '97 to have them duplicated. I've run into a problem with the driver's seat. The seat back has three cushions (pillows) for the upper back. I have not been able to figure out how to remove them. I can't tell if the three cushions are done first and then attached, or somehow the skins are stapled in on the seat (with the pillow foam already attached). I was able to get the back up and found four bolts that hold a plate that I think the pillows are attached to. However, they have nylon locking nuts, and I was only able to get one off; the other three just spin. So I'm stuck. No idea how to get it off. Anyone ever done this? I was hoping to get them off today (Sunday) so I could send them out tomorrow. But no luck so far.

Thanks in advance.

GordonClick image for larger version

Name:	drivers seat pillow mounting bolts.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	576109
    Attached Files

Name:	1997 Drivers backrest install.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	576116 I can help with this one. Got a good picture from Christines Marine. There are screws between the "Buns" that you should be able to find. Once you loosen those you can just bang the whole thing up and it comes right off.
    Last edited by MTRBTR; 02-10-2019, 06:49 PM.
    2006 SV 211 (Sold)
    97 Sport Nautique (Sold)
    89 PS 190 (Sold)
    05 Fourwinns Horizon 180 (Sold)
    89 Fourwinns 170 Freedom (Sold)
    75 MFG (Sold)

Comment

Here is what it looks like when you get it off. The screws are just drilled into the plastic and you can see once you unscrew then you just push the whole thing up and it will come off those brackets. You don't need to mess with those bolts you are looking at, at all.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5466.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.3 KB ID:	576115

It goes back on pretty easily once you get it reupholstered. The hardest part was getting the upholstery fitted right when before you install it back.
      2006 SV 211 (Sold)
      97 Sport Nautique (Sold)
      89 PS 190 (Sold)
      75 MFG (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by MTRBTR View Post

Name:	1997 Drivers backrest install.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	576116 I can help with this one. Got a good picture from Christines Marine. There are screws between the "Buns" that you should be able to find. Once you loosen those you can just bang the whole thing up and it comes right off.
        I found the screws! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MTRBTR View Post
          Here is what it looks like when you get it off. The screws are just drilled into the plastic and you can see once you unscrew then you just push the whole thing up and it will come off those brackets. You don't need to mess with those bolts you are looking at, at all.
          Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5466.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.3 KB ID:	576115

It goes back on pretty easily once you get it reupholstered. The hardest part was getting the upholstery fitted right when before you install it back.
          I see now that I don't have to mess with the bolts, but didn't find that out until after I used a dremel to put two flat spots on the bolts so I could get vice grips on them to hold the bolt while I used a box wrench to get the nuts off. Need new bolts, but can put them back on now so I'm ready when I get everything back. Quick (I hope) question:

How are those skins for the 'pillows" put back on. Looks like they used glue to attach the top and bottom foam after the middle skin was stapled. I managed to lift the foam off enough to get the old skins out, but I can see it not being terribly easy to make it look good before I reinstall.

I did the combing pads on my '96 before I sold it and it wasn't too bad. Hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew with the driver's seat. I'm doing that and the observer seat, then the engine compartment and then the two combing pads. Don't know when I'll get to the rear seats since I only use them one or two days a year....

Comment

I only did one of the pads and yes it was very hard to make look right. I did it all with staples. It has been a while but it seemed like there was a sequence to it. You had to do one before the other if I remember right. Take lots of pictures of how your old ones come off.
            2006 SV 211 (Sold)
            97 Sport Nautique (Sold)
            89 PS 190 (Sold)
            75 MFG (Sold)

Comment

Working...
            X