Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat cut out mid session, possible fuel issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat cut out mid session, possible fuel issue?

Hi guys. Just took my 2011 210 Coastal (409) out for the firs time this summer after it has been in the workshop for some exhaust replacements over winter.

Boat ran absolutely fine at various speeds and loads for about two hours. We were just busy changing riders and it spluttered and died and the check engine light came on.

Engine temperature was fine and oil level fine. The boat had the inline filter changed but not the FCC. Fuel level read 1/3 on the gauge. I tried to restart and it fired up just fine but spluttered again and then would start after that. Got towed home.

I am assuming it is a fuel supply problem based on my reading on the forum. I plan to put more fuel in now and replace the FCC filter. If that doesn't resolve the problem where should I be looking next? I understand the low pressure pump is a possibility...

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Just a follow up on this. Put more fuel in and checked both fuel pumps were getting power. Removed and replaced pump relay and checked all fuses. No apparent problems. Boat started and idled on first try. Switched it off after 5 seconds. Tried again, same problem, turned over but no start. Then checked voltage on plugs for pumps. FCC got 12V, couldn't read low pressure as pin too small. Reconnected plugs and tried again with hose pipe on. Boat started right up and got to temp. Stop and start 5-6 times no problems. Seems I wasn't able to reproduce the failure. My concern is that there is an underlying issue that might re surface later on. I haven't replaced FCC filter yet but will tomorrow morning. Are fuel pumps known to give intermittent failure before they need replacing? Should I be looking at the relay?

thanks

Comment

My 330 acted funny like that. It was my low pressure pump.

To be safe, I replaced the low pressure fuel pump and high pressure pump on the FCC along with filters. No problem since.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Comment

On my 330, Lp pump went out all of a sudden with no intermittent issues. Just went dead altogether. Replaced and all good since.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

On my 330, Lp pump went out all of a sudden with no intermittent issues. Just went dead altogether. Replaced and all good since.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

An update on this one. Still not at a diagnosis but have eliminated some possibilities.

boat starts and runs intermittently, seemingly randomly. When it does the check engine light remains on at all times. Sometimes it idles for a long time then won't restart and sometimes it stutters and dies after about an hour of use.

I have noticed both ignition and pump relays getting hot.

I have:

-checked and changed FCC filter.
            -Blown air back through fuel pickup in tank (fitting was very tight to remove properly and inspect)
            -Tested fuel pressure at rail: 60psi at key turn and cranking.
            -cleaned and reconnected all sensor plugs.
            -changed fuel and ignition relays.

I was 90% on this being a fuel issue but now it seems it isn't

Any ideas?

Comment

I would go after the check engine light. Why is it on??? Temp, Oil Pressure or ??? Not sure about your 2011 as to how many things will turn the CE light on and what it will do to the computer as far as preventing the engine from running and destroying itself??? Can you read codes from a 2011???
              1998 SN GT40
              84 2001 Ski Nautique (sold)
              Monticello MN.

Comment

Follow up on progress. Got the diacom on it and it showed a CPS and cam sensor error. Cleaned up the plugs back there and there was a little corrosion. Seems ok now after one test run. Hopefully that is the end of it and sensor itself isn't faulty. Time will tell. Thanks for all the input.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

I was gonna suggest to check for corrosion at all connections, including grounds. Especially a coastal edition if running the boat in salt water, this can become an issue quickly at electrical connections and cause weird issues in places that may seem unrelated. May be worth checking the connections at fuses too. Once connections/grounds are cleaned, would not be a bad idea to add some dielectric grease since its a non-conductive, silicone based grease designed to seal out moisture and prevent corrosion at electrical connections. (note, it wont help a "poor connection" by just adding grease to it, you gotta clean it well and make sure connection is good before adding a little grease...this just helps prevent future corrosion at the connection by keeping moisture out).
                  There does seem to be some controversy about using this grease for a couple reasons since it "outgases", is an insulator, can attract dirt and harden over time, etc...so another options is a "contact enhancer/lube", some of them deoxidize the surface and work to lower the contact resistance, therefor making a better connection.

I am by no means an expert on this, have just read up on this since helping a friend chase an issue last summer that ended up being a bad connection at a ground that cause all kinds of things that seemed unrelated and made it very frustrating to figure out what the issue was. He replaced a bunch of parts that did nothing to fix the issue before figuring out that a bad connection was causing all the problems. (not saying this is your issue for sure, have just seen a few people chase gremlins due to a corrosion issue.
                  Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X