Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

g series tunable rudder, any point adjusting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g series tunable rudder, any point adjusting?

Does anyone tune their rudder on a g boat? wondering if there is a way to help with prop torque...

Or steering? When i got my g last year it was adjusted way to the right. And of course i adjusted it to the middle...So far not noticed a difference.

What do others think? Anyone really play with this?

p.s. below pic does not represent a g boat...just a pic to show what we are talking about...

Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder.JPG
Views:	1901
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	554877

Originally posted by scottb7 View Post
    Does anyone tune their rudder on a g boat? wondering if there is a way to help with prop torque...

Or steering? When i got my g last year it was adjusted way to the right. And of course i adjusted it to the middle...So far not noticed a difference.

What do others think? Anyone really play with this?

p.s. below pic does not represent a g boat...just a pic to show what we are talking about...

Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder.JPG
Views:	1901
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	554877
    I played around with mind after I first purchased the boat for the same reason, trying to deal with the torque issue with no success. I basically put mind back at center and purchased 250 lbs of shot ballast bags and placed under my port observer seat and my torque issue was solved in an instant.

Comment

Wanted to clarify as I am looking at this on my boat. I have some lead on the port side but the boat pulls to the right...my understanding is adjusting this to the left should solve that issue?

Comment

I had to put it back to the right to keep it tracking straight when hands are off the steering wheel.

Comment

It won’t overcome the prop torque by itself, but I did find that after adding 250 port side adjusting it full right was the difference in the boat tracking straight at 20-25 mph vs having a slight pull to the right

Comment

I drilled mine out a little to get it further right and really seemed to help a lot with the steering holding straight or keep from fighting it all day

Comment

Originally posted by WakeDad View Post
              It won’t overcome the prop torque by itself, but I did find that after adding 250 port side adjusting it full right was the difference in the boat tracking straight at 20-25 mph vs having a slight pull to the right
              Yep the addtional 250 lbs( I used steel shots bags under port observer seat) portside makes all the difference. I think this will solve most of your problem. I would try that before messing with rudder tweaking.

Comment

I thought the tune-able rudder was to take the slop of the steering and offset any torque steer, not to offset any loading. Not sure if this is an issue with hydraulic steering. For loading, trim tabs would be used to level the boat side to side and trim.

Comment

Originally posted by srock View Post
                  I thought the tune-able rudder was to take the slop of the steering and offset any torque steer, not to offset any loading. Not sure if this is an issue with hydraulic steering. For loading, trim tabs would be used to level the boat side to side and trim.
                  Portside weight helped offset torque steer as well. The only trim tab on these boats is the NCSR which helps with planning

Comment

I've never tried adjusting mine, but maybe I should. If I let go of the steering wheel at speed my boat pretty quickly turns rather than staying on a straight course. I can't remember if turns left or right.
                    2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

Comment

Working...
                    X